The Alien in the White House - The distance between the president and the people is beginning to be revealed

"The Alien in the White House
The distance between the president and the people is beginning to be revealed.

The deepening notes of disenchantment with Barack Obama now issuing from commentators across the political spectrum were predictable. So, too, were the charges from some of the president's earliest enthusiasts about his failure to reflect a powerful sense of urgency about the oil spill."...

Entire article here: online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703302604575294231631318728.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

I'm surprised that nobody has commented on this article. Maybe they haven't read beyond the intro paragraph I posted. If it helps, the article is not about where Obama was born. Excerpt below:

"...A great part of America now understands that this president's sense of identification lies elsewhere, and is in profound ways unlike theirs. He is hard put to sound convincingly like the leader of the nation, because he is, at heart and by instinct, the voice mainly of his ideological class. He is the alien in the White House, a matter having nothing to do with delusions about his birthplace cherished by the demented fringe."...

This commentary from "America's Right" contains similar thoughts, excerpt follows.

"Obama’s Wild Imagination

...Obama does not truly identify as an American because he wasn’t raised as one. His father was a radical Kenyan exchange student who disowned him. His mother left him with his aging grandparents and went off to travel the world visiting hippy communes, eventually settling in Indonesia married to an Indonesian Muslim whose name young Barry eventually took.

And when Mrs. Obama-Soetoro finally did send for her son, it was to raise him as a Muslim in Indonesia, not as an American in America. Of course, this is not to say that Muslim children raised in the United States are any less patriotic than their Judeo-Christian, Buddhist, Agnostic, Atheist or insert-belief-here friends. I highlight his being raised Muslim because Obama’s formative years were spent in Jakarta, Indonesia. Indonesia has the world’s largest Muslim population, and as a result, even though unofficial, Sharia law most certainly crept into everyday life. He grew up hearing anti-American, anti-Semitic, and anti-Christian rhetoric. Those years weren’t spent on baseball fields, at BBQ’s and Fourth of July and Veteran’s Day parades, as would those years for Muslim kids in America. Obama never had patriotism embedded into his soul like so many other American kids. Furthermore, upon coming back to the States, he entered the most liberal programs in the most liberal schools, then admired and socialized with radicals of the Alinsky sort. His foray to Pakistan, on an Indonesian passport, to this day is a mystery.

Is it really a surprise that he doesn’t feel passionate about this country, and he doesn’t despise her enemies with all his heart? No, not at all. Being raised an internationalist, and as a child hearing the ills and evils of America, he knows no other way but to see our enemies perspectives and hear them out. While this naively academic approach might be acceptable at Columbia or the United Nations, it is nothing short of dangerous when practiced from the Oval Office. Despite what the far left would have us believe, a president’s first job is to protect his nation’s citizens at all costs. Barack Hussein Obama fails miserably in that capacity."...

Entire commentary here: americasright.com/?p=4596

Well, the distance? That's why he got less votes in 11/08 and lost the election.

I personally saw him in a 4th of July parade (down 53rd street) about ten years ago. He happens to fit in quite nicely in this neighborhood, the same one which influenced Mike McConnell, John Ashcroft, and Ramsey Clark.

His high support numbers had to come down to reality, didn't they?

Glad you said it, because he seems alien to me as well. I'm not a "birther", and there is "alien" and "alien" and "alien". But there really is something "alien" about him.

It has long seemed to me he doesn't fit the role of a person governing the U.S. His ideas, to the extent we know what they are, are odd and alien to most. His demeanor is detached and remote, seemingly even from his supporters except when he's formally on stage. His actions generally seem to cut against the grain of what most people think a president ought to be doing. His unprompted statements and, really, even his prepared speeches, seem to be all style and no content. Maybe I'm just not too perceptive, but after hearing him, I always end up wondering what the man said or whether he said anything at all. George Bush is probably the worst speaker of all time, but you could figure out what the content was between the ill-constructed sentences and nervous chuckles. Bill Clinton was an accomplished liar, but he really said things most of the time, particularly when he was riled. Obama seems like one of those synthesizer "background choirs" that sound like somebody is singing something, but you can't make it out.

