The ancient passover from Egypt up until now

I recently have been studying the original form of the Jewish passover and how it came to be since the beginning in Egypt. It has changed from that time in Egypt but it is more or less for the same purpose. Anyway, thanks to the great catholic apologist Scott Hahn I have been able to hear the entire reason and importance of that passover in Egypt that was guided and executed so carefully by Moses. I also learned how Christ took the place of the passover lamb. I was surprised that there was so much detail in this event. I never knew how complicated it was. There is so much there that was new to me, I wonder what else I don’t know enough about?
The four cups of wine; how Christ left consuming the last cup until he was about to die. But it doesn’t even end there because he was also raised to fulfill and complete his act too.

It makes me wonder, is there anything else I am missing? There must be more that I have missed, not about the passover but other things.

Well, I wouldn’t feel too badly about that. When it comes to the Mass biblical prophecy, and salvation history in general, I don’t think all that many Catholics, cradle or convert, (including clergy) really know and/or appreciate everything Christ did, does, and will do.

I think that’s one of the great things about internet forums and websites like Catholic Answers. The information is there for those who want to learn.

Here’s a post I made about the foreshadowing of Jesus as the Lamb of God:
God tested Abraham, asking him to offer his only beloved son as a holocaust on a mountain. As they went up the mountain – Isaac carrying the wood for his own sacrificial death on his back – he asked his father where the lamb for the sacrifice was, and Abraham replied that God would provide Himself the lamb. God did provide an animal for sacrifice in place of Isaac… but it was a ram, with its head caught in a thicket of thorns. (cf. Gen 22)

When God delivered Israel from captivity in Egypt, He instituted a ritual sacrificial meal for them, by which each family was to acquire a spotless, unblemished lamb, to kill it without breaking its bones and to spread its blood upon the doorposts of their homes; the angel of God’s wrath, seeing the blood, would pass over them. The family was also to eat the flesh of the lamb. But this was not God’s lamb… (cf. Exo 12-13)

In time, another ritual was instituted for Israel, the Yom Kippur (“day of atonement”) ritual. Two lambs or goats were chosen, one to be slaughtered in sacrifice, and the other to have the sins of all of Israel placed upon its head and to be sent out into the wilderness to die. This was the “scapegoat”, the one who receives the blame and punishment for the sins of others. (cf. Lev 16)

On the shores of the Jordan, John the Baptist called out to all who would hear him, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29) He was speaking of Jesus, the only beloved Son of God. (cf. Matt 3:17) Pilate found Jesus to be without fault or blemish. (cf. John 18:38) At His crucifixion, our Lord was crowned with thorns and carried the wood for his own sacrificial death on his back. (cf. John 19:2, 17) His bones were not broken. (cf. John 19:31-36)

St. Paul says that “Christ, our paschal lamb, has been sacrificed.” (1 Cor 5:7)

St. Peter says that we “were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your fathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot.” (1 Pet 1:18-19)

St. John saw in Heaven “a Lamb standing, as though it had been slain.” (Rev 5:6)

I’d recommend finding a parish nearby that hosts the Great Adventure Bible Timeline Bible study. It is excellent and fully, completely, 100% Catholic!

It will help you make connections between the Old and New Testaments that you had never noticed before. For example, in John 4, Jesus meets a woman from Samaria who has five husbands. That real encounter was the manifestation in someone’s personal history of the national history of Samaria, which had been mingled with five other pagan nations and left the true worship of God:
[24] And the king of Assyria brought people from Babylon, Cuthah, Avva, Hamath, and Sephar-vaim, and placed them in the cities of Samaria instead of the people of Israel; and they took possession of Samaria, and dwelt in its cities. [25] And at the beginning of their dwelling there, they did not fear the LORD; therefore the LORD sent lions among them, which killed some of them.

[26] So the king of Assyria was told, “The nations which you have carried away and placed in the cities of Samaria do not know the law of the god of the land; therefore he has sent lions among them, and behold, they are killing them, because they do not know the law of the god of the land.” [27] Then the king of Assyria commanded, “Send there one of the priests [of Israel] whom you carried away thence; and let him go and dwell there, and teach them the law of the god of the land.” [28] So one of the priests whom they had carried away from Samaria came and dwelt in Bethel, and taught them how they should fear the LORD.

[29] But every nation still made gods of its own, and put them in the shrines of the high places which the Samaritans had made, every nation in the cities in which they dwelt; [30] the men of Babylon made Succoth-benoth, the men of Cuth made Nergal, the men of Hamath made Ashima, [31] and the Avvites made Nibhaz and Tartak; and the Sepharvites burned their children in the fire to Adrammelech and Anammelech, the gods of Sephar-vaim. [32] They also feared the LORD, and appointed from among themselves all sorts of people as priests of the high places, who sacrificed for them in the shrines of the high places. [33] So they feared the LORD but also served their own gods, after the manner of the nations from among whom they had been carried away.

[34] To this day they do according to the former manner. They do not fear the LORD, and they do not follow the statutes or the ordinances or the law or the commandment which the LORD commanded the children of Jacob, whom he named Israel. (2 Kings 17:24-34)
Jesus said to the woman, “you have had five husbands.” So this woman who really had five husbands represented Samaria which also had five “husbands” (ba’als, “lords”), those five false gods. And Jesus said to the Samaritan woman that “he whom you now have is not your husband.” For the woman was now in the presence of Jesus (i.e. God), but He was not yet her Lord, her “husband”, just like Samaria knew of the true God but did not treat Him as its one and only husband.

If I could throw gold at you I would! This is gold! Thank you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.