The age of the world according to Protestants

How do protestants that believe that the world is just 6000 years old or so reconcile the moutains of physical evidence to the contrary?

Hi,

Well I believe it to be more like 10,000 years old:D I dont think that there is a mountain of evidence. IMHO carbon dating is flawed. I also believe that Noah’s flood is what caused much of what scientists think took millions of years. Now I am not a scientist and I have not read all the christian books out there that back up my beliefs so I really couldnt give you an intellectual debate on this.:o

There are many christian archeologists that have written exactly about this.

Now, will this topic make or break my belief in God–NO. For me it is about faith. I do not get all hung up on what the scientist say because they constantly change their minds anyway.:thumbsup:

Hopefully someone else can give you more facts.
I ma curious why you directed this specifically at protestants. What does the CC believe? Or any other faith for that matter.

There are many methods other than carbon dating and indeed a mountain of evidence that suggests a much older earth than 10000 years

What would even give you the idea of only 6000-10000 years old? That’s only about as long as man kind on a large scale have been around. I honestly don’t understand or see why. Not sure if I gree with science and the millions and billions and so on, but definately much longer than a few milleniums.

You can TELL that it is old just by the smell of it.
Dirt smells old to me.
WP

Hi,
Well, I guess I would have to ask how long Adam and Eve have been around and then my answer would go from there. If Adam was created 10,ooo years ago then I will believe that is how old the earth is if he was created 1 million years ago then I will believe that is how old the earth is. I guess for me it goes back to the creation story. I know there are books out there that say they prove the age of the earth to be young I have just not researched it enough to give you an intelligent answer.:o

It’s not an issue dividing Protestant from Catholic; it’s an issue between a segment of Fundamentalism, whether Protestant or Catholic, & “the rest”, whether Christian, agnostic or whatever.

Yep, but then fundies have always been a weird bunch. Remember when they thought dark skin was the mark of Cain and used it as an excuse to promote slavery? I bet their faces are red! HAHA!

I had watched a video about the young earth dating, and the evidence they showed for the creation of the Grand Canyon being caused by the flood was pretty weak. I had attended Northern Arizona University and took geology classes, where we really went into depth about the Grand Canyon. The video says that scientist don’t know how the Grand Canyon was created, and that is somewhat true, since they were not there at the time, but all the science points to there being many times which seas covered the area, and retreated. Also times the area was covered by huge sand dunes also. As there was “uplift” of the ground, the Colorado River was able to cut thur and create the canyon. But it was not only water erosion that created the canyon, there was also wind erosion. Therefore you can get the “meandering river” inside a deep canyon.
Their claim about the layers of the canyon is based on what they have found at Mt St. Helens in Washington, after the floods of mud and debris after the eruption, it settled into layers. Thought they are somewhat similar, they do not explain the Grand Canyon.
Sorry this is long, but I wanted to point out that things we see in nature point to the earth being older that 6 - 10 thousand years old.
God did create everthing, but we can’t read Genesis as a scientific journal, it is real history yes, but it is written in a way we do not write today, it is written as jewish biblical history.
I like the statement that science can tell us how God created, but the Bible tells us why he created.

I don’t think the world is 10,000 yrs old. I do believe base on the evidence that the earth is 4.567 billion years.

Modern geologists, based on extensive and detailed scientific evidence, consider the age of the Earth to be around 4.567 billion years (4.567×109 years). This age represents a compromise between the oldest-known terrestrial minerals – small crystals of zircon from the Jack Hills of Western Australia – and astronomers’ and planetologists’ determinations of the age of the solar system based in part on radiometric age dating of meteorite material and lunar samples.

The radiometric age dating evidence from the zircons further confirms that the Earth is at least 4.404 billion years old. Comparing the mass and luminosity of the Sun to the multitudes of other stars, it appears that the solar system cannot be much older than those rocks. Ca-Al-rich inclusions (inclusions rich in calcium and aluminium) – the oldest known solid constituents within meteorites which are formed within the solar system – are 4.567 billion years old, giving an age for the solar system and an upper limit for the age of the Earth. It is assumed that the accretion of the Earth began soon after the formation of the Ca-Al-rich inclusions and the meteorites. Since the accretion time of the Earth is not exactly known yet, and the predictions from different accretion models vary between several millions up to about 100 million years, the exact age of the Earth is difficult to define.