To me, he isn't "alien" in the "foreign" sense, or in the "outer space" sense. It's more in the sense of the 'alien-ness" of some youngish professor of some really obscure subject one might find in a bongo-drum, poetry-reading coffeehouse somewhere, unsurprisingly wearing a tweed jacket and expensive Italian shoes, but unexpectedly wearing Trotsky eyeglasses that don't quite fit right on his nose, discussing something that really doesn't seem to have any meaning beyond the setting. Maybe Woodrow Wilson seemed "alien" in his day. I can imagine that he might have.

Maybe that's "Euro-elite" to some. I don't know any European elites, so I couldn't say. But he does seem out of place, or in the wrong time or something.

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:5, topic:201322"]
Glad you said it, because he seems alien to me as well. I'm not a "birther", and there is "alien" and "alien" and "alien". But there really is something "alien" about him.

[/quote]

Come to 53rd street. It is highly diverse.

Alien? Just remember that "Leave it to Beaver" was not a documentary. Some folks have a hard time with that.

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:6, topic:201322"]
Come to 53rd street. It is highly diverse.

Alien? Just remember that "Leave it to Beaver" was not a documentary. Some folks have a hard time with that.

[/quote]

I'm not sure anybody thinks "Leave it to Beaver" was a documentary, and I'm not sure anyone ever did, any more than they thought "The Lone Ranger" was a documentary on the 19th Century West.

I don't know which of the world's "53rd streets" you're talking about, but it sounds like you're suggesting that knowing about it is somehow comme il faut, and further saying most Americans would find it "alien" as well. Maybe so. If so, and if Obama is typical of whatever one finds on "53rd street", then maybe it should not be terribly surprising that he does seem alien to many, most of whom do not live on "53rd street" any more than they live in Shaker Heights.

This particular 53rd St. is in the Hyde Park neighborhood on the South Side of Chicago, not far from the campus of the University of Chicago. This area has the reputation of being
liberal.

[quote="SwizzleStick, post:3, topic:201322"]
This commentary from "America's Right" contains similar thoughts, excerpt follows.

"Obama’s Wild Imagination

...Obama does not truly identify as an American because he wasn’t raised as one. His father was a radical Kenyan exchange student who disowned him. His mother left him with his aging grandparents and went off to travel the world visiting hippy communes, eventually settling in Indonesia married to an Indonesian Muslim whose name young Barry eventually took.

And when Mrs. Obama-Soetoro finally did send for her son, it was to raise him as a Muslim in Indonesia, not as an American in America. Of course, this is not to say that Muslim children raised in the United States are any less patriotic than their Judeo-Christian, Buddhist, Agnostic, Atheist or insert-belief-here friends. I highlight his being raised Muslim because Obama’s formative years were spent in Jakarta, Indonesia. Indonesia has the world’s largest Muslim population, and as a result, even though unofficial, Sharia law most certainly crept into everyday life. He grew up hearing anti-American, anti-Semitic, and anti-Christian rhetoric. Those years weren’t spent on baseball fields, at BBQ’s and Fourth of July and Veteran’s Day parades, as would those years for Muslim kids in America. Obama never had patriotism embedded into his soul like so many other American kids. Furthermore, upon coming back to the States, he entered the most liberal programs in the most liberal schools, then admired and socialized with radicals of the Alinsky sort. His foray to Pakistan, on an Indonesian passport, to this day is a mystery.

Is it really a surprise that he doesn’t feel passionate about this country, and he doesn’t despise her enemies with all his heart? No, not at all. Being raised an internationalist, and as a child hearing the ills and evils of America, he knows no other way but to see our enemies perspectives and hear them out. While this naively academic approach might be acceptable at Columbia or the United Nations, it is nothing short of dangerous when practiced from the Oval Office. Despite what the far left would have us believe, a president’s first job is to protect his nation’s citizens at all costs. Barack Hussein Obama fails miserably in that capacity."...

