The Bible Code and 2012

A few months back I saw this special on the History Channel call “The Bible Code” where Jewish scholars found an encrypted message in the Torah that made prophecies and such. It seemed very interesting. Anyway, I bring it up now because I ran into a book the other day on the year 2012 and how something big is suppose to happen then. It dedicated a chapter to “The Bible Code” talking about how the Torah has an encrypted message saying that something big (perhaps catastrophic) will occur that year. If you know what I’m talking about I was just wondering what your thoughts are on this being that it come out of a section of our own bible. As Catholics/Christians should we dismiss this? Or is there perhaps something to this “Bible Code” that some of our Jewish brothers and sisters are studying?

Sorry for the poor citation but here is a Wikipedia link to what I’m talking about:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_code

The ‘Bible Code’ was revealed as a hoax over a decade ago.

As for the ‘History’ Channel, they ought to rename it the ‘UFO and Alien Channel’. Like much of Cable TV in the past decade, it has nosedived.

Are you sure it’s a hoax? It was on TBN (Trinity Broadcasting Network) a couple of weeks ago. Wouldn’t they have known if it were a hoax of not?

I assume you’re joking and simply forgot an emotioncon.
:eek:
:smiley:

No I’m not. I watched it because it looked interesting. Of course, it was TBN, not EWTN (and I like the pure CATHOLIC network better).

:thumbsup:

This is a issue which should be approached with the proper cautions. While on one hand the Hebrew and Greek texts of Scripture should be seen as containing “God’s fingerprint” on multiple levels, we should never take this as an indication there is a secret coded teaching or message in Scripture.

The idea that God placed these coded messages in Scripture which require advanced computers to decode is simply absurd and dangerous. This attitude comes largely from the Adventist movement of the 1800s where cetain Protestants first conceived of the idea that the Bible contained a coded message of when Christ would really return. Back then though all they did was draw off of numbers found in Scripture and perform what they thought were logical calculations for the number of years which Christ would return. This Bible Code stuff is nothing but a more sophisticated form (via the aid of computers) of what the Adventists had done.

Worse yet, or should I say most laughable and ironic, is that many of these Adventists and especially these computers today doing the calculations base their “findings” on the Protestant canon of Scripture (or even the English of the KJV :eek:), which is missing seven books! :slight_smile: No wonder they cant get their predictions correctly.

There certainly could be patterns or numberings of letters which would serve to tell us this could not have been chance and must be an inspired book, but that is a far far cry from the dangerous position of teaching people there is a coded message and we have hacked it.

God didn’t “encode” His revelation to humanity. Had He done so, it wouldn’t have been a “revelation” at all.

My mother once sent me an email about where the middle of the Bible was. Of course when I actually did the same thing using my Bible I came to a completely different verse in Scripture. They were using the modern KJV. The came up with Psalm 118:8. I don’t remember what the verse was that I came up with, should have put into the computer but…, I do know that it was NOT Psalm 118. If I remember right it was one of the Psalms just not Psalm 118.

don’t be embarrassed by asking about the year 2012. i believe that is also the last year of the aztec calender and many people do believe something big will happen. we can only speculate on the aztec calendar and the bible code as far as how authentic they both are and how much importance should be given to them.
i remember before the year 2000 there was Y2K fears which never materialized, however, since 2000, world peace and security seems to be declining as well as our economy. deborah

Yes.

Everything we need to know for salvation has been revealed by Jesus. The idea of “hidden knowledge” is the heresy of gnosticism.

2012 is when the Mayan calendar comes to the end of one “long cycle” and begins another. The Mayans used a Base-20 counting system in their long calendars, and imagined that the world was remade at the end of each long cycle.

Certain crackpots point back to the beginning of the current and previous “long cycles”, match them up to disasters like the Great Flood, and want us to believe the Mayans “knew” something about the end of the world coming in 2012.

The hollywood types even made a movie about it: “2012 Doomsday” imdb.com/title/tt1132130/

Rent the movie if you’re really curious, but don’t waste the money buying it.

There is no Bible Code.

Why do people always try to predict the end? Doesn’t the bible tell us no one but God himself knows when it will be? So there can not be any man on earth who could know it or predict it. And not sure but doesnt the bible also say that trying to read the future is wrong as well?

It would seem to me that people would be better off trying to live the best they can for god each and every day and not worry about the future. Today could be a persons last day on earth for one reason or another and thats what we should focus on.

BP

Might as well ask why people watch the news about hurricanes and volcanoes that are too far away to affect them.

It would seem to me that people would be better off trying to live the best they can for god each and every day and not worry about the future. Today could be a persons last day on earth for one reason or another and thats what we should focus on.

BP

Exactly.

So far as I’m concerned, the end of the world will probably occur sometime in the next 50 years. The “end-times” signs I am watching - the only ones that are really meaningful - have to do with my own health.

If I’m ok with my God today, and get hit by a semi on the highway an hour from now, I don’t have anything to worry about so far as heaven is concerned.

Bible Code: A way for people to have no limit on what they want to insert into the Bible.

How the Mayans chose the date of the Apocalypse:

http://images.chron.com/apps/comics/images/2008/7/19/Argyle.43.g.gif

Are you sure it’s a hoax? It was on TBN (Trinity Broadcasting Network) a couple of weeks ago. Wouldn’t they have known if it were a hoax of not?

**That bunch of dispensationalist pop-evangelicals are even MORE likely to be deceived.

These Bible/Torah codes boil down to using the Bible as a ouija board–and divination is a sin against faith and confidence in God’s providence.**

TBN also broadcasts Benny Hinn. Enough said.

I like that description, I’m going to have to use that in the future.

:rotfl:

I recommend that you talk to Muzhik. He is knowledgeable about this sort of thing. I know he has written a number of posts on this subject on the End Times Speculation thread on the back fences forum. He has some really interesting things to say.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.