The "All Seeing Eye"

Do any Catholics here know the history of the symbol known as the All Seeing Eye? The triangle with the eye in it. I’ve heard the claims that this is a Masonic symbol or even satanic. I’ve seen Fundamentalist sites with pictures of this symbol in Catholic and Orthodox Churches trying to discredit them. I never thought much of it till I went to an old Cathedral close to me and this symbol was at the top of the high altar. It made me curious. Anyone know?
Thanks.

[quote=Wikipedia]Origin

In its current form, the symbol first appeared in the west during the 17th & 18th centuries, but representations of an all-seeing eye can be traced back to Egyptian mythology and the Eye of Horus. However, it is first in Buddhism that the eye is associated with a triplicity. Buddha is also regularly referred to as the “Eye of the World” throughout Buddhist scriptures (e.g. Mahaparinibbana Sutta) and is represented as a trinity in the shape of a triangle known as the Tiratna or Triple Gem. 17th-century depictions of the Eye of Providence sometimes show it surrounded by clouds. The later addition of an enclosing triangle is usually seen as a more explicit trinitarian reference to the God of Christianity.
[/quote]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_Providence

Not personally sure myself, but I hope this helps.

God Bless.

Chris

This is what I found on wikipedia, it might not be reliable though.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_seeing_eye

As a point of note, before believing anything Fundamentalists say about Catholic symbols being ‘masonic’, it’s worth remembering that the Catholic Church is 2000 years old and the earliest Freemasons’ organisations date only to the 17th century. The All Seeing Eye was a Christian symbol long before anybody thought to even build a masonic temple.

To go off-topic and take another example, this photo: rapturemeup.com/db3/00275/rapturemeup.com/_uimages/popesata.jpg is often used to imply a ‘satanic’ connection with the Vatican. Again, the upside down cross was a devotion to St Peter (who was crucified upside down) since earliest Christian times. It was only during the Protestant witch-burnings in England and America in the 16th century that the allegation was first made that satanists worshipped an upside-down cross. Ironically, modern ‘satanists’ seem to have taken this false accusation for their own, and are happily walking around with this devotion to St Peter around their necks!

I wonder why the author of the wikipedia ‘eye of providence’ article has written it in such a way as to suggest that Christianity borrowed/stole/evolved from other Egyptian/Buddhist/ etc religious depictions? The author has been highly selective with his ‘Buddha as eye of the world’ and ‘Buddhist triplicity’.

Freemasons give all religions equal standing, and have therefore borrowed symbols from them all. No doubt, they borrowed ‘the all seeing eye’ from Christian tradition, though they most certainly associate it with a different meaning ie that of the enlightened man - he’s in the light and can see; he looks down from atop the pyramid on those in the darkness - the profane. Much like the Egyptian interpretation.

As for freemasonry beginning in the 17th century, I’d say (morally speaking), it’s been around for much longer, but has shape shifted down through the ages. Forget the lower degrees who wear their little aprons and do charitable works, they are wilfully ignorant of higher masonic belief which is occultic satanism.

Now, go and read the Gospel, and thank God for the gift of Jesus Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.