The Assumption of Mary

Hi guys I am a Catholic who sort of has a hard time defending the Marian Dogmas. The one Ive had the most trouble with is the Assumption. I just can’t really think of any arguments for it or where to start looking in scripture. If you guys could provide me good passages that really bring out the concept that would be great. If you would like to (optional) construct a set of arguments for me, that would be even greater. Thanks guys I hope to defend the Virgin Mary with ease some day. God Bless!

Try Tim Staples’s book, Behold Your Mother

The Death or Dormition and Bodily Assumption of Mary is not explicitly in the Bible. It is a matter of Tradition. She may well have outlived the New Testament authors.

You might like these articles::

Five Arguments for the Assumption of Mary
historyandapologetics.com/2015/02/five-arguments-for-assumption-of-mary.html

Mary’s Assumption and the Early Fathers
historyandapologetics.blogspot.com/2015/02/marys-assumption-in-doctrine-of-pre.html

Those are pretty basic but you may find them helpful. Let me know if that’s the kind of thing you are looking for. I also recommend searching catholic.com for “assumption”.

See if this helps. Reasons Why I Believe in The Blessed Virgin Mary’s Assumption

Just off the top of my head, nowhere in the entire Tradition of the Church including the early Church, that I’m aware, of is there a tradition of relics of Mary’s body as the early christians were wont to save the relics of the bodies of the martyrs and saints. This points to the fact of Mary’s assumption body and soul into heaven and the reason why there is no early tradition of relics of Mary’s body.

Read Munificentissimus Deus where Pope Pius XII give the scriptural references:
w2.vatican.va/content/pius-xii/en/apost_constitutions/documents/hf_p-xii_apc_19501101_munificentissimus-deus.html

Psalm 131:8, the return of the Ark of God to Jerusalem: “Arise, O Lord, into thy resting place: thou and the ark, which thou hast sanctified”

Song 3:6

Rev 12:1–2 “that woman clothed with the sun”.

1 Corinthians 15 referring to Genesis 3:15

1. Often there are theologians and preachers who, following in the footsteps of the holy Fathers,(20) have been rather free in their use of events and expressions taken from Sacred Scripture to explain their belief in the Assumption. Thus, to mention only a few of the texts rather frequently cited in this fashion, some have employed the words of the psalmist: “Arise, O Lord, into your resting place: you and the ark, which you have sanctified”(21); and have looked upon the Ark of the Covenant, built of incorruptible wood and placed in the Lord’s temple, as a type of the most pure body of the Virgin Mary, preserved and exempt from all the corruption of the tomb and raised up to such glory in heaven. Treating of this subject, they also describe her as the Queen entering triumphantly into the royal halls of heaven and sitting at the right hand of the divine Redeemer.(22) Likewise they mention the Spouse of the Canticles “that goes up by the desert, as a pillar of smoke of aromatical spices, of myrrh and frankincense” to be crowned.(23) These are proposed as depicting that heavenly Queen and heavenly Spouse who has been lifted up to the courts of heaven with the divine Bridegroom.

2. Moreover, the scholastic Doctors have recognized the Assumption of the Virgin Mother of God as something signified, not only in various figures of the Old Testament, but also in that woman clothed with the sun whom John the Apostle contemplated on the Island of Patmos.(24) Similarly they have given special attention to these words of the New Testament: “Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you, blessed are you among women,”(25) since they saw, in the mystery of the Assumption, the fulfillment of that most perfect grace granted to the Blessed Virgin and the special blessing that countered the curse of Eve.

3. We must remember especially that, since the second century, the Virgin Mary has been designated by the holy Fathers as the new Eve, who, although subject to the new Adam, is most intimately associated with him in that struggle against the infernal foe which, as foretold in the protoevangelium,(44) would finally result in that most complete victory over the sin and death which are always mentioned together in the writings of the Apostle of the Gentiles.(45) Consequently, just as the glorious resurrection of Christ was an essential part and the final sign of this victory, so that struggle which was common to the Blessed Virgin and her divine Son should be brought to a close by the glorification of her virginal body, for the same Apostle says: “When this mortal thing hath put on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: Death is swallowed up in victory.”(46)

4. Cf. St. John Damascene, op. cit., Hom. II, n. 11; and also the Encomium attributed to St. Modestus.

5. Ps 131:8.

6. Ps 44:10-14ff.

7. Song 3:6; cf. also 4:8; 6:9.

8. Rv 12:1ff.

9. Lk 1:28.

10. Gen 3:15.

11. Rom 5-6; I Cor. 15:21-26, 54-57.

12. I Cor 15:54.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.