The amazing similarities between Mormonism and (the original) Battlestar Galactica

This is no joke! (Note: the creator of Battlestar Galactica, Glen Larson, is a Mormon.)

icwseminary.org/mormonsinspace.htm

mywebpages.comcast.net/billotto/Mormon_N_BSG.html

michaellorenzen.com/galactica.html

holysmoke.org/cos/battlestar-mormonica.htm

google.com/search?q=mormon+battlestar+galactica&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

The new series has a few nods to that original Mormon influence as well.

The people are part of the Twelve Tribes of Kobol. Kobol is a anagram of Kolob. In the original series they were the Twelve Colonies of Man.

It’s no amazing coincidence. The man who originally envisioned Battlestar Galactica was a Mormon and purposely used references to Mormon belief.

OK, I haven’t read the links, but I have seen Battlestar Gallactica & I am also moderately familiar with Mormons & while I can see the possibility of some, at least LETTER relationship between Kolob & Kobol, there is also the very big deal that the Battlestar folks speak of GODS (i.e., plural) and those gods are the gods of the Greek/Roman Pantheon ~ “Hera” comes to mind.

So, since their “Gods” are not related in any way to Mormons or Catholics or anything else, what gives here?

Well, Mormons believe they can become gods, too. Perhaps that is what this is referring to.

The Mormon founder taught that faithful Mormon men can ascend to divinity. In the King Follett Discourse, Joseph Smith said, “My Father worked out his kingdom with fear and trembling, and I must do the same. And when I get to my kingdom [godhood], I shall present it to my Father, so that he may obtain kingdom upon kingdom, and it will exalt him in glory. He will then take a higher exaltation, and I will take his place, and thereby become exalted myself.”

More here:

catholic.com/library/Gods_of_the_Mormon_Church.asp

oh come on, do we have to pick apart one of my fave tv shows!!
its a fatasy series, its not real…
Its to be enjoyed.
However, if people see similarities with things here in real life, they can express their point of view.
But the bottom line is, its just a tv show…

I love the show, too.

It’s no secret that there are many references to the Mormon religion in it, including the “Kolob” and “Kobol” anagram. That particular tidbit is one I picked up on the Battlestar website in a podcast with the creator. He is the one who pointed it out.

No one is picking the show apart, at least not me. I’m really not sure why the OP posted this, but his information is accurate.

Glen Larson was the writer and producer of the show, here is some of the other shows he produced,

The Six Million Dollar Man (1973), Battlestar Galactica (1978), B.J. and the Bear (1978), Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (1979), Magnum P.I. (1980), The Fall Guy (1981), and Knight Rider (1982)

Paul

Yes… KIT2000… the garment… it all fits!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

(JK… I do recognize the BGalactica/Mormon connection.)

I don’t watch the show but my husband is an avid fan. I was telling him this stuff and he was like “duh, I already knew that.” He says the new show that’s currently on is less Mormon and that he sometimes gets a slight feeling of some Catholic references. Who knows…I know I’m not sitting through a single episode to find out!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.