The Angelus- Anyone?

One of the most ancient but forgotten devotion to Our Lady is the recitation of the Angelus. It is recited at 6am, 12 noon and 6 pm. if you’re one of those who’s been estranged from this practice, will you join me at these hours in honoring Mary?

Prayer:
The angel of the Lord declared unto Mary, And she conceived by the Holy Spirit,
Hail Mary…

Behold, the handmaid of the Lord, Be it done unto me according to your word.
Hail Mary…

And the Word was Made Flesh, and dwelt among us.
Hail Mary…

Pray for us, O holy Mother of God.
That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let Us Pray:
Pour forth, we beseech thee, O Lord
Your grace into our hearts.
That we to whom the incarnation of Christ, your Son,
Was made known by the message on an angel
Made by his passion and cross be brought to the glory
of His resurrection, through the same Christ Our Lord. Amen.

Glory Be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning is now and will be forever. Amen.

Forgotten? The Angelus is prayed everyday by most Catholics, especially the Pope.

Sr. Helena:

I am happy to join you - this is one of my devotions that I try to remember daily…it is the way I start my day.

I think it would be interesting to know how many devout Catholics pray the Angelus each day. Do most members of religious orders pray this together?

Peace to you,
Tambra

Yes, Tambra, we do. The purpose of the thread is not so much meant for Religious and the Pope ;), but for lay people in general.

Thank you for the information Sister Helena,
I love The Angelus, and especially enjoy hearing it sung.

I too will join you, as best I can.

Sr.Helena, I must admit I have never prayed this, although I think it is beautiful and I will try to pray it with you.
But prehaps you could answer a question for me, still fairly new (coverted in 2005) why is there certain times to pray this? Who comes up with the specific times, and is it wrong to pray this pray at other times of the day?
Anyway, sorry for all the questions but I’m trying to grow in my faith, and am very interested in the reasons why we do certain things :slight_smile:

God Bless
Amanda

Greetings,
I am new to the faith and am glad to be introduced to this most wonderful prayer. I like to recite the rosary in Latin and will look for the Angelus in the ancient language. For some reason I find it easier to memorize things in Latin than in English (?).

Hello Amanda,

I am providing you with a short background story of the Angelus with this link:
fisheaters.com/angelus.html
Hopefully it will answer some of your questions.

Also, just a reminder that during the Easter Season, the Angelus is replaced by the Regina Coeli Prayer.

Ya know, I love Mary. She is my confirmation saint, after all.

I just can’t get into Marian devotions anymore, though. Even the rosary has lost its flavor for me.

Sometimes I feel like such a Protestant.

Just a friendly reminder not to base your devotions on your feelings. Spiritual exercises based on how you feel from moment to moment will make you inconsistent and finally cold. True love of God and Mary is an act of the will.

Hi Sister Helena,

At my parish, the RCIA class, sponsors and instructors have committed to saying the Angleus each day at noon during Lent. It’s wonderful to know that at mid-day, the members of our group take a moment to stop and pray for one other.

Dear Sister

Thank you for reminding us of this great tradition and devotion.

God bless and peace to you:thumbsup::slight_smile:

Hi All,

I agree. I wouldn’t think of basing my spiritual practices on whether I can get into it or not. The discipline is so, so valuable. Also, prayer seems to be cumulative so more people praying at the same time increases value and power. I tell everyone, especially those good people not yet in a Christian faith, to do their devotions on Sunday. I have always felt a difference in the air on Sunday and just thought that normal but now I find out that not everyone is aware of that - of course, it’s not what it used to be when there was more observance of and participation in Sunday devotion. Sigh.

I bought a holy card with the Angelus prayer on it.

Thank you for this post. I forgot to carry it on me. It is now in a place I’ll be carrying it!

The Angel of he Lord declared unto Mary…

I was so thrilled when, after saying it for years in Catholic school, our new priest began using the Angelus as the entrance hymn at daily Mass!!

And she conceived of the Holy Spirit.

Hail Mary, Faull of Grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour or our deaths.
Amen.

It is a truly beautiful devotion and just imagine that as often as we recite this prayer we join the ancient Church of old in honoring Our Lady and the mystery of the Incarnation. What great treasure we have in our Catholic Faith! We join our voices to those Religious in their monasteries who ring their bells across the nation. What a beautiful treasure we have!

At my church the Angelus bells ring at 6am, 12 noon and 6pm. Father always begins the 6pm Mass with the Angelus (Regina Coeli during Eastertide) - If I am on my own and notice what the time is, I pray it but often forget so will pray it when I remember. It’s lovely to hear the Angelus bells when I am out and about in London, and I will always stop what I am doing and pray.

It is a beautiful prayer, reminding us of that wonderful moment when Our Lady said “yes” to God and the Word was made flesh.

Since we have now entered the Easter Season, the Angelus is replaced by Regina Coeli. This is a beautiful prayer to Our Lady which can be recited at 6am, 12 noon and 6 pm.

Queen of Heaven, rejoice, Alleluia!
For he whom thou has merited to bear, alleluia!
Has risen as He said, alleluia!
Pray for us to God, alleluia!
Rejoice and be glad, O Virgin Mary, alleluia!
For the Lord has truly risen, alleluia!

Let us pray:

O God, who by the resurrection of your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, granted joy to the whole world. Grant we beg of you that through the intercession of the Virgin Mary, his Mother, we may attain the joys of eternal life. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

How do I pray this prayer?

Is it possible to pray this prayer alone, or must it be said by a group of people? I always get confused when I see the letters V and R in certain prayers. It makes me wonder if two people are needed to say the prayer?

Thanks, I actually did not know this!

I recently added the noontime Angelus to my prayer life - put an alarm in my cellphone to notify me when it’s time. Modern adaptations! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.