In the centuries preceding the scientific revolution, the age of the Earth was determined from the accounts of creation by religious authority. Today some religious groups continue to accept only theological accounts regarding the age of the earth, rejecting scientific evidence which contradicts their beliefs.

I don’t think the 4 billion yrs old contradict the Bible. Numbers in the Bible are merely written as symbolic and are not to be taken literally.

Peter put it best. “But there is one thing my friends, that you must never forget: that with the Lord, ‘a day’ can mean a thousand years, and a thousand years is like a day.” **2 Peter 3:8;

God is outside time. You also have to keep in mind time itself is only a measure of time. An rotation of the earth is 24 hours, and it circle the sun for one year.

We cannot place limits on God… He could certainly have created the earth with a Grand Canyon that was “new” but already looked millions of years old.

As for the rotation etc… only a theory. We cannot prove or disprove which circles which… the sun or the earth. Both are only theories even though most of us simply accept the earth revolves around the sun. Even the astronauts could not tell. Guess we have to get outside the universe with God to see the whole picture;)

I agree with you. The Catholic Church doesn’t take a stand one way or the other on the age of the earth. Catholics are free to believe what science teaches or believe in a young earth.

1. Not all Protestants are Young Earth Creationists (in fact, the majority are not), and

2. Some Catholics are Young Earth Creationists.

So, your question should be, why do some people believe the world is only 6000 years old?

But what would be the point of such a question on the “Non-Catholic Religions” forum of a Catholic Message Board?

You accept this info only on faith. What Evidence? Can you point me to it. How do you know that these minerals are so old? Does any of these dating systems take into account that Light is decaying, and not a constant.

It amazes me that people find any science more credible than the Word that came from God Himself.

The radiometric age dating evidence from the zircons further confirms that the Earth is at least 4.404 billion years old.

How does it confirm it?

Romans 1

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.
24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, 25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

Comparing the mass and luminosity of the Sun to the multitudes of other stars, it appears that the solar system cannot be much older than those rocks. …

Who caused the formation? This is not evidence, just theories

In the centuries preceding the scientific revolution, the age of the Earth was determined from the accounts of creation by religious authority. Today some religious groups continue to accept only theological accounts regarding the age of the earth, rejecting scientific evidence which contradicts their beliefs.

What Evidence??? Where is it??

I don’t think the 4 billion yrs old contradict the Bible. Numbers in the Bible are merely written as symbolic and are not to be taken literally.

If you change the meaning of days and such to whatever you want, sure. But anyone honestly reading the Bible cannot agree with evolution.

Gen 1

5 God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.

The Bible clearly says one day.

Peter put it best. “But there is one thing my friends, that you must never forget: that with the Lord, ‘a day’ can mean a thousand years, and a thousand years is like a day.” **2 Peter 3:8;

This does not mean that God created the world 4 billion years ago. The creation happened in 6 days as the Bible says.

God is outside time. You also have to keep in mind time itself is only a measure of time. An rotation of the earth is 24 hours, and it circle the sun for one year.

And based on this simple thing you said, we can assume that the creation story happened in 6 literal days:

Gen 1

5 God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.

One thing I know is Adam was a person because Jesus’s genology is traced all they way back to Adam. Therefore Adam was a real person.

