The bible and roman numerals?

how would you write a bible verse in roman numerals (ex. 2 timothy 1:7 the book of the bible can be translated into LV since it is the 55th book in order.) but would you separate the numbers as LV.I.VII or LV.I:VII or a different way? i can not figure this out and its driving me CRAZY, please help.

You have a lot of time on your hands, don’t you? I would suggest something like II Timotheo I:vii (this uses Roman numerals and the Latin name for Timothy) I’m not aware of any indexing that would use the “book number” rather than the common name, hence the use of LV would be irrelevant (not to mention this “counting” doesn’t include the Deuterocanonical books, which would be fine for Protestants). Note that the Chapter number would be capitalized, the verse number would be lower case (of course, the chapters and verses were added centuries after the actual books were written).

This is just me talking, but I think that Roman numerals should be outlawed in all contexts :p I hate them.

[quote="DaveBj, post:3, topic:340821"]
This is just me talking, but I think that Roman numerals should be outlawed in all contexts :p I hate them.

[/quote]

:eek::rotfl:

[quote="DaveBj, post:3, topic:340821"]

[/quote]

Nooooooo!!! :eek:
Roman numerals are wonderful! Sure, they're just ridiculously hard to figure out quickly and they are basically "letter numbers" :rolleyes:, but other than that, they're wonderful!:D

The only time I like seeing Roman numerals is for the Super Bowl.

[quote="CruceSignati, post:5, topic:340821"]
Nooooooo!!! :eek:
Roman numerals are wonderful! Sure, they're just ridiculously hard to figure out quickly and they are basically "letter numbers" :rolleyes:, but other than that, they're wonderful!:D

[/quote]

Bah! Not to mention, Humbug! :D

Also remember that without Roman numerals, you can’t have the copyright notice at the end of motion picture credits.

[quote="vikingchild34, post:1, topic:340821"]
how would you write a bible verse in roman numerals (ex. 2 timothy 1:7 the book of the bible can be translated into LV since it is the 55th book in order.) but would you separate the numbers as LV.I.VII or LV.I:VII or a different way? i can not figure this out and its driving me CRAZY, please help.

[/quote]

I don't think you could get a standardized way to do that because the book order varies depending on the publisher. In the NAB, for example, the 2 Books of Maccabees appear at the end of the historical books, while in the RSV-CE they appear after the prophets due to a tradition of placing some of the Deuterocanonical books "between the testaments." Also, some bibles put Job in the historical books, while others put him in the poetical books. Because the order of the books varies considerably, I don't think you could get a standardized roman-numeral ordering for them.

That’s one of the things that makes me hate Roman numerals – trying to figure out when a movie was made before the MCMXLIX scrolls off the screen. Why not just say “Copyright 1949”?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.