The bible isnt a book of science and history?!

What does that mean, specially the last one?

=fabio rocha;10634138]What does that mean, specially the last one?

I THINK I'M being quoted here:)

But that is NOT precisely what I said.

What I said was: that the bible is NEITHER a Science book or a History book.

Certainly it does recount a certain amount of history; but that in NOT its main goal or purpose.

The Bible is a Book of teaching Gods Mandates, Commands and Truths. And this recounting takes a great many forms.It is a book filled with many Objectively Moral truths.

The Bible intoduces us to our God and tells us how WE ARE to Know, Love, serve and OBEY Him. It expresses the reality of One God; having only One set of Faith beliefs [in both sections of the bible]; and just One "chosen people" in the OT; and only One chosen "church" [His catholic Church], in the NT.:)

[quote="PJM, post:2, topic:323363"]
I THINK I'M being quoted here:)

But that is NOT precisely what I said.

What I said was: that the bible is NEITHER a Science book or a History book.

Certainly it does recount a certain amount of history; but that in NOT its main goal or purpose.

The Bible is a Book of teaching Gods Mandates, Commands and Truths. And this recounting takes a great many forms.It is a book filled with many Objectively Moral truths.

The Bible intoduces us to our God and tells us how WE ARE to Know, Love, serve and OBEY Him. It expresses the reality of One God; having only One set of Faith beliefs [in both sections of the bible]; and just One "chosen people" in the OT; and only One chosen "church" [His catholic Church], in the NT.:)

[/quote]

Could not have said it better myself.

When we look to the Bible to answer scientific questions, we often get the wrong answer. This is the inverse of the other fact which is that when we look to science books to answer moral/theological questions we often get the wrong answer.

The Bible teachs how to go to heaven, not how the heavens go. :cool::slight_smile:

[quote="tabycat, post:4, topic:323363"]
The Bible teachs how to go to heaven, not how the heavens go. :cool::)

[/quote]

It's like a more advanced version of Aesop's fables. Just because tortoises and hares can't really race doesn't mean underestimating your opponent will not lead to real-life failure.

=CatholicGeek1;10634512]Could not have said it better myself.

When we look to the Bible to answer scientific questions, we often get the wrong answer. This is the inverse of the other fact which is that when we look to science books to answer moral/theological questions we often get the wrong answer.

awwww Shucks, THANKS!:D

You REALLY DO get it:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.