The Beauty of Humanae Vitae

After seeing this thread on how the beauty of Humanae Vitae brought a man to the Church, I decided to read it. I had heard from other Catholics before about how beautiful the document was.

After reading it, I don’t understand the beauty that others see. I want to ask in a sincere way, what about the document do some Catholics find so compelling?

Please, please, please, I don’t want the thread to be about contraception (pro or against), I don’t want to hear “IT’S BEAUTIFUL BECAUSE IT’S TRUE!!!11!!”, or any arguments against the document. I really want to sincerely ask those who have something to add, what about it makes it such a beautiful document?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In the case of God, God is beautiful, and we grow in our capacity to behold his beauty.
What impresses me as beautiful is how marriage is a reflection of God’s own love.
An excerpt:

God’s Loving Design

1. Married love particularly reveals its true nature and nobility when we realize that it takes its origin from God, who “is love,” (6) the Father “from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named.” (7)

Marriage, then, is far from being the effect of chance or the result of the blind evolution of natural forces. It is in reality the wise and provident institution of God the Creator, whose purpose was to effect in man His loving design. As a consequence, husband and wife, through that mutual gift of themselves, which is specific and exclusive to them alone, develop that union of two persons in which they perfect one another, cooperating with God in the generation and rearing of new lives.

Of course, but I still appreciate your answer. Thanks.

I imagine it’s the theology of the body and of human marital relationships that people find beautiful and which hits home for them personally as being true.

In my opinion, Pope Paul VI should be a saint just because of this Encyclical and the difficult circumstance and pressure he was in but still held on to the truth.

I love this part:
**11. The sexual activity, in which husband and wife are intimately and chastely united with one another, through which human life is transmitted, is, as the recent Council recalled, "noble and worthy.’’ (11) It does not, moreover, cease to be legitimate even when, for reasons independent of their will, it is foreseen to be infertile. For its natural adaptation to the expression and strengthening of the union of husband and wife is not thereby suppressed. The fact is, as experience shows, that new life is not the result of each and every act of sexual intercourse. God has wisely ordered laws of nature and the incidence of fertility in such a way that successive births are already naturally spaced through the inherent operation of these laws. The Church, nevertheless, in urging men to the observance of the precepts of the natural law, which it interprets by its constant doctrine, teaches that each and every marital act must of necessity retain its intrinsic relationship to the procreation of human life. **

His layout of natural law in the marital embrace is wonderful!

I read it quite thoroughly some years back. Was even the thing that led me to this forum. I understand your question and would also like to know?

I began understanding Humanae Vitae when I read other documents or listened to other talks that referred back to the Encyclical. I gained more understanding of how simple the message actually is when taken in full context of the Church and God’s plan for us.

Maybe some ‘powerwatching’ of the following videos from World Meeting of Families 2015 might help:

Bishop Robert Baron: youtube.com/watch?v=ZpLaDvGyr0o
Dr. Scott Hahn: youtube.com/watch?v=ciQBqRw-F4E
Prof. Helen Alvare: youtube.com/watch?v=QCndvOTfrq4

These are just a few of the videos. WMOF 2015 has a YouTube channel and I highly encourage everyone to watch all of them. I did have a greater understanding of the genius of the Humanae Vitae after attending WMOF 2015.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.