The Barbara Walters special on Heaven

The two-hour documentary, Heaven. Where is it? How do we get there?, airing Tuesday, December 20 at 9 p.m. (8 pm Central) on ABC, examines the many interpretations of the afterlife.

Barbara Walters talks to religious scholars including Washington, D.C.'s Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, Rabbi Neil Gilman of the New York Jewish Theological Seminary, Rev. Calvin Butts, pastor of the Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem, and the Dalai Lama. She also talks to the president of American Atheists and a Muslim suicide-bomber.

Walters asks Cardinal McCarrick one of her trademark “delicate” questions: Is there sex in heaven?

“I’m not being cynical, but I try to ask the questions that I think people want to know,” she said. “What will we look like? Will we be meeting Moses and Einstein and Picasso and so forth? Will we have sex?”

I saw the preview and he answered this last question beautifully and with clarity. We have much to look forward to in Heaven…

I’m watching it. As a former Buddhist (nominal, on my parents’ side) and non-denominational, unbaptized Protestant until I was called to the Catholic Church, this should be interesting TV fare.

“I hope that it will inspire,” said Walters. “I hope that this will make people talk and think.”

I hope you will jump in here and share your thoughts here.

[quote=Peace Pilgrim]The two-hour documentary, Heaven. Where is it? How do we get there?, airing Tuesday, December 20 at 9 p.m. (8 pm Central) on ABC, examines the many interpretations of the afterlife.

Barbara Walters talks to religious scholars including Washington, D.C.'s Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, Rabbi Neil Gilman of the New York Jewish Theological Seminary, Rev. Calvin Butts, pastor of the Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem, and the Dalai Lama. She also talks to the president of American Atheists and a Muslim suicide-bomber.

Walters asks Cardinal McCarrick one of her trademark “delicate” questions: Is there sex in heaven?

“I’m not being cynical, but I try to ask the questions that I think people want to know,” she said. “What will we look like? Will we be meeting Moses and Einstein and Picasso and so forth? Will we have sex?”

I saw the preview and he answered this last question beautifully and with clarity. We have much to look forward to in Heaven…

I’m watching it. As a former Buddhist (nominal, on my parents’ side) and non-denominational, unbaptized Protestant until I was called to the Catholic Church, this should be interesting TV fare.

“I hope that it will inspire,” said Walters. “I hope that this will make people talk and think.”

I hope you will jump in here and share your thoughts here.
[/quote]

I didn’t think the Dalai Lama believed in heaven.

This should be very interesting. I’m going to watch it.

Barbara Walters has attacked the Catholic Church on her daytime talk show. There was a thread in here about it a while ago.

How is this question relevent? Geez!

[quote=mikew262]How is this question relevent? Geez!
[/quote]

She still operates on the media mantra that the Catholic Church is anti-sex. She tries to embarass the Church.

A girl named Elizabeth, age 18, wanted to join a convent and was given a test. She was asked this question: Are you sometimes homesick for heaven?

She replied, “Yes, I am sometimes homesick for heaven, but except for the vision, I possess everything that is in heaven already on earth through grace.”

Beautiful.

[quote=mikew262]How is this question relevent? Geez!
[/quote]

A lot of people ask this. I think that most people think that true happiness includes sex, therefore how could anyone be truly happy without it. Since Jesus has told us that there is no marriage in Heaven, we really must conclude that there is no sex. Maybe there is something better. :smiley:

Since Jesus has told us that there is no marriage in Heaven, we really must conclude that there is no sex.

Well, I don’t know if there is sex in Heaven or not. However, I don’t think the the lack of marriage in Heaven automatically means there is no sex. Marriage is an institution set up for us here on Earth, and sex outside of it is very harmful. However, in Heaven those harmful consequences would not exist. At any rate, God knows us, and Heaven will not disappoint us, whether sex exists there or not.

I am always skeptical of everything B. Walters hosts but I do plan on watching it…mostly just to see what many others will be watching.

