The Beheading of the Holy Prophet and Forerunner John the Baptist

August 29

Byzantine Troparion/Apolytikion in the Second Tone
“The memory of the just is celebrated with hymns of praise, but the Lord’s testimony is sufficient for thee, O Forerunner; for thou hast proved to be truly even more venerable than the Prophets, since thou wast granted to baptize in the running waters Him Whom they proclaimed. Wherefore, having contested for the truth, thou didst rejoice to announce the good tidings even to those in Hades: that God hath appeared in the flesh, taking away the sin of the world and granting us great mercy.”

:highprayer:

A Blessed Feast/Fast Day to you all!

Holy and Great John Forerunner of the Lord, pray to God for us!

We were at Vespers last night for the solemn feast and I love how John the Baptist went to proclaim that Christ the Redeemer had come into the world to those who died. What rejoicing there must have been at the news! The Forerunner even proclaims Christ to the dead after his time with the living. :smiley:

Working overtime. :wink: :smiley:

Holy Prophet and Forerunner and Baptist John, pray for us.

Happy Feast Day everyone! Penny, I love that little known truth as well! God bless!

The hymnology of the Eastern Rite is so rich. Beautiful!

:smiley: Thank you for deepening my understanding. Happy Feast to all!

Kontakion in the Plagal of the First Tone (aka Tone Five)
“The glorious beheading of the Forerunner was a certain divine dispensation, that the coming of the Saviour might also be preached to those in Hades. Let Herodias lament, then, that she demanded a wicked murder; for she loved not the Law of God, nor eternal life, but one false and fleeting.”

Thank you, Zekariya! :slight_smile:

“Today in Your forerunner’s praise Your church will raise its voice…” Hymn
Just came back from Divine Liturgy, The Beheading of the Holy Prophet, Forerunner, and Baptist John
Glory to Jesus Christ!
Divine Liturgy, Heaven on Earth!

Happy Feast! Can’t resist sharing this… she gives us a chuckle when we’re much in need of it.

Some of us have been known to take a wedge out of a head of cabbage, add some season salt, and call it lunch…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.