The Apostle Peter Vs Roman Catholicism

Christ is the Rock not Peter says the author.

geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/2594/dictatus.htm

Nice work of fiction. Perhaps she and Dan Brown ought to team up.

I don’t remember Christ saying “I am the rock, and upon Me I will build my church…”

What WOULD we do without individuals to tell us how wrong we have been for 2000 years?

Same old , same old protestant rehash. :yawn:
This writer should spend less time bashing Holy Mother Church and more time establishing what her beliefs are, if she has any other that “the Catholics are wrong”.
I am truly beginning to see that anti-Catholicism is an actual religion in and of itself.

Well…the author is obviously ignorant of Christian history so why should I give her rant an ear?

It never ceases to amaze me the ignorance of history evident in your garden variety anti-Catholics’ propaganda, especially when they start making up a list of doctrines and practices that supposedly are of “late origin”. The anti-Catholic author, Rebecca A. Sexton, gives us such a list which starts out:

Prayers for the dead were introduced in 310

Honestly, when Ms Sexton goes about denying the existence of Purgatory, has she never encountered the reference to 2 Maccabees:

• . . Judas and his men went to take up the bodies of the fallen . . . Then under the tunic of every one of the dead they found sacred tokens of the idols of Jamnia, which the law forbids the Jews to wear . . . So they all . . . turned to prayer, beseeching that the sin which had been committed might be wholly blotted out . . . For if he were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead. But if he was looking to the splendid reward that is laid up for those who fall asleep in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Therefore he made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin.* (12:39-42,44-45)

2 Maccabees was written in the Second Century BC and it gives witness to the practice of praying for the dead among the Jews long before the coming of Christ and His Church:

From the Jewish Encyclopedia: jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=394&letter=M&search=prayers%20dead

At all events, notwithstanding their name, the memor-books are not borrowed from the Christian Church, but are a product of Jewish piety; for it has always been customary in Israel to remember the dead, to pray and to present offerings for them, and to hand their names down to posterity. Indeed, the Christian Church adopted this custom, which developed into the ritual observance of All Souls’ Day, from Judaism. Although the different memor-books occasionally show a resemblance to a certain form of literature produced by the Catholic Church—the diptychs borrowed from the Romans, the “libri vitæ” or “libri viventium” used until the Carolingian period, the later calendars, necrologies, and martyrologies—yet many passages in the Church Fathers indicate that the prayers for the dead were Jewish in origin, and date from the time of the Apostles, who were Jews (comp. Bautz, “Das Fegfeuer,” p. 76, Mayence, 1883; Propst, “Liturgie der Ersten Drei Christlichen Jahrhunderte,” pp. 304 et seq.).

The lighting of candles in 320

I’ve seen this in several anti-Catholic propaganda writings (a popular one is “The 49 Steps Down”)…I just want to know: what’s the problem with lighting candles! Hells bells, should Ms Sexton continue her list with: The use of electricity for lighting and sound 1879 ?!! or how about “driving a car to church” 1901 ?!!

Priests began to assume distinctive robes in 500

This is a good one. It shows a complete lack of understanding of fashion developments. It’s not that priests began to dress differently from the laity, it’s the laity who began dressing differently from the priests such that now men wear pants, buttoned shirts, tie and a jacket, while the priest continues to wear the Chasuble:

newadvent.org/cathen/03639a.htm

This kind of anti-Catholic article could only be taken seriously by “the ignorant and unstable” (2Pt 3:16)

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.