the Angelus

Something’s been bugging me about the Angelus:

The Angel of the Lord declared unto Mary.
And she conceived of the Holy Ghost

Behold the handmaid of the Lord…

And the Word was made flesh

Why is “she conceived of the Holy Ghost” before her Fiat? Anyone else wonder at the order of this prayer? Or am I just reading too much into this?
:slight_smile:

it is a prayer that sums up and celebrates the entire event of the annunciation and incarnation, it is not a blow by blow account on the sports page

If you don’t believe the authority and teaching of any of the Popes, it stands to reason you will question the prayers set forth by the authority of the Church.

Get off my back. Just because I do not worship John Paul II does not mean I don’t accept the teaching authority of the Church. There’s a HUGE difference between the teaching of the Church and the opinion of the pope. You’d do well to remember that.

This is not a question meant to spark a debate, I was just curious as to why it is worded the way it is.

Look at it in Latin:

Angelus Domini nuntiavit Mariae, et concepit de Spiritu Sancto

This is the event. In no way is it a sequence of events. Otherwise it would be “Salve Gratia Plena”

It is further explained that Mary said…

Ecce ancilla Domini, fiat mihi secundum verbum tuum.

now the sequence follows…

Et Verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis.

Yes, you’re reading far too much into it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Imagine me saying ‘It was a hot day … and I went for a drive’. Does that mean I went for a drive BECAUSE it was a hot day? Not necessarily. The ‘and’ just means the two events either happened together or occured reasonably proximately in time, not that one was the cause (or the only cause) of the other.

:blush:Boy, do I feel like a dodo. I was just praying it one day when the order struck me…makes perfect sense now. Thanks md and Lily:)

Just because I do not worship John Paul II does not mean I don’t accept the teaching authority of the Church.

I don’t know anybody who worships John Paul II, and I don’t think you do, ether.

I was saddened to read the responses to the question asked…very mean spirited!!! I was also saddened with the comment about not worshipping Pope John Paul II. That was mean spirited also!!!

But pathetically true, sad to say.

How exactly was that mean spirited?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.