The Anti - Catholic claim: Catholics call the Pope God on Earth

How would you respond to this?
I was on twitter and here is the basic transcript:

Question asked:

“What do you think the Great Deception will be that is talked about in 2 Thessalonians 2:11?”

A reply:

“the Catholic church and the pope…possibly. 2 Thessalonians 2:4 and just the fact they call the pope god on earth.”

Some trying to correct him responded:

"I’m not catholic but they don’t call the pope god on earth. They call him Vicarius Christi(christ’s representative)

His Rebuttal:

“They do. And are we not all REpresenting Christ?”

Does it sound to you like he is the sort of rational person who can be persuaded by logic and/or evidence?

Were I in your position, I would go with something along the lines of a list, from smallest to greatest, of sources of authority on Catholic practice who have never heard of any such thing. While it is unlikely to make any difference to anyone who flatly denies anything which contradicts Jack Chick, it will at least demonstrate to reasonable people that Catholics do not do that.

That’s kinda funny, because we (Catholics) define Eucharist as a REpresentation of the Sacrifice of Calvary. I think this person is closer to the Truth than he realizes.

In that dangerous, “not-close-enough” zone whence comes heresy and all the devil’s most pernicious lies.

Worse, he seems closed off to further discussion, to any actual dialogue. His response to correction? “Nu-uh! They do so!” :shrug:

Invite the person to attend an RCIA class to learn the truth.
Other than that, pray… there’s not much one can do for those that have ears and do not hear.

Kind of agree with other commentators: some people just want to show how important and intelligent they think they are so logic is not always effective on them. However, if the anti-Catholic believes we all have God within us, why doesn’t he/she understand why Christ left someone in charge of His church on earth? I’m not in full understanding so I pray to God all the time for more understanding and I certainly ask the clergy to help me also. Perhaps it’s time for “anti-Catholic” to pray for understanding as well. God waits patiently for all of us. God Bless you.

Thank you everyone for replying to my thread.
I thought this post was taken down.
I just got done reading everyone responses.
I appreciate the feedback.

And 808Catholic.
Thank you and may God continue to bless you as well. :slight_smile:

You could always quote Galatians 1:8,9

But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel other than the one we preached to you let that one be accursed.
As we have said before and now I say again if anyone preaches to you a gospel other than the one that you received, let that one be accursed.

Tell him ignorance is a terrible burden to carry around, and that you will pray for his mind to get enlightened.

My suggestion, If that’s the kinda stuff you find on twitter, stay away from Twitter :smiley:

Joking aside, this process is like picking which channel to watch on TV. Select what’s good, avoid garbage.

As an aside, for people like that person, I think it was John Wayne who said “Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.” The Duke btw, came into the Church before he died :thumbsup:

That’s marginally better than a response I got one time. I don’t remember what the accusation was, perhaps worshipping idols or something like that. I told her that wasn’t true, that we did not do X. Her response: Yes, you do! :eek:

I thought it interesting that she knew better than I what was going on in my heart and mind! :shrug:

One would have to be an absolute idiot to believe the crazy and false things that people use to falsely attack the Catholic Church. It is absolutely ridiculous. My response would be this, which we all have heard before:

"There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”

-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Then, I would show him what we truly believe in regard to Jesus’ institution of the papacy and then, if he still doesn’t concur (which he unfortunately probably wouldn’t), I would ask him to show me some proof that what he says is true (which he obviously wouldn’t be able to do because their isn’t any).

May God bless you! :slight_smile:

I think your friend here is a prime candidate for RCIA! She’ll refuse the offer, then you turn the tables by asking her why she wont learn more about the Catholic faith.

Try to pin her down on how she ‘knows’ this. Ultimately, the only answer she’ll end up with is either she read in some book somewhere, or a pastor/preacher told her so. Then, ask her how she knows that THEY are a reliable source of information, especially over someone who is actually a member of the Church and knows what it teaches. I would then ask her to prove the assertion that Catholics worship the Pope, by citing the Catechism where it is taught (since of course the Catechism is the ‘encyclopedia’ of what Catholics teach).

Sadly, it sounds like she is a bit hard-headed on this, so it may take a while to break through.

Ask him to explain these texts, after he reaches the conclusion that they are not literal, in that these humans are not god himself. Ask him about Acts 12:21-23. Tell him that Catholics do not believe the pope is literally a god and if the pope himself believed he was, God – why has not God struck him down?

Partakers of divind nature II Peter 1

Psalm 82 King James Version (KJV)

82 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

2 How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.

3 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.

4 Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.

5 They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

8 Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

Exodus 7:1 The LORD answered Moses, "See, I have made you like God to Pharaoh, and Aaron your brother will be your prophet.

John 10:30 “ye are gods”

2 Corinthians 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God.

Ephesians 6:20 For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

Also, ask him what ambassador means.

Why should we rebut a baseless assertion. The burden of proof is on him. Ask him for proof to support his claim and then we can discuss that. If he can’t provide anything to support his claim then you can tell him he is all hot air.

Oh, I’ve encountered that before with anti-Catholics who want to misrepresent some facet of Church teaching/disciplines and when I’ve tried to correct (including cites from documents like the CCC or Scripture), I’ve gotten a “they just say those things to get people to convert, but the truth is [insert falsehood].” Very frustrating, and about all you can do is hope that anyone viewing the posts will see the truth, pray, and in the end dust off the metaphorical sandals.

It was a long time ago and she was as dumb as a box of rocks - I gave up trying to explain things to her. But I never told her why. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.