The Best Version of Yourself

I don't know if he coined it, but I'm borrowing the line from Matthew Kelly.

Hello all, first post here in the forums. I've been reading the blogs for a long time but just never joined the forum until today.

I'll try to keep this short as possible...I've been really struggling for a long time, trying to figure out what I should be doing with my life. For years my internal conflict has been of a secular nature--simply thinking, "I don't like this company or this line of work, what should I do?" But more recently I've experienced a tragedy that really brought my wife and I both much closer to God and each other. In the midst of all of that I've realized there is more to the question and what I really need to know is, what is God calling me to do?

I have what most would consider a good job at reputable company but through the eyes of growing Catholic neither of those descriptors seems accurate. So much about it has repulsed me from day one, from the unashamed excesses of the executives, to the way people are viewed as a commodity (and the way I participate in that view), to the over-the-top pandering to secular causes (there was a rainbow flag flying in front of the building the entire month of June in honor of gay pride month, not to mention all the other propaganda). It really bothers me to be there, but my salary has grown and the more it grows the harder it becomes to walk away, especially when I can't see a path beyond the EXIT sign.

I know that I am capable of so much more and I feel an incredibly strong desire to spend my days doing something meaningful. I just don't know how to get there. So much more I could say, but at some point it becomes ranting. So with that I will stop and ask for advice. What I've done so far: 1) Pray 2)StrengthsFinder test 3) diocesan/ministerial job searches.

Boy, I so get what you are saying. But we are in the world, not of the world, so you are on the right path with your discomfort. I think our Lord needs good disciples in places like your company to influence and effect a Godly culture. It sounds like you are at a level where you could question the executive excesses? Where you might treat the people more humanly? I was very proud of my husband recently, when he went to the mat at his employer for better pay for those with the difficult jobs in the trenches (which happen to be closest to their customers).

Try to remember we are the church militant (I remind myself of this every day when I feel overwhelmed, frustrated, ineffective, afraid). We need to keep going, keep glorifying God, in our lives, work, family and otherwise. Perhaps you are to be doing something else? All you can do is pray for direction, "come Holy Spirit". I am doing the same. May God continue to bless you on your journey!

Thank you Wendie, it is good to hear from others in the same situation. I’ve wondered plenty of times if I’m really meant to stay there to be Christ’s witness. It feels futile to attempt to change such a massive company but I guess every change starts with a single step? My problem is that I just can’t shake this feeling that I’m not doing what I’m supposed to be.

Maybe you are not - keep praying for discernment. If you are considering other options, then tell people. Your network of friends and colleagues cannot help you if they don't know what you are seeking. Today I told a friend I was looking for a new job (my kids are older now), and she promptly said "my husband's company is always looking for good people, send me your resume". Talk and connect and if you are to be doing something else, the Lord will open a big wide door for you!

I like the Best Version of Yourself, thank you for that. It is Matthew Kelly.

[quote="CAC0509, post:1, topic:331590"]
.............I have what most would consider a good job at reputable company but through the eyes of growing Catholic neither of those descriptors seems accurate. So much about it has repulsed me from day one, from the unashamed excesses of the executives, to the way people are viewed as a commodity (and the way I participate in that view), to the over-the-top pandering to secular causes (there was a rainbow flag flying in front of the building the entire month of June in honor of gay pride month, not to mention all the other propaganda). It really bothers me to be there, but my salary has grown and the more it grows the harder it becomes to walk away, especially when I can't see a path beyond the EXIT sign.

I know that I am capable of so much more and I feel an incredibly strong desire to spend my days doing something meaningful. I just don't know how to get there. So much more I could say, but at some point it becomes ranting. So with that I will stop and ask for advice. What I've done so far: 1) Pray 2)StrengthsFinder test 3) diocesan/ministerial job searches.

[/quote]

God bless you as you discern your next steps. My husband was in a similar position in a very small town, and our lives were very intertwined (children, church, community) with his boss. God make it very clear that my husband needed to leave his job, and leave immediately; we had ignored the warning signs until then, and then God said, "It's time to GO NOW!" God also provided for us until my husband got another job (he left his job immediately, 2 weeks notice, most used as vacation, but no job on the horizon).

I pray you'll know the right thing for you to do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.