Entire commentary here: americasright.com/?p=4596

[/quote]

Obama is a TCK (Third Culture Kid, aka Trans-Culture Kid). His upbringing and early experiences are very different from those of people who grow up in America. He really does not understand American culture, deep down it is alien to him, or as the title puts it - he is alien to the US.

I am also a TCK, having been taken overseas when I was 3, so I understand. My upbringing was much more American, yet, I do not feel American. I do not understand the way Americans think, I do not understand why Americans do some of the things they do (culturally). Going back on vacation, spending time with my cousins was always a burden. I never fit in with them. I was always an outsider. I couldn't talk about anything without seeming like a name-dropper or big-noting myself for being a world traveller - and this was family. If I have this trouble, then Obama has it even worse than I, because his early upbringing was not even remotely American.

“A third culture kid is a person who has spent a significant part of his or her developmental years outside their parents’ culture. The third culture kid builds relationships to all the cultures, while not having full ownership in any. Although elements from each culture are assimilated into the third culture kid’s life experience, the sense of belonging is in relationship to others of the same background, other TCKs.”...more(there is a video about Mr. Obama as a TCK at the above link)

imho, Mr. Obama will never 'own' American culture, nor ever have a sense of belonging to it, and it isn't something under his control. No matter what his birth certificate or his passport says, Mr. Obama will never truly be American.

I'd like to know more about his mysterious Indonesian passport. I had not heard that he carried a passport from another nation than the US at any time.

This is probably the most substanceless piece of gibberish I've seen in a long, long time.

Obama replaced a bust of Churchill in the White House with a bust of Lincoln: this makes him an alien? A preference for a bust of an American President over a British Prime Minister?

Although the gesture is of questionable significance, the natural reading would be that he was anti-British, and pro-Lincoln. Not "alien" to Americans. As an opening example - and the only thing attributed directly to Obama himself, rather than other members of the administration - it is breathtakingly ludicrous.

Then, somehow a statement of Eric Holder avoiding condemnation of Islam is a reflection on Obama's alien nature? Then an obscure quote from John Brennan - hardly a household name - again confirms Obama's alien nature?

If the author wants to criticize the Obama administration as being too conciliatory toward Islam, fine. That puts him pretty squarely in the mainstream of the Democratic party. The mainstream of the Democratic Party may be many things, but not "alien."

i just read this article this morning. it was very good and defines Obama very well i think.

his early childhood had to have been shaped by having a Kenyan father and living in hawaii and then having an indonesian stepfather and living in jakarta. hawaii is also made up of peoples of many origins.

he is a strange one to figure out and that makes him seem alien to me. i just don't trust him.

He believes in a zero sum game.

Meaning that third world countries will not be improved unless the United States is de-developed.

Of course, that still won't improve third world countries. But that's what he believes.

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:7, topic:201322"]
I'm not sure anybody thinks "Leave it to Beaver" was a documentary, and I'm not sure anyone ever did, any more than they thought "The Lone Ranger" was a documentary on the 19th Century West.

[/quote]

You think not? Have you seen the threads on how folks wish things could be the way they used to be when kids were respectful and everyone got along? People do have a 'Leave it to Beaver' view of America's past. So the president is alien to their tender sensibilities.

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:7, topic:201322"]
I don't know which of the world's "53rd streets" you're talking about, but it sounds like you're suggesting that knowing about it is somehow comme il faut, and further saying most Americans would find it "alien" as well. Maybe so. If so, and if Obama is typical of whatever one finds on "53rd street", then maybe it should not be terribly surprising that he does seem alien to many, most of whom do not live on "53rd street" any more than they live in Shaker Heights.

[/quote]

Actually 53rd street is the real world. John McCain spent a lot of time outside the US in his youth and bounced all over as an adult. He's considered American through and through. So is Ms. Palin, who lives in an area unlike all of the lower 48. Yet the president somehow represents a distance from usual Americans? Come to 53rd street.

