The Best Medicine for what ails you

Dear brothers and sisters,
I am on my soapbox today, and want to share with you about an extremely important subject.
If you are overweight, or have heart problems, or pain in your joints or back, or are getting weaker as you get older, or want to be around to see your grandchildren graduate from high school, I urge you to exercise.
Take a walk for half an hour a day. Go for a jog., a swim, play WiiFit.
We are all so busy taking care of our families that we don’t take time to care for ourselves.
But to take good care of others we have to stay fit and strong.
Many of you are young parents, have lots of energy (maybe) so think this might not apply to you,
But it does – you can set a great example for your children by exercising with them, showing them how it will lift your spirits, keep your weight under control, lower your cholesterol, reduce your need for medications, avoid the risk of diabetes.
Over half of us Americans are overweight, and a huge percentage are obese. We were created to move. Jesus walked miles whenever He wanted to get anywhere.
We need to imitate Him in this as well as in other things, even in our fast-paced, technological world.
Okay, I’ll get off my soapbox now. God bless.

A good reminder for us all.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

:bowdown2: :egyptian: :bowdown2: :choocho: :bowdown2: :whackadoo: :bowdown:

I hope emoticons count . . . . . . . . :smiley:

Great advice.

Some of us do not have a free hour to walk during daylight hours or the $$$$$ to spend on a pool membership, video game console. For us, it is go up and down the steps as many times as possible each day!

*I agree!

One of the most interesting aspects of exercise (to me anyways) is that it’s very hard to complain when working out. It really is…you might have something troubling you on your mind…then, you begin to walk, jog, lift weights…and strangely, by the end of the workout, you forgot what you were upset over. :blush::smiley: I find it remarkable. I think it’s because you have to concentrate on your breathing, reps, laps, whatever you are doing…while working out, that your brain can’t concentrate on that and complaining at the same time. :hmmm: *

I agree in part.

It's easy for me to say it though, because I've never struggled with my weight-I have temptations, but food isn't one of them.

It's hard for some people though...yes, they should try, and nothing bothers me more than sloth and laziness, but for some people genetically pre-determined to be overweight, it's alot harder than diet and exercise.

I never had weight issues for most of my life, either Rascalking...exercise is a lot more about overall health and well being. My husband's dad was 6'5" and thin as a rail and had three heart attacks in his life...so weight isn't always an indicator of health. Not to scare you. lol :D Just sayin'.

So should I see a doctor about my chronic chest pains and shortness of breath? :wink:

Exercise helps the heart and gives the brain enough to focus on so it stops thinking about other things that may be more trivial in our life. The increased heart rate and breathing rate helps to relax you and tire you out. Desk jobs are not natural to humans but God wouldnt have given them to us without a good reason or way to stay healthy with it. No matter the job there is a way to stay healthy and get exercise in. It just might not be as regular as you might like.

[quote="mjs1987, post:9, topic:189152"]
Exercise helps the heart and gives the brain enough to focus on so it stops thinking about other things that may be more trivial in our life. The increased heart rate and breathing rate helps to relax you and tire you out. Desk jobs are not natural to humans but God wouldnt have given them to us without a good reason or way to stay healthy with it. No matter the job there is a way to stay healthy and get exercise in. It just might not be as regular as you might like.

[/quote]

I agree...we were not made to be sitting all day! :o If you stop for a minute to think about a treadmill. The purpose of it. A moving platform so we can time ourselves walking because we don't walk enough in our everyday life! That is so funny, to me. I thought about that the other day while on ours...I have boring thoughts, what can I say. :p

I agree with the OP for the most part, but I want to add a reminder to all not to judge others.

First, many of us who are fat DO exercise. I’ve been in the gym 3-5 times a week since the beginning of the years. Due to various joint disorders, I’m not able to do any weight-bearing exercise (including walking), so I don’t drop pounds at the rate that the folks on Biggest Loser do. You wouldn’t know to look at me that I work out. But I do. I keep plodding along, doing my biking and weight lifting and crunchies.

If you could see my labs, you would see that the exercise IS making a difference. My labs are beautifully normal. That’s the exercise and pretty-good diet (80% of the time).

But I’m still very fat (255 pounds). Please don’t judge me.

Secondly, for many of us, exercise is not merely messy and sweaty and uncomfortable, it’s painful. Today, for some reason (warming temps? something I ate yesterday?), my knees decided to act up. They’ve been really good lately, but not today. Imagine chewing on tin foil–that’s kind of how my knees feel. They feel like there’s sand or something in the joints.

But I went to the gym and I did my workout. And you know something–I hurt even more afterwards.

I could barely limp out to the car. The lady in the grocery store (a fellow parishioner) asked me if I had hurt myself because I was limping so bad. Right now, I’m doing forums because it forces me to sit and rest. I’m hoping I’m not up all night with the pain.

So again, don’t judge. It’s really hard to get up the motivation to exercise when it truly hurts and the exercise doesn’t make the pain any better, but instead, makes it worse.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.