The appeal of the Knox Bible

I was recently re-reading a thread from a few months back about the textual variants in the Vulgate, which I very much enjoyed. The Knox bible was mentioned on a few occasions in that thread. The Knox is one of my most favorite translations. I am so happy that Baronius Press re-published it a few years back. So, I was wondering, for those of you who read the Knox regularly, what you feel is its greatest appeal?

I haven’t gotten very far with mine, but I do like his use of place-names. “Tower of the Lambs” near Bethlehem has more significance than “Migdal Eder”, and that sort of thing.

I started reading mine because I liked his Imitation of Christ. I ended up letting someone else borrow my Imitation-- and then they gave it to a friend of theirs as a present-- I’m waiting for Christmas to see if they bother replacing my copy as promised or not; otherwise, I’ll be getting a new copy and hanging on to it more tightly. :wink:

And, on a totally human side note, I loved the little biographical story of him and his brother practicing their Latin on their Dad while he shaved in the morning. And I loved the anecdote about how he wanted his Bible to have something like, “by R.A. Knox, author of “The Viaduct Mysteries”,” or something. I just really admire him being able to grow up that grounded in the Classics, and have such diverse interests… it makes him the opposite of an anonymous committee. :slight_smile:

closed #3

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.