[quote=buffalo]I didn’t think the Dalai Lama believed in heaven.
[/quote]

Heaven is a basic Buddhist belief. The Buddhist idea of heaven is, of course, a bit different from the Christian idea.:smiley:

Okay when I heard the sex question I automatically thought of why we as humans have sex:

1. to unite us more fully to each other in the marital relationship

2. to procreate

No marriage, no marital relationship. No need to procreate. For me, this means that there is no NEED for sex in heaven. Kinda like “will I have my favorite ice cream in heaven b/c it makes me happy?” Well, I’d think the lack of need for nourishment in heaven and the vision of God would satisfy me more than ice cream or sex. Just a thought.

Jess

[quote=Ahimsa]Heaven is a basic Buddhist belief. The Buddhist idea of heaven is, of course, a bit different from the Christian idea.:smiley:
[/quote]

Then it isn’t really heaven now, is it?

There’s been very little revealed about Heaven. Therefore anybody’s opinion from great theologeons, to suicide bombers and even experts such a Barbara Walters can only guess and speculate.

I often wonder why so little has been revealed.

I actually laughed out loud when I saw this commercial last night. I just can’t imagine learning anything about salvation from Barbara Walters. But what the heck. I’ll watch.

Ok I watched the full 2 hours.

What is with the Evangelical with the strange lips? starbulletin.com/2005/04/09/features/art1c.jpg Is he a relative to the Fred Flintstone family? I could barely stand to look at him let alone listen to him. Ok this sounds uncharitable but there was something about his eyes and lips that gave me the creeps…he seemed shifty.

The B. Walters special was just what I expected it to be…very strange indeed.

Did anyone see the Pillsbury Doughboy advertisement during this 2 hour special…good grief…was Doughboy dancing and moving to Barry White’s I’m, Gonna Love You Just a Little Bit More Baby?

Gee, I missed it :rolleyes: . So she interviewed Cardinal McCarrick but not Richard McBrien or Thomas Reese? I would say this is finally a step in the right direction for BW toward fair and balanced reporting!

By the way, did she ask anybody if there is “soft focus” in Heaven? I would think that a lack of favorable lighting conditions would be a deal-breaker for her, but that is merely speculation…

[quote=msproule]Gee, I missed it :rolleyes: . So she interviewed Cardinal McCarrick but not Richard McBrien or Thomas Reese? I would say this is finally a step in the right direction for BW toward fair and balanced reporting!

By the way, did she ask anybody if there is “soft focus” in Heaven? I would think that a lack of favorable lighting conditions would be a deal-breaker for her, but that is merely speculation…
[/quote]

“We believe that they are the ones who take care of us. They are the messengers of God. They are the ones who are God’s very special friends and his servants,” said Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, archbishop of Washington, D.C., and chancellor of Catholic University.
“I always think of heaven as being a place where we won’t have any troubles anymore. Heaven is a place where there will be peace and tranquility,” McCarrick said. As a Catholic, McCarrick believes heaven is more than a spiritual place. Catholics, he explained, believe the body is resurrected. “I’m looking forward to meeting my mom and dad and the rest of my family,” he added.

From ABC News

Actor Richard Gere and an Evangelical with peculiar lips were given much more time than Cardinal McCarrick.

In all, I’d say you really did not miss much.

[quote=contemplative]Ok I watched the full 2 hours.

What is with the Evangelical with the strange lips? starbulletin.com/2005/04/09/features/art1c.jpg Is he a relative to the Fred Flintstone family? I could barely stand to look at him let alone listen to him. Ok this sounds uncharitable but there was something about his eyes and lips that gave me the creeps…he seemed shifty.
The B. Walters special was just what I expected it to be…very strange indeed.
[/quote]

Hi Completative, Yes, your comment may be uncharitable, but funny nonetheless, :rotfl:

Granted, he didn’t seem very spiritual to me but you have to admit that he pretty much told it like it is. He said that people that don’t accept Jesus will most likely not go to Heaven. Actually, I liked him a whole lot more than I liked Ms. Walters. She will embarrass the Church every chance that she gets. :mad: The NERVE of her to ask a Catholic Cardinal if there will be sex in Heaven.

[quote=shannin]The NERVE of her to ask a Catholic Cardinal if there will be sex in Heaven.
[/quote]

or a kiss on the cheek of Dali Lama…spare us all…ughh

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.