The Bible and it's importance to us

After going to Mass for over 30 years I’m now learning the value and connection of the Bible and the Holy Mass. The Liturgy of the Word and the Liturgy of the Eucharist. Two wonderful parts we celebrate during Holy Mass. The Holy Scriptures as I get older seems to come alive in almost everything I do and experience. I saw a non Catholic religion who I felt is pulling people away people from the Catholic Faith and right away I remembered the quote of those who harm a child in Faith it would be better if they were to be tide around the neck, anchored and thrown into the sea for doing such a thing. What experiences have you had with the Bible. I like to use the St. Joseph’s Bible as well.

As a child, we had a large leather bound bible with a circular picture of the Blessed Mother in the center. The print was large, with the words of Jesus written in red. I still have it, but read the cover off of it decades ago. In 1966 a priest gave me a “New Jerusalem Bible”. The cover is gone, but I keep it next to my bed with a RSV and St, Joseph’s Bible as well.

The word of God is alive. I pray the Psalms, or The Holy Spirit prays them through me, sometimes I can’t tell the difference. In different times and circumstances, parts of Sacred Scripture have educated and edified the essence of my being. It has become one book, a part of me. I see now every word as if it were directed toward my salvation, and mine alone. This does not alter the reality that it is written to and for you alone as well.

A love song. A love poem. Written by Love, it does not return to Our Father without accomplishing His Loving Plan. Are you aware of “Lectio Divina”? See The CCC 1174-1178. Also CCC 104 In Sacred Scripture, the Church constantly finds her nourishment and her strength, for she welcomes it not as a human word, “but as what it really is, the word of God”.67 "In the sacred books, the Father who is in heaven comes lovingly to meet his children, and talks with them."68

Peace

ocarm.org/en/content/lectio/what-lectio-divina

I’ve been ready my Catholic Bible more regularly. I’m still finding new ‘stuff’ in there. :doh2:

The Bible converted me. I have read the Bible cover to cover four times. Reading scripture, meditating upon it and praying it back to God is one of the greatest joys of my life.

-Tim-

Tim, have you tried Lexio Devina. Hope I spelled it right. A shorter version of that along with someone with vast knowledge of scriptures is enthralling! It may take several attempts to feel good about it. :clapping:

Lectio Divina, as well as preaching on the Scripture readings for many years now. I have many “favorites”–who could pick and choose?–but often my second favorite (after whatever I’m currently reading) is Hosea, with his love even for an unfaithful spouse. And how he pities her who is not to be pitied, and accepts as his own those who were not his people.

Currently reading the OT. Finding most of it hard going. Hard to understand. So far i have reached Isaiah.

I’ve found it better not to read in Bible order, but to change it up–often I alternate OT and NT books, or split up some of the more turgid books (Leviticus comes to mind, and Deutronomy, plus some of the Wisdom books can be tough going too.) with those that are richer for me–the Gospels, Letters of the NT, Psalms, and Prophets are often more rewarding.

Sacred Reading: The Ancient Art of Lectio Divina by Michael Casey

http://bks3.books.google.com/books?id=MTMpPAAACAAJ&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&imgtk=AFLRE70amZC0WV5hCKS5aJNdUK4q12ui7sQpAlv9fvMywCYT-Up1VXi9pqyq6novFQ4-rA68qm5NYuyMBu5Hgs4m3zTs87Q_hydQef3PX1QvP5BvPqko8_1QHfby_PluRO8ykwzm8Jqr

Michael wrote a paper on Lectio titled “The Word Became Text and Dwelt Among Us.” I don’t know if it is copyrighted but will post it if I find out that it is not.

-Tim-

Also, anyone who wants to get into reading Scripture for the first time or wants to read the Bible cover to cover the first time would do well to get into “The Bible Timeline” study by Jeff Cavins/Great Adventure. This is a Catholic study, not a rewritten Protestant study. It references the Catechism and encyclicals frequently and is faithful to the magesterium. It is an excellent overview of the Bible and will set the stage for a lifetime of reading and understanding scripture.

I can personally vouch for the excellence of this study. I have hosted this study twice in my home. You will walk away with an understanding of who the prophets were and what their messages were, where the various books fit in with other books, covenants and a history of Israel in general and salvation in particular.

ascensionpress.com/t/category/study-programs/catholic-bible-study/adult-bible-study

It’s not expensive if you get a half dozen people to chip in for the DVD’s or if you can get the parish to support it.

