The atheistic symbolism in the Golden Compass?

I just saw the movie for the first time last night. I didn’t want to support the “company” or author for that matter, but it wasn’t my movie.

Does anyone know the symbolism? Was the “magisterium” suppose to be the Christian world - the Church? and the deal with the “truth” in the compass? What was that about? :hypno:

It would be great if you could help & EXPLAIN!

Phil Pullman (the author of “The Golden Compass”) is an atheist with an agenda. The book actually uses the terms “Magisterium” and “Church”, but the movie director decided to only use “Magisterium” as most people are unfamiliar with the term and less people would get offended by it. It most definitely is intended to be the Church, though.

For more info, see:
[LIST]
*]The Golden Compass: Agenda Unmasked by the Catholic League
*]Pied Piper for Atheism by Pete Vere and Sandra Miesel
*]Phillip Pullman and the Seduction of Children by Pete Vere[/list]

If you do a search of the forums for “Golden Compass”, I’m sure you’ll find a great number of threads on the topic.

Yes it’s an evil evil film and all his books are similar. Avoid them at all costs. Never give them to children or allow them in school libraries.As an active atheist Pullman hopes to destroy the Catholic Church. Demons which he confuses with ‘souls’ are shown as cuddly animals - how perverse!

Thanks to the ‘Moral Majority’ this movie totally flopped at the box-office. Hopefully that is the last of his evil books to be filmed

That film is evil and should be avoided at all costs. It promotes Atheism which of course is evil. :mad:

What did you think of it as a film? WIthout looking into it?

One of my freinds refused to see Narnia on the fact that it was full of catholic propaganda, he is an atheist. Now I love Narnia and have loved Narnia I thought it was a magical story with. Before someone told me I had no idea aslan was a representative of jesus, nor did i know that it was christian propaganda. Does it now make the story any worse or better? In my oppinion no, it is the same story.

Why are we taking an oppinion of something based on what it is meant to represent rather than how good the story is or its concepts.

I would say the golden compass was **** for one reason and one reason alone which ruined the movie for me (however the books may be intresting). Horrible child actress, she was so bad and she was the main charachter. Everything else was awesome the socrates concept of a daemon brought to life in awesome 3d. parrallel universes in a somewhat steam engine high tech universe. Talking polar bears (random but awesome). Witches and pirates. And an evil corporation that purputrates that it is good…

Brilliant… Damn child actress…

“The film was met with mixed reviews, and failed to meet expectations at the U.S. box office, but its international performance more than quadrupled the U.S. figures, surpassing $300 million for a total of $372 million worldwide to date, and the film also went on to win both an Academy Award and a BAFTA for its visual effects. No announcement has yet been made as to whether sequels will be produced, although producer Deborah Forte said she intends to make them”

-wikipedia

I was sure it didn’t flop in Australia, and it turns out the rest of the world.

It’s actually daemons, not demons, which i am sure comes from the concept derived from socrates of his daemon or inner voice… which guided him in his directions were he about to error…

I can understand why you think athiests are evil, because if you are correct we irrelegious, rational logical people are our selves going to hell and in turn sending others to hell alongside us, convincing them not to be relegious.

But in that term every other relegion beside your own is also evil.

However what about the moral standings or the non believer in this world? Are their actions any more or less evil than that or a relegios person, seen from an external context?

The preaching of non use of condoms in Africa, The muslim suicide and gneocide pacts across the world. Remeber an atheistic person does not to what we observe as imoral in the name of athiesm, how ever a relegious person does often do imoral things in the name of thier relegion.

So beside your belief in damnation is athiesm (a lack of a belief in something, which we all have in regard to faries, unicorns, well most of us) really that bad?

I just don’t beleive in your god, it doesn’t mean i don’t beleive in things i can’t see…

Why, are you afraid it will make you question your faith?

You have obviously been told to think this, because if you had done some research of your own, you’d know this is most certainly not the case!

No, it is probably more likely that they person does not want their money to go to those who produced this attack on the Catholic Church and Christianity in general.

Read their post again, it’s quite clear what they posted.

I do find it amusing that this forum is littered with posts attacking protestants, atheists, agnostics etc. but then develop this disproportionate sensitivity when those very people use the same tactic.

A definite case of the pot calling the kettle black.

But atheists, hindu’s, bhuddists and all others are evil and all the attacks on catholics are uncalled for and are just being targeted because they are the one true faith. All other heretic blasphemers are corrupting the true word of god and are causing many souls to go to hell…

It is this and other sets of beliefs that cause people to act and feel and hence respond the way they do. If you put your self in thier shoes it is easy to understand how you can cause the kettle to be black…

Please can you quote this Church teaching.

…and all the attacks on catholics are uncalled for and are just being targeted because they are the one true faith.

Good point, why would people attack something they knew to be good.

All other heretic blasphemers are corrupting the true word of god and are causing many souls to go to hell…

Heretics, are by definition, Catholics - who have made a conscious choice to betray their faith. The sanction against them is that they cease to be Catholic until they return to their faith.

