The Best Band

Radiohead are easily the best out there today. Albums such as Kid A and *OK Computer *are pure brilliance. If you haven’t already heard their music, I suggest you take a listen. Are there any other fans here? Anyone have any comments/opinions you’d like to share?

Certainly you can think of something to say so that we can get a discussion going. Come on, what are you favorite songs/albums? Are you excited for LP7?

Yes, they are the best band out there today.

Best Album
Led Zeppelin IV

Pink Floyd
Dark Side of the Moon

The Who
Who’s Next

Aerosmith
Toys in the Attic

Queen
A Night at the Opera

Fleetwood Mac
Rumours

CCR
The Best of

The Doors
The Best of

The Doobie Brothers
The Best of

The Eagles
Hotel California

That about covers it. Today’s music can’t come close.

A few of those albums you mentioned are good, but have you heard Radiohead?

I like IV, but Presence is seriously underrated.

Pink Floyd
Dark Side of the Moon

I am partial to Meddle

The Who
Who’s Next

Aerosmith
Toys in the Attic

Queen
A Night at the Opera

There are a lot of great Queen albums. Hard to argue with this one, although the double live album is also great. Especially Brian May’s treatment of Brighton Rock.

Fleetwood Mac
Rumours

CCR
The Best of

The Doors
The Best of

The Doobie Brothers
The Best of

The Eagles
Hotel California

You are missing some great ones…
Yes, Close to the Edge, and 90125 for the new school (Trevor Rabin was amazing)

Rush, lots of good stuff to chose from there.

That about covers it. Today’s music can’t come close.

Gotta strongly disagree here. Dream Theater is a simply amazing band with phenominal talent. At least one Catholic member, and their original keyboardist modeled a logo after the Sacred Heart. They are truly virtuosos. Their lyrics are intelligent, and range in topics from stem cell research to mental illness to the temptations of Jesus Christ. They are progressive (with a harder edge at times, especially lately) with some true epic works. One album is a single song (suite) about past life regression, while another whole disc is a tale of mental illness passed from father to daughter. I can’t say enough about them, but will stop there.

-Graing

The best band (and I am biased) in my opinion is U2. You just have to look at all the things they have accomplished musically and otherwise, such as: How long they have been together (33 years) and not have had any members leave. They are willing to take chances, good (Achtung Baby) and bad (Pop-which the majority does not care for, I like it, but again I’m biased) to risk not sounding the same, which is the way alot of other bands take. The messages in their songs are both personal and universal. They are EXCELLENT musicians, individually and together. Their concerts are an experience unto themselves, it’s really hard to describe. It’s like no matter how large the venue, it still has a very intimate atmosphere. I could go on and on, but I will not bore you.

Other top bands/singers in my opinion are:
Dave Matthews Band, Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jeff Buckley, The Pixies, Led Zepplin, yellowcar, Coldplay…

I have seen Radiohead in concert at a small venue @ a college and it was AWESOME!

Shewis, that Radiohead show must have been incredible. Jeff Buckley is another favourite of mine.

Yeah it was a great show. It was when they were touring for OK Computer. I remember they opened with “Lucky”. The energy they have is amazing. Yeah, it really sad that Jeff Buckley died so early, I can only imagine what he could have dreamed up…

OK Computer is god-like, along with Kid A. The Buckleys were both so amazing. I watched this documentary about Jeff last summer. It was really good; you might still be able to find it somewhere on the net. Grace is one of the most beautiful albums I’ve ever heard.

It is a harmless pleasure to argue about the best singer or best band or best quarterback or whatever. However, assertions without some sense of context or criteria are worse than useless and aren’t much fun. That said, I nominate Cream in the Rock catagory. Criteria: Impact on the music business, clear talent (especially Clapton), their popularizing the blues for a new generation and they still sound good today. I think the Rolling Stones are almost tied with Cream for the same reasons plus they were a much needed antidote to the Beatles.

I have heard Radiohead is really good but I wouldn’t they are THE BEST Band out there today. In fact it is hard to put a tag on who is THE BEST because there really aren’t any that are the best. Sure someare quite easily arguably better than others but there are a few other good bands out there today and it is hard to lable some bands better than others because they could be in completley different genres of music.

I don’t think any of these are the “best band”, but some good bands I listen to. The behemoth power trio that is RUSH is still making genius music in odd time signatures and with multiple parts for each of the three men to play. I have also come quite to fancy The White Stripes with Jack White’s slide blues/garage rock and he manages to keep simple songs pure genius. I enjoy the Fratellis for simple fun music and also Daft Punk for some off the wall techno. Anyone else like any of these groups.

The White Stripes and Daft Punk are quite good. Try some more Radiohead though.

Graing,

You have brought my attention back to Dream Theater. I bought ‘Images and Words’ a long time ago (when it first came out) and then bought the subsequent albums. When I was younger my friends and I would simply buy albums (CDs) to see what we would like and suggest it to each other. DT was one that I bought and fell in love with the music immediately. I loved James LaBrie’s voice and the progressive rock that I was not used to. However, even though I bought all of their other albums (I think that I sold one :blush: ) I stopped at Metroplois Part II and lost touch with this band, until your email. While I cannot find I&W album yet, I am revisiting A Change of Seasons, Metropolis Part II and Awake. I am downloading songs to my mp3 player as well.

Onto my questions. Which member of the band is Catholic? I never looked (or listened) to their music from this angle, but will do so. What songs are you referring to? I would love to listen to them to get a different message from them now.

Thanks for your post. If you do not want to hijack this thread with talk of Dream Theater, PM me!

U2 hands down. Can you find anyone better than The Edge? Pure genius.
The Beatles. Love em’, can’t help it.
The Doors.
Franze Ferdinand. One of the best and most under-rated bands around right now. Their sound is very orginal.
Led Zepplin
Pixies
Rammstein
Santa Esmeralda. Not into all of their songs, but ‘Don’t let me be misunderstood’ is brilliant.
Simon and Garfunkel
Sloan
Snow Patrol. Love this band. Better than Coldplay.
Texas. Another very under-rated band.
Within Temptation. Evanesance has nothing on this band. This band is amazing. ‘Somewhere’ and ‘Angel’ are awsome.
Lunascape. ‘Lane Navachi’ is a great song.
Coldplay.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.