"The Bells of St.Mary's"

This 1945 film withn the late Ingrid Bergman and Bing Crosby is one of the most deservedly loved of Catholic films(next to “Miracle of the Bells” and “The Shoes Of the Fisherman”). i especially liked the climax where Sister Mary Benedict( Ingrid Bergman) prays in the chapel to God to remove all bitterness and anger from her heart upon being sent away from the parish( as she unwittingly has contracted tuberculosis, this is necessry for her health and possibly her life but she erroneously thinks at first that it’s due to her disagreements with Father O’Malley). Anybody else think as I do?

Terry

Yes - It’s a wonderful film. Somewhat “idealized” etc. but who cares??

My favorite scene is when the first graders are rehearsing their Christmas play.

Peace
James

Great movie, although I’ve always thought Bing not telling her why he was sending her away was really awkward, clunky and unnecessary. Why wouldn’t he tell her? It would have made a great deal more sense to tell her why, especially because it related to her health. Other than that, I love the movie.

I agree. While it was more common back then to withhold news like this from patients, I always felt that Fr. O’Malley would have known that Sr Benedict was strong enough to handle it and in fact it would be better to tell her.

Peace
James

It is a very sweet film. Oh, and Barry Fitzgerald: Ya gotta love him!

Actually Barry Fitzgerald was in the first “Fr O’Malley” movie - Going My Way - but I agree ya gotta love him. So many good scenes with him in that film.

Peace
James

You know, I realized that right after I posted, of course!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.