The post I’ve quoted above yours, is just one of numerous similar posts that I’ve encountered from other catholics. So tell me, if they’re not church teachings, where are they getting their ideas from? Could there be some private interpretation being done here?

I see so many posts against private interpretation, from people that are doing precisely that. Presumably they don’t know their own church’s teachings, so see fit to put on their own spin when it suits them.

It seems that there is only a half-hearted following of this faith, as with other faiths, otherwise there wouldn’t be all these requests for quotes of church teachings.

If people can’t follow their faith fully, why bother at all?

Your atheist friend reports that the Catholic Church teaches that atheists are evil.

I want to know why he would think that - is it his own idea that he opposes or is it a real Church teaching.

Holly3278 said that ‘Atheism’ was evil.
Abbadon said Catholicism believes atheists are evil.
But, Catholicism likes to say ‘hate the sin, not the sinner’.

I was just generalising of the general literal christian crowd… It’s the average concensuss of oppinion I get.

My mother is very catholic and i can understand why she wants me to be also because she doesnt want me tortured for all eternity. When you believe such a propasition to be true, the next steps are rational and logical although the initial statement may not have been…

know to be good, i find that intresting, i think and history and societies seem to indicate that organised relegions harm and hamper the development of society. As we can see from the progess that islamic counties have made under islamic rule. And the progress made when the church was in great power, the dark ages were indeed dark.

I say you think it is good… not it is good… so your view is that people are unjustly undermining your beliefs which leads many inoccents to damnation… which is where the idea of hate and fear can stem from…

Well i’m officially a heretic, luckly this isn’t spain 1500ish…

sure they like to say that, but they’d rahter break my neck before burning me as long as i admited to the crimes under torture and revealed accomplices… Becuase naturally I am a warlock… of course…

Of course the church would no longer say something like that NOW… but that is not because hte church is civilised it is because most modern society is now civilised…

I know.

My mother is very catholic and i can understand why she wants me to be also because she doesnt want me tortured for all eternity. When you believe such a propasition to be true, the next steps are rational and logical although the initial statement may not have been…

I think its rational to believe you originated from some point instead of spontaneously popping into existance. Likewise I think its rational to believe that the qualities that define you as a person, equally, originated from some point. The good in you came from the source ‘Good’, which a Catholic calls God. God is Good.
The corollary is the banishment of ‘Bad’ from Gods presence, because God is Good.

know to be good, i find that intresting, i think and history and societies seem to indicate that organised relegions harm and hamper the development of society. As we can see from the progess that islamic counties have made under islamic rule. And the progress made when the church was in great power, the dark ages were indeed dark.

There is only one religion, and I invite you to read all the doctrines and dogmas of the Catholic Faith and tell me what is bad in them.

I say you think it is good… not it is good… so your view is that people are unjustly undermining your beliefs which leads many inoccents to damnation… which is where the idea of hate and fear can stem from…

Well i’m officially a heretic, luckly this isn’t spain 1500ish…

No greater love can any man have than to give up his life for his friends.
That is a basic tenet of the Catholic Faith.

Is it a tenet of atheism?

I actually thought Dakota did a great job with the Lyra character, however the character was not as likeable as Harry Potter or Susan in Narnia. She did a great job being sly and manipulative, and displaying her trustworthiness, which for an actor may be two polar opposites difficult to bring together.

I have seen 2/3 of the film, just hasn’t worked out for me to finish it. As a movie, I like the fact that it is very interesting to pick it apart, plenty there for that purpose. I haven’t read the books, don’t really plan to, have plenty of other better reading available.

I think, the movie, it has tons of fantasy fiction aspects that children will enjoy, and adults can pick it apart if they care to and still enjoy it.

The problem is…“DUST” which could perhaps make younger children think that sin, grace, and whatever else they relate it to, is just imaginary. Dust will be revealed more in the rest of the trilogy. And I for one hope they make the other 2 books into films…though perhaps this first one didn’t do good enough at the box office to justify that.

youtube.com/watch?v=5N6vzZuPy1s

The Catholic Church never burned any witch or warlock, correct me if I’m wrong. It was the protestant communities who burned witches.

As for burning heretics; heretics in medieval times were considered traitors of whatever state they lived in and they came under the attention of the secular state bodies, the Catholic Church never burned any heretics I know of. In fact Catholic Bishops, I believe, were the people who appealed to the state for leniency in torture.
The us tortures enemies of the state in guant. bay, I understand, its the same thing. Do you campaign for leniency on the prisoners there?

Actually i think what the US is doing if disgusting, and yes i do… Discussing appropriate torture methods.

I find this sense of history rather intresting, although historically the church is implicated horribly in these crimes, through correspondence and its law. There is another beleif that those of that faith maintain. That thier belief has been an innocent by stander through all of this.

Although it is only as a direct result of the teachings set forth in deuteronmy and leveticus that such crimes went ahead under teh guise of good.

I think it is also intresting that often the blame is shifted to the prodestants or some other party…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.