-Tim-

Nice TimothyH Thanks for the info.

What a wonderful topic. What can I say about the Bible and it’s importance to me? Without taking anything away from the Sacraments which are pre-eminently important to me, I can say that the Holy Scriptures are just so dear to my heart. They have brought me to Jesus, they have helped me to know God and His great love for us. The Scriptures teach me about our history as a people of God, the teach me how to behave, how to worship, how to love, etc. Again, I’m not trying to take away from the importance of the Sacraments, but it is right to acknowledge just how important the Scriptures have been in my life. About 10 years ago, I joined a Bible study and God has really used this study to transform my life. The great thing about this particular study is that it’s whole point is to bring Jesus from your head to your heart through the study of the Holy Scriptures. In other words, it isn’t just about learning what the Scriptures say, but letting the Lord transform your life. This comes not only from studying the Scriptures in light of the teaching of the Church, but from a great deal of prayer and contemplation. People who study the Scriptures already know this, of course, but some people who don’t really study the written Word might not realize just how transformative and personal the Scriptures can be in our lives.

Similar to the OP’s experience, I have also had the experience of having read through the Bible in its entirety and then going back again and having and entirely new understanding of the passages than I did before. I suppose that comes partly from maturing spiritually, but I think it is also a gift of the Lord that helps us to always see new things in His written Word. As someone already quoted from Scripture the word of God is alive and active, etc. So, because it is alive, it “speaks” to us in different ways at different times in our lives.

PS. One great way to really let the Scriptures into your heart is to insert your name into them. Take John 3:16 for example: “For God so loved Wilt that He gave His only Son that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” You can do this with many, many Scriptures and you may be surprised by how deeply they can touch you…

EWTN did a joint study between Dr. Scott Hahn and Jeff Cavins called “Out Father’s Plan”. You can get the audio files (13 of them) free on the EWTN website. The mix Cavin’s timeline history with Hahn’s covenant theology. Fantastic!

You can find the files at:

ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/seriessearchprog.asp?seriesID=-306548622&T1=

And get yourself Navarre commentaries on the 14 Historical books and you’ll REALLY increase your understanding.

Prayer Warrior it is refreshing to read your text. Your living the Gospels and Faith just as we are called to do:extrahappy::extrahappy::extrahappy: Remember our Mass consists of both Liturgy of the Word and Liturgy of the Eucharist. Cool huh!

I didn’t know about the audio files at EWTN. Thanks!

-Tim-

As Catholics, reading and knowing the Holy Scriptures is so vidal. We are so blessed today that the scriptures are so easily available today for us to read. Reading scriptures is Knowing Jesus. Receiving communion is living with Jesus. Ask the Holy Spirit to be present then in your life and see how it enlightens and gladdens your soul!

I think the Bible is important because the teachings contained within are timeless. We learn about salvation history and Jesus’ time on Earth.

I have tried Lectio Divina but I am easily distracted in general. I seem to have a short attention span, that or I’m just usually too exhausted to concentrate.

I don’t know if I have a favorite Bible (or Bible translation) per se. Currently I use the RSV:Second Catholic Edition for personal reading. I also like the Jerusalem Bible. I’m thinking about using the Confraternity Douay-Rheims Bible and possibly KJV despite the archaic-sounding English. I usually don’t restrict myself to one translation as some other people do.

Currently I am reading through the OT (at 2 Chronicles and Psalms) the first time and re-reading the New Testament again a second time (at Romans now). It can be difficult getting through the OT and even the NT. I am hoping the study materials I receive from the Catholic Home Study Service help me to get a better grasp at understanding how Catholics view the Bible. Reading it is one thing, living it is far harder for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Praying-Scripture-Change-Introduction-Lectio/dp/1934217484/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1403320530&sr=1-1&keywords=praying+scripture+for+a+change+by+tim+gray#reader_1934217484The book “Praying Scripture for a Change” by Tim Gray is also an excellent introduction to Lectio Devina. The Amazon version is at:

amazon.com/Praying-Scripture-Change-Introduction-Lectio/dp/1934217484/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1403320530&sr=1-1&keywords=praying+scripture+for+a+change+by+tim+gray

I always keep the bible close to hand so when I run into someone, I can minister to them the Word. And it’s much easier now. Thanks be to God!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.