[quote="Tenebrae, post:8, topic:201322"]
This particular 53rd St. is in the Hyde Park neighborhood on the South Side of Chicago, not far from the campus of the University of Chicago. This area has the reputation of being
liberal.

[/quote]

That's shocking! The area should be walled off.:shrug:

Ask John Ashcroft -- he lived there as a student.

Ah yes. Just one more attempt to portray the president as "not like us.' Some people simply can't get past the fact that the President of the United States is black. So since they know that their objection crosses the line, they keep up this narrative about him being Kenyan or Muslim or "Alien."

Ms. Rabinowitz is probably familiar with the idea of anti-semitism masquerading as something else. The idea that you are a foreigner in your own country. Ring any bells, Dorothy?

NOTICE

This thread is wandering. Please stay on the topic of the original post.

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:13, topic:201322"]
You think not? Have you seen the threads on how folks wish things could be the way they used to be when kids were respectful and everyone got along? People do have a 'Leave it to Beaver' view of America's past. So the president is alien to their tender sensibilities.

[/quote]

No, it's because he wasn't raised as an American, see

Obama is a TCK (Third Culture Kid, aka Trans-Culture Kid). His upbringing and early experiences are very different from those of people who grow up in America. He really does not understand American culture, deep down it is alien to him, or as the title puts it - he is alien to the US.

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:13, topic:201322"]

That's shocking! The area should be walled off.:shrug:

Ask John Ashcroft -- he lived there as a student.

[/quote]

Did John Ashcroft say it should be walled off? How is this relevant to the topic?

In one of his books, Obama said he purposely looked for the most radical people he could find to associate with.

"Much of what is known about Obama’s past has been revealed and defined by Obama himself, largely through his two bestselling books “Dreams from My Father” and “The Audacity of Hope.”

In these works and throughout his career, Obama has clearly identified with the oppressed. In “Dreams from My Father” Obama details how white settlers and sugar companies came to dominate and exploit his native Hawaii.

In that memoir, Obama said that at Occidental, “To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists and punk-rock performance poets.”

As president, Obama has espoused the view that the rich are not sharing their wealth with the less fortunate. In a Sept. 6, 2001, radio interview, Obama expressed regret that the Supreme Court hadn’t engaged in wealth redistribution.

In some ways, Obama’s opinions about American-style capitalism seem to mirror the views of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr., Obama’s minister who was his self-described mentor and “sounding board” for 20 years. Wright’s “Black Value System” denounced “our racist competitive society” and included the disavowal of the pursuit of “middle-classness.”

newsmax.com/RonaldKessler/obama-college-marxism-occidental/2010/02/08/id/349329

Of course the average American doesn't identify with Obama. The average American has American values, good or bad. Obama has always surrounded himself with those who have very anti-capitalism, anti-American views. Why else would he spend 20 years in a church where such anti-American views were expressed?

Is it really a surprise to anyone that Obama seems "alien" to most of us?

[quote="Brooklyn, post:17, topic:201322"]

In that memoir, Obama said that at Occidental, “To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists and punk-rock performance poets.”

[/quote]

I think a lot of kids in college, especially the liberal elite colleges on the East Coast go through such a faze. The problem as you said

As president, Obama has espoused the view that the rich are not sharing their wealth with the less fortunate. In a Sept. 6, 2001, radio interview, Obama expressed regret that the Supreme Court hadn’t engaged in wealth redistribution.

He never grew out of it.

Is it really a surprise to anyone that Obama seems "alien" to most of us?

Do you think black kids in the ghetto identify with him? Has black on black violence gone down since he became POTUS? I've seen some ads by him aimed at this problem, but to me he could be making a HUGE difference in the plight of disenfranchised African-Americans.

And that I agree with.

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:19, topic:201322"]
And that I agree with.

[/quote]

And what specifically makes this piece "substanceless?"

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.