Luke 3

23 Now Jesus Himself began His ministry at about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, the son of Heli, 24 the son of Matthat,[d]the son of Levi, the son of Melchi, the son of Janna, the son of Joseph, 25 the son of Mattathiah, the son of Amos, the son of Nahum, the son of Esli, the son of Naggai, 26 the son of Maath, the son of Mattathiah, the son of Semei, the son of Joseph, the son of Judah, 27 the son of Joannas, the son of Rhesa, the son of Zerubbabel, the son of Shealtiel, the son of Neri, 28 the son of Melchi, the son of Addi, the son of Cosam, the son of Elmodam, the son of Er, 29 the son of Jose, the son of Eliezer, the son of Jorim, the son of Matthat, the son of Levi, 30 the son of Simeon, the son of Judah, the son of Joseph, the son of Jonan, the son of Eliakim, 31 the son of Melea, the son of Menan, the son of Mattathah, the son of Nathan, the son of David, 32 the son of Jesse, the son of Obed, the son of Boaz, the son of Salmon, the son of Nahshon, 33 the son of Amminadab, the son of Ram, the son of Hezron, the son of Perez, the son of Judah, 34 the son of Jacob, the son of Isaac, the son of Abraham, the son of Terah, the son of Nahor, 35 the son of Serug, the son of Reu, the son of Peleg, the son of Eber, the son of Shelah, 36 the son of Cainan, the son of Arphaxad, the son of Shem, the son of Noah, the son of Lamech, 37 the son of Methuselah, the son of Enoch, the son of Jared, the son of Mahalalel, the son of Cainan, 38 the son of Enosh, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God.

Since we know Jesus to be real, He cannot descend from fake people.

Rbarcia, you cant just disagree with evolution (of any form) just because the Bible says so. If you want to find real answers you need to assume the bible is wrong and look at scientific data objectively and come to your own conclusions accordingly.

As for quoting Genisis, it gets tricky understanding it. In some of the earliest renditions it seems to suggest YHWH (God) is king of other gods, the snake is just a snake, adam represents ALL of mankind and not a singular person, Eve represents life etc.

For as nice as the bible may be, you need to remember it was written a long time ago and the authors were very ignorant by todays standards.

Why did God create everthing in 6 days and rest the 7th day.
He could have done it in a blink of an eye.
One of the reasons that the creation is in 7 days, is because the number 7 in hebrew is the same word as oath. God was swearing an oath with mankind, he was making a covenant. The purpose of the creation account is not to give us a scientific account of creation, but to tell us that God created everthing with us in mind.
We as Catholics have to believe that there was an Adam and Eve, the first human parents, but the Church does not teach on how the creation account happened, wether it was 7 days, or 7 billion years. The church does say that it is real history. We can as Catholics believe it was done in six 24 hour days, or it took billions of years, but we have to believe that God did create, and that Adam and Eve were real people, and the first humans, and every human has decended from them.

Hi,
I agree with you. I believe in 6 day creation because I see Genesis very clearly(IMHO) Someone else could see it differently(which we all know happens here:p ) The most important point to remember is that God created all of it. We need to give Glory to Him not some scientist who thinks their theory is the correct one especially if it goes against the bible.:thumbsup:

Oh God is outside time and space.

Rotation a theory? Ok. How many hours are in a day? 24 hours, how days are there in a year? 365 days? You are telling me that this is a theory? You don’t think the earth spins on its axis, when in fact it does?

Time is a measurement period that is a fact. God is outside time. In the Bible, when numbers are use they are symbolic, and have a symbolic meaning.

You must understand that science itself seeks out the truth. In time, science will know that there is a God because God is the Truth.

All other theories like Big Bang is a theory since it is not proven.

I know there are some creationist out there that claim that dinosaurs and man live side by side, but fossil evidence so that is not true.

Dinosaurs died 65 millions ago. Man appear shortly there after (though I don’t know the exact date).

I also like to add when it comes to science it also have to show that God was the chief architect when he created to universe.

rbarcia,

What Peter said is that God is outside the boundaries of time and space. The passage does not say that the world is 5 billion yrs old.

As a Catholic, I am free to believe in that God create the world in 6 days, or believe that it took 6 billion yrs to be created.

I don’t doubt God’s creation account. I found carbon dating accurate and it has been proven numerous time to be accurate. In fact, carbon dating is sometimes use for crime scene to find time of death of a victim.

It turns out to be very true. The Earth my friend is about 4 billions yrs old and that is a fact and not a belief.

The Big Bang is a theory because its base on thesis by scientists. Though there has been proof that it exist because the observation made by astronomers using Cosmic Background Radiation. One scientist pointed out that the more he looks at the mystery of the universe, it only shows that it had a beginning, and it was design by an intelligent being.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.