The accused Kansas killer's racist neo-pagan religion

(CNN) – Frazier Glenn Cross is a white supremacist, an avowed anti-Semite and an accused killer. But he is not, as many think, a Christian.

But according to Cross’ 1999 biography, he is an adherent of Odinism, a neo-pagan religion that experts say has emerged as one the most vicious strains in the white supremacist movement.

religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/04/14/frazier-glenn-cross-racist-religion/

The 73-year-old has espoused anti-Semitism for decades. He also founded racist groups like a branch of the Ku Klux Klan and the White Patriot Party, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Both groups have deep ties to Christian white supremacists.

Well, I guess the neo-pagan white supremacists and the Christian white supremacists are working together now. Dangerous stuff.

I am not a fan of the SPLC, but some of the comments on their page…

Your daily dose of crazy.

God willing the authorities do something about this group. I wouldn’t see them as a religious group but as a gang.

I agree. But all they have to do is declare their group as some sort of new religion or religious branch and they have all the rights afforded by the “freedom of religion” part of our constitution. It is disgusting.

Years ago, while taking the bus, I experienced a group of white supremacists boarding the bus and handing everyone their hate literature. I quickly tossed mine to the ground as soon as I realized what it was. Most people on the bus did the same.

These people are bold, aggressive and dangerous. And folks should not think there is anyplace they don’t reside. It is hard to believe or understand how people can insist on being so filled with hate and ignorance.

I imagine there are many people who would agree with everything in this post with simply changing the part in bold to “Catholics”, especially regarding the Church’s teaching on human sexuality. I guarantee you the Southern Poverty Law Center would agree as well.

We have a group operating not far from where I live. I may only hope they do not have plans to creep closer in an attempt to spread their rubbish. I know we must pray for these people…But they can really try your patience. Such dreadful things they preach, all laced with tiresome ignorance. I grow annoyed just thinking about it. As well, their propensity for violence and cruelty, as we have recently seen, is frighteningly high. :dts:

I hope they don’t do such a thing,

Just FYI, there are Asatru (people who follow the Nordic gods) who are not racist slimebags. All of the ones I have met are not.

This is not saying that there aren’t some Asatru who are racist - just like racist Christians who use religion to justify their bigotry, there are pagans who use their paganism to justify theirs.

From what little I understand, this is a big issue in the Asatru community.

I find it interesting that the three people who were killed were all Christians.

So you’re using a thread about a murderous neo-pagan white supremacist and his Christian white supremacist allies to complain about the SPLC? That seems odd to me. Just my 2 cents.

“Frazier Glenn Cross is a white supremacist, an avowed anti-Semite and an accused killer. But he is not, as many think, a Christian.”

“Both groups have deep ties to Christian white supremacists.”

Aw, darn it, he isn’t Christian. Now the media is going to have to guilt Christians by saying his “group” has “deep ties” - whatever the heliopolis those are - to evil Christian white supremacists.

What are “deep ties”? When somebody post a random comment in a forum - that’s a “tie”. Even if everyone in that forum disagrees with what gets posted, even if they later ban the guy, the media reports it as a “tie”. That is as if a terrorist publishes a letter in a newspaper - that would then be a “tie” between that newspaper publisher, editor, writers, with terrorism!

Or if a black supremacist posted on Catholic Forums - that would mean there is a “tie” between the Catholic church and black supremacy.

It is more accurate to call Cross an ‘accidentally white’ “white opportunist” than an intentionally rational “supremacist”. The liberal Daily Beast charges that if prosecutors had actually prosecuted him for earlier crimes, instead of plea-bargain with him, he would not have had the opportunity to do what he did in Kansas… Don Black, who runs a major “pro-White” website, says white nationalists have long shunned the alleged killer—and it’s people like him who give the movement a bad name.

If Cross killed because of race or religion, I think he acted as a rogue agent. There are those, and they are terrorists. And most of them should not be plea-bargained with. I am not going to let those individual rogues and terrorists trick me into stereotyping the more common, non-violent racists who only talk about it (a thought-crime in some countries). Some people can be reasoned with. I doubt I would have any success with Cross, but I hope I’ve had a positive influence on the more rational, peaceful (“non-violent”) ones.

The SPLC is another hate group. Their hate is more acceptable in modern society. 70 years ago, anti-semitism was more acceptable. We’ve yet to see what kind of hate 70 years in the future will be acceptable in civilized company.

I’m not a fan of the SPLC, but I’m also not going to start comparing them to the Aryan Nation or anything. Come on, man. Between the hate on MLK, Jr. threads, the ones about interracial dating and now this one, I’m beginning to lose it. When you go through all these hoops to deflect blame from white supremacists, it makes us all look silly.

To me “Christian” and “white supremacist” have no business even being in the same sentence. :mad::bigyikes:

You and me both.

Plus, how they resolve the whole Jesus being a Jew thing is beyond me.

My sister had an encounter once in the restaraunt where she was a server. She landed up waiting on this table that was bent on teaching the two to three year old with them about how stupid women were as well as anyone of color. They used endless profanity, were loud and intimidating to a cook there, that was Hispanic.

It was near closing time so my sister and the cook were the only one’s there. The group offered her a $20.00 tip, while expressing their desire to “kill” the cook. (Not what they called him of course.) She threw the money in their faces and told them to get out. She told me she was sure they were going to kill her and the cook. SCARY.
She wanted so much to just take that little boy that was with them and get him out of their lives. It really made her sick.

Well, that’s good for you. I, however, am not so discriminating about hate. For me, hate does compare to hate. Whether the object of hate is some particular race, or some particular religion, or some particular economic class, I see it all as a manifestation of the same evil. Accusing me, if that is what you are doing, of “deflecting blame”, I see as a tactic to get me to restate what I said or change my belief. I see no reason to do that.

“Christian” appears in many oxymorons, doesn’t it. I do agree that the Christianity taught by Jesus excludes the possibility of any race supremacism and the like. Sometimes “Christian” seems to be used as a cultural definition rather than a religious one.

They have to deny that Jesus even was a Jew. The one thing I remember one saying was that Jesus was the son of a Roman. Oh, well, why not go all the way, then and convert to Mithraism; that would get them even farther from Judaism. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.