The Baha'i Faith

I shall post this item under “Islam” because the item does not fit into the other sub-categories of this “Non-Catholic Religions.” In posting my item here I am more than a little aware that the Baha’i Faith is no more a part of Islam than Christianity was part of Judaism, that both Baha’i and Christianity are independent religions but each grew up in the historicla matrix of their previous religion. And so with that caveat aside let me say:

I shall place my remarks under the rubric of 'historicity.'
One of the central claims of Christianity is that Jesus of Nazareth was the incarnate Son of God who died on the cross to atone for the sins of humanity and rose bodily from the dead. Anyone’s acceptance of these claims depends on whether or not the New Testament documents are reliable historical sources about Jesus. My view is that It is a reasonable posiiton to accept the substantial historicity of the New Testament.

Detailed works have been written on this topic, but such detail is not possible here. This posting will not be discussing the main features of five arguments bearing on New Testament historicity. I will not discuss the archaeological confirmation of the New Testament or the extra-biblical evidence for the historicity of Jesus. These important facts have been nicely summarized elsewhere.

For my purposes, I am assuming that the New Testament and the Koran are both Holy Books, that the New Testament is a collection of twenty-seven separate historical sources which, in turn, may have written or oral sources behind them. I go so far as to say, to make the assumption that the New Testament is a divinely inspired document and I believe such a position can be defended as it has been for nearly two millennia. I also make the assumption that the Koran is also divinely inspired. this position is as much an Islamic position as it is a Baha’i one.

With that introductory statement I would like to make a comment on a recent film directed by Mel Gibson. I would like to place the above comments on Holy Books and historicity in a context of this recent cinema event. A future posting will say more in a direct sense about the Baha’i Faith.–oops no more room—

I did not know that Mel Gibson made a movie about the Ba’hai faith.

Jonathon

[quote=RonPrice]I In posting my item here I am more than a little aware that the Baha’i Faith is no more a part of Islam than Christianity was part of Judaism, that both Baha’i and Christianity are independent religions

[/quote]

Actually this isn’t true. Chrisitianity is not independent of OT Judaism. It is the same religion. OT Judaism and Christianity are simply the progression of divine revelation over time–they are the same Truth. Modern Judaism (ie post-Jesus) departed from the Truth when they chose not to acknowledge the foretold Messiah (Now, obviously, modern Jews would say the Christians apostized by accepting a false Messiah, but you get the point).

Actually, Non-Catholic Religions has its own, non-demonation specific forums. This thread belongs there and not under Islam.

Apologies for taking 4 years to get back here.-Ron

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.