"The Bible" History Channel Series

Did anyone who watched last night's first installment of this series have an informed opinion on it? (yes, we all know The History Channel's wretched reputation for series having to do with religion, so we don't need to belabor that point).

Looking for for impressions by people who actually watched it or have actual information about it. Thanks.

Sorry I missed it. I thought they had been advertising that it was to start on March 3rd.

It doesn’t premiere until next Sunday.

You are both right; I was mistaken about the date. Anyone have any advance information on this?

my two cents...

I have found that the worst History Channels series are those mostly full of characters acting out scenes with voice-overs.

The best are those where they go digging around, or visit museums and ancient sites, and talk to a lot of experts.

We will see. If it starts off with Noah loading up the Ark and looking pensively up at the sky, well, you know it is going to be REALLY bad.

Both "America the Story of Us" and "Mankind: The Story of All of Us" were pretty good, and very well filmed.

In recent years the production value of History channel shows has increased greatly, and from what I've seen of "The Bible" from trailers it looks like it could bring the Bible alive for many people.

Well, here's the official trailer and it's got some high-caliber endorsements from a wide range of religious leaders including Luis Palau, Rick Warren, several Catholic bishops, and Tom Peterson of Catholics Come Home.

bibleseriesresources.com/quotes

[quote="Fidelis, post:7, topic:316395"]
Well, here's the official trailer and it's got some high-caliber endorsements from a wide range of religious leaders including Luis Palau, Rick Warren, several Catholic bishops, and Tom Peterson of Catholics Come Home.

bibleseriesresources.com/quotes

[/quote]

Yes but bear in mind they have not seen the series. They were simply shown some clips.
I hope the series is good but that would be a remarkable change for the History Channel which is anti-Christian in general and anti-Catholic in particular.

I tend to agree. I’ll believe the History Channel can produce a program on Christianity without a anti-Christian bias when I see it.

Haven't listened to it yet, but the show was discussed on Kresta in the Afternoon today. Here is the MP3. Looks like it is in the latter part of the hour.

Here's the description of that segment:**4:40 – “The Bible”: An Epic 10-Hour Mini-Series*
From Executive Producers Roma Downey and Mark Burnett comes The Bible — an epic 10-part miniseries retelling stories from the Scriptures for a whole new generation. Breathtaking in scope and scale, The Bible features powerful performances, exotic locales and dazzling visual effects that breathe spectacular life into the dramatic tales of faith and courage from Genesis through Revelation. It’s the “greatest story ever told” put to film. Mark and Roma join us.*

Glenn Beck had the series' producer today (Wednesday) on his radio show and it sounds like the guy is a very devout Christian. He pitched the series to the networks and they all rejected it (as one would expect).

As one who understands that the History Channel does not have a history of being pro-Christian, I'm interested in seeing how this pans out.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.