The Angelus

How does one pray the Angelus? I feel silly for asking this, since I should probably know this by now. Is it like the Divine Office, or are those separate things? All I know is that they are prayers said at certain times of the day, but I’m quite confused beyond that.

Help? :stuck_out_tongue:

Sure!

The Angelus is said three times a day (6am, 12pm, 6pm).

Here is how it goes:

V. The Angel of the Lord declared unto Mary.
R. And she conceived of the Holy Spirit.
Hail Mary…
V. Behold the handmaid of the Lord.
R. Be it done unto me according to thy word.
Hail Mary…
V. And the Word was made Flesh.
R. And dwelt among us.
Hail Mary…
V. Pray for us, O holy Mother of God.
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
Let us pray:
Pour forth we beseech Thee, O Lord, Thy grace into our hearts, that we, to whom the Incarnation of Christ Thy Son was made known by the message of an angel, may by His Passion and Cross be brought to the glory of His Resurrection. Through the same Christ Our Lord. Amen.

This is a devotional separate from the Divine Office.

Good luck…it is such a beautiful prayer!

In Carmel,

Br. Allen

smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_3_103.gif

Ahhh, saved by the Angelus!!!

Thanks for bringing the memory of that back Dove51, and Br. Allen for the actual prayer!

Another that I can most certainly use now!!

Thank you!

Thanks from me too! I may start this devotion since I work from home. Makes it easier.

On that note, I knew a family once that had 4 children of various ages, from like 2 up to 14. The mom home-schooled all of them. If they were out shopping at the mall or grocery store, or visiting a museum for school work, at noon they would all drop to their knees no matter where they were and pray the Angelus. I never witnessed it but others who had were deeply moved by the scene. I can only picture it, a young family in deep reverent prayer, in public, while the world continues around them, some gawking, some ignoring, some inspired and motivated to say a prayer too. It had to be a most beautiful thing to see.

Glory to God!
Simon

Once Churches with bell towers and monasteries and cloisters with bells rung out the Angelus at 12noon. I think it was three bells three times with pauses inbetween and then nine bells. The bellringer would pray the Angelus to first Hail Mary on the first three bells. Then ring the bells three times - pray to second Hail Mary. Ring the bells another three times - pray to Third Hail Mary. Then nine bells. Memory fades, it is so long since I have heard them…or it just may have been two lots of three bells and then nine bells.:o
Most Catholics on hearing the Angelus Bell would pause wherever they were (within reason ) and pray the Angelus… or at least pause and make the sign of the cross if more appropriate to the circumstances. Even here in Australia - back when we still saw habits and priests in collars regularly that is…all pre V2. This was a beautiful and public witness to The Faith and one’s identity. The Angelus Bell was a call to the Faithful to prayer at midday.

Barb:)
Edit. I found this phillyringers.com/stmarks/new%20angelus.htm
It is 3-3-3-9 bells. I am planning to put a grotto out the back with a statue of Our Lady in the foreseeable future and writing this Post it occured that I will have a small ‘belltower’ too and ring the Angelus at 12noon…doesn’t have to be a huge bell at all and 12noon is a respectable hour for neighbours. Quite a few thought my pergola built on the side of Bethany here in the construction was going to be a chapel I got told later (true!:thumbsup: ) so a grotto and bell in the backyard will not be surprising at all.
Some monastics and cloisters (or it may have been most or all) used to mark Lauds and Vespers (Morning and Evening Prayer) with the Angelus Bell too.

How awesome!!! I was rereading this thread when I decided to pray my daily Rosary. When I finished the Rosary I looked at the clock and it was exactly 12:00! I came back to my PC which had this thread open, scrolled down to the prayer, got on my knees and for the first time in forever I prayed the Angelus!! Wow, my Guardian Angel is doing a pretty good job keeping me on schedule and making it easier to pray!!

God be praised!

Simon

If you are standing when reciting the Angelus, don’t forget to genuflect at: And the Word was made flesh and dwelt amongst us.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.