The anti-abortion pony show?

Ok, so I didn’t think I would ever post a news article, but I read this one in the San Francisco Gate and I thought I’d share. The title of the article is “Anti-abortion pony show today - hold the jeers.” I was flabbergasted when I read this (the part in bold is particularly… well… ridiculous):

“These people are just trying to provoke a reaction,” said Mayor Gavin Newsom’s spokesman Nathan Ballard. “Why give them what they want? San Francisco is a famously tolerant city. To threaten or intimidate those we disagree with goes against everything the city of St. Francis represents.”

“It is far better that they are walking around the streets of San Francisco than standing in front of the door of a clinic somewhere,” Supervisor Bevan Dufty said. “The best thing we can do is not give them the attention they want.”

I mean, I don’t even know how to respond to that. Are they seriously referencing St. Francis? … I mean WOW :ehh:. That is probably the most idiotic statement I’ve ever heard (other than that St. Augustine might have supported abortion). Not to mention these are city officials! Jeepers.

Of course, none of this is really a surprise… but it’s still pretty shocking.

Anyway, here is the whole article:
sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/24/BAKO15G3L8.DTL

I just sent an email to Mayor Gavin Newsom’s website in hopes that someone would at least read what I sent. I sent them a link to the Didache with a peaceful note describing in brief that ancient people believed abortion is disordered …or evil. Who knows. Maybe someone will read this and the touch their heart.

Since they’re pro-abortion and therefore there are plenty of pacifiers that are unsold, we need to buy them a pacifier so they can comfort themselves. They’re whining that people disagree with them, so let’s get them a security blanket as well.

“How dare they disagree with us!!” is their egotistical attitude.

This exposes the supposedly “tolerant” as being intolerant after all. San Francisco has been home to so many public displays by perverse groups in the name of freedom and yet they want to silence people who are standing up for the most defenseless individuals - the unborn. San Francisco, and other places like it, are bringing judgement upon themselves by ignoring God’s law and natural law. Their own free will to do as they please will lead them to personal and societal disaster. Meanwhile, those who speak out in defense of the unborn will be rewarded in Heaven.

I attended the “show” and I walked for life. This was my third year.

If you look at the pictures in the sidebar acompanying this article (also from SF Gate) sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/24/BA4T15GJRL.DTL&tsp=1 you will notice that those walking for life do not look mean and hateful like the pro aborts.

I didn’t notice any more people jeering from the sidelines than there were last year. Probably for the very reason that “they” don’t want to draw attention to our well behaved numbers. I heard there were between 31,000 and 33,000 participants.

I did not see for myself but heard that there were Athiests for Life and even Goths for Life marching with us!

Believe me, it was awesome to be among such numbers of good and kind people who made their way there from all over he west coast and beyond.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.