The Baronius 1962 Roman Missal

I, too, purchased the Baronius Press 1962 Roman Missal a few months ago, without a clue when (or how?) I would be able to use it. Like maurin, I am 43 years old. Unlike maurin, I have yet to assist (is this the correct term?) at a TLM.

Tells me there is something I need to experience, ya think?

After reading (with a little envy and much admiration!) maurin’s excellent account, I think I am ready.

Wish I knew a little Latin…

Peace all.

Mt19:26 - May I ask a few questions? How would you compare the quality of the printing in both? I bought the Angelus Press missal for one reason—type size, but I find the red printing to be uneven (here darker, there lighter). The black ink is solid. What’s the Baronius like? I’m also curious about the quality of the Baronius page gilding. I’ve read of problems they’ve had with their bibles in this regard. The Angelus Press missal seems very nicely gilt. Do the two use the same English translation? Lastly, are there any prayers or devotions you’ve found valuable in the Baronius but missing in the Angelus? Thanks!

I know that the Baronius contains the Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary, and the Angelus does not. Doesn’t the Baronius also contain a special section on unique particulars to the English and Scottish Mass?

Such nice things to read–thank you! To clarify, though, I have never served at a Traditional Latin Mass. When I have spoken of “participation” in the Mass, I meant my participation in offering the Prayers of the Mass, which the Priest does on my and our behalf. I believe that when others say that they ‘assist’ at a TLM it is in the older sense of the verb, as in ‘attend.’

Thanks for putting a smile on my face,

m

Sure…

I think the quality of printing is better in the Angelus. I like the size and type of font they used. I don’t notice the uneven red printing in mine. Maybe you got a missal that came from a bad batch? The paper also appears to be of higher quality in the Angelus missal…it feels “thicker” than the paper in the Baronius missal.

I agree with what you heard about the gilding. It didn’t take long at all for me to accidentally scrape some of the gilding off by accident.

In regards to the prayers and devotionals, I really don’t think I can answer that yet because I have mainly use the missals to follow along in Mass. If I have time in the next few days I’ll compare the two and post here.

Interestingly, the TLM society here in San Diego that organizes the indult is ordering a batch of missals from Angelus Press. I would have expected them to order from Baronius.

All that being said, I haven’t been using the Angelus or Baronius recently. My wife and son uses them. I have been using an old St. Joseph’s missal from 1962 that I bought off eBay. I like it better than the other two when used to follow along at Mass. I also bought a 1956 St. Joseph’s missal off eBay. It actually just arrived today. I compared the 1956 and 1962 versions briefly and didn’t see any differences so far. I was expecting to see slight differences. I guess I’ll be able to use the 1956 missal also at the TLM also.

One other thing I forgot to mention. The Baronius missal has a better cover. I believe it’s real leather. It looks, feels, and smells like it. The Angelus missal that I have appears to be “fake” leather.

Mt19:26 - Thanks for your observations! I’ll keep an eye out for any other comparisons you may want to post. I bought my Angelus Press missal direct from them and specified a leather cover which they offer in addition to the synthetic (skivertex) cover that most resellers seem to carry.

I just got my Missal today and trying to firgure out how to set it up for Mass tomorrow can anyone help with this I’m in Irving will be go to Mater Dei Catholic church

Well, I’ll offer my suggestion and welcome anyone else’s. I’m not sure if there is a standard to either missal. My Barionus is set up with one ribbon on the propers of the day, one for the preface, one for the Mass, proper of the saints, and two in the front for Confession and Communion.

That’s interesting, Ockham, I have mine set up the same way. In the devotions for Holy Communion, I am continually floored by St Francis Xavier’s Hymn of Love:

9 God, I love Thee not because I hope for heaven thereby,
Nor yet because who love Thee not are lost eternally.

Thou, O my Jesus, didst me upon the cross embrace;
For me didst bear the nails and spear and manifold disgrace;

And griefs and torments numberless, and sweat of agony;
E’en death itself–and all for me who was Thine enemy.

Then why, O blesséd Jesu Christ, should I not love Thee well?
Not for the sake of winning heaven, nor of escaping hell;

Not with the hope of gaining aught, not seeking a reward;
But, as Thyself hast loved me, O ever-loving Lord?

Even so I love Thee, and will love, and in Thy praise will sing;
Solely because Thou art my God and my most lovong King.

The most beautiful thing I have ever read. I was born on St Francis Xavier’s Feast day.

Thank you for the post. I needed to hear its message tonight. It also reminded me of when I was a boy being raised in the Episcopal Church. Back then they still used the 1940 Hymnal, and, I looked it up on the internet, it was hymn 456. We sang it fairly often in my parish.

Maurin, there is a beautiful anthem version of St. Francis Xavier’s hymn by 20th-century composer Jane Marshall entitled “My Eternal King”: youtube.com/watch?v=zyu-sYXO9XM&feature=related

(Disclaimer: Ms. Marshall is a Protestant, but her compositional style is reverent. I’m a schola director, and I’m very sensitive to that aspect of choosing music. If it’s a Catholic text, I see it as ‘repatriation’ of our patrimony :slight_smile: )

My husband owns a Baronius 1962 Missal and loves it. I mostly use the propers printed from Mass and Vespers and the Order of Mass from The Parish Book of Chant as a way of streamlining how many books the singers and I have to juggle in the loft. So I have several binders full of all the propers for Sundays and holy days instead of a real missal.

And for anyone wanting to say the Office in Latin, in various forms pre-Novus Ordo, I use this website: divinumofficium.com/cgi-bin/horas/officium.pl

Sometimes you can find traditional missals at antique or resale shops. I recently purchased for under $10 each:
[LIST]
*]1938 “My Sunday Missal, Explained” by Father Stedman, Confraternity of the Precious Blood,
*]1953 “Key of Heaven, A Manual of Catholic Devotion with Epistles and Gospels”, edited by Rev. J.M. Lelen, PhD, Catholic Book Publishing Co.
[/LIST]
I use them both, even though we still have the modern Mass at our parish. The prayers are so deep and reverent. I was blessed to have been through Catholic grade school before Vatican II, and I feel like I’m coming home.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.