The Assumption of Mary and Ascencion of Christ

So, as Catholics, we believe Mary was assumed into heaven, body and soul. We believe Jesus ascended to heaven body and soul as well. However, I have always been taught that Heaven is more of a state of perfect grace and bliss with God than a place. If this is true, where are Mary and Jesus? Their physical bodies reside somewhere, no? Am i missing something?

I’m pretty sure Heaven is a place.

Jesus at least ascended to the Glory Cloud of God most likely.

Mary and Jesus do not have physical dead bodies on earth. Jesus rose from the dead and occupied his own glorified body. At the end of his time on Earth, he ascended to Heaven in his glorified body.

Mary was assumed into Heaven body and soul either right before or right after her physical earthly death. So she did not leave any remains behind either. This is what the Assumption means. Presumably she is in her glorified body in Heaven.

But our souls go to heaven (if we are holy enough). Our souls are immaterial. How can an immaterial thing to to a material place?

One has to define immaterial.
Our souls in heaven only experience a taste of Heaven. We will be resurrected come the general Judgement at the end of the world.

But simply because something is a spiritual place does not mean it is not an actual place.
It shouldn’t exclude the possibility of bodily going there either.

It is a very mystical place.

The Beatific Vision is the state of perfect beatitude, immediate knowledge of God (as opposed to mediate knowledge which we have now).

Heaven has become the term that tends to mean both in regular use. Both the state of being in beatific vision and the abode of God.

Jesus and Mary (and maybe a couple of others) have glorified bodies united with their souls. This is as we will all be in the resurrection of the dead and the final judgment.

The “where” of Heaven and the “how” of a glorified body in heaven are not defined by Church teaching.

We simply do not know.

I just noticed 1ke, beat me to the punch

Why assumption and not resurrection for Mary? Because she was taken up alive?

Part of your question is a Mystery, that will only be solved when we die and GET to Heaven.

As to whether Heaven is a “place” or just a sate of mind;; Jesus Himself clearly gives the right answer:

John 14: 1-6
Christ’s discourse after his last supper.

[1] Let not your heart be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in me. [2] In my Father’s house there are many mansions. If not, I would have told you: because I go to prepare a place for you. [3] And if I shall go, and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and will take you to myself; that where I am, you also may be. [4] And whither I go you know, and the way you know. [5] Thomas saith to him: Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?

[6] Jesus saith to him: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me.

AMEN & Blessings

i had always assumed that the house was a metaphor for heaven…

"For these reasons we believe that the promises our Lord has given to each of us of sharing eternal life, including a resurrection of the body, were fulfilled in Mary. Since Mary was free of Original Sin and its effects (one of which is corruption of the body at death), since she shared intimately in the life of the Lord and in His passion, death and resurrection, and since she was present at Pentecost, this model disciple appropriately shared in the bodily resurrection and glorification of the Lord at the end of her life. (Note that the solemn definition does not specify whether Mary physically died before being assumed or just was assumed; it simply states, “Mary, having completed the course of her earthly life…”)

There are physical bodies and there are spiritual bodies. Thus, there are physical places and spiritual places:

1 Corinthians 15:44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

Scripture shows that these spiritual bodies and places are right here, very close to us:

Hebrews 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

2 Kings 6:15 And when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth, behold, an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And his servant said unto him, Alas, my master! how shall we do? 16 And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them. 17 And Elisha prayed, and said, Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

Indeed it is.

God Bless you

The resurrection of Mary is implicit in the Assumption. It has not been formally defined however. The day will come when it will be defined.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit