http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/size340/Jihadist_silhouette_Credit_Oleg_Zabielin_via_wwwshutterstockcom_CNA_12_17_15.jpgRome, Italy, Dec 22, 2015 / 12:02 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- While the days of the Muslim Brotherhood are over, one expert says the February murder of 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians by ISIS has opened the door to an even wider persecution – one that’s gaining steam under new forms of Islamic authoritarianism.
Mariz Tadros, author and scholar on persecution in the Arab world, spoke at a conference last week in Rome, calling the gruesome beheadings “just the beginning.”
The murders, she said, have unleashed a new wave of both physical and economic persecutions against the country’s Christian minority.
“Following the beheading of the 21 Christians there were more assaults, physical assaults (and) murders of Ethiopians that didn’t appear as visibly in the press, but that basically showed a strategy of targeting Christians.”
Increased persecutions have also taken on an economic aspect, she said, explaining that Christians have begun to be exploited for economic interests.
At a time when everyone – Christians and non-Christians included – are suffering from a large “security vacuum,” the lack of a national condemnation for the beheadings and the absence of a zero-tolerance message for such acts “is very disconcerting,” Tadros told CNA.