The Bible supports homosexuality?

I have a cousin who is truly convinced that the Bible, in a sense, supports homosexuality. I highly doubt that it does, but she says she's going to send me a list of supporting scripture via email to confirm her statement. Is there anywhere is the Bible that supports homosexuality or may lead others to believe so?

No. Scripture, Tradition, and the constant teaching of the Church all affirm that homosexual acts are intrinsically immoral. I'm just guessing, but your friend may be reading Jack Rogers' tortured eisegesis, Jesus, the Bible, and Homosexuality, Revised and Expanded Edition: Explode the Myths, Heal the Church

Maybe she is thinking of the verse that says "there is no longer any male or female...(Jew or Greek, etc.)" This is a verse that I often hear quoted out of context in support of homosexuality.

[quote="YosefYosep, post:1, topic:322008"]
I have a cousin who is truly convinced that the Bible, in a sense, supports homosexuality. I highly doubt that it does, but she says she's going to send me a list of supporting scripture via email to confirm her statement. Is there anywhere is the Bible that supports homosexuality or may lead others to believe so?

[/quote]

Your cousin obviously doesn't understand the agenda of those who concoct strange interpretations of the Bible.
When we obey the legitimate authority of the Church on faith and morals, we are obeying our Lord Jesus Christ.

God loves all His creatures, or else He would not have created them. The Bible never mentions homosexuality; it does, however, condemn homosexual acts.

The holy Apostle St. Paul clearly says in the 2nd chapter of the epistle to the Romans that one of the effects of paganism & unbelief is the sinful condition of men lusting after one another. The holy Scriptures are pretty emphatic about this, even by themselves. :)

[/quote]

Yosef,

with the Bible alone you can appear to have proof....

That there are no Sacraments only Ordinances
That you should baptize babies
That you should not baptize babies
That you should go to Church on Saturday
That the Protocanonicals are the word of God
That Jesus should be called Yeshua
That God should be called Jehovah
That birth control is Ok
That birth control is not Ok
That homosexuals can be fully Christian in their acting out their homosexuality
That homosexuals cannot be fully Christian in their acting out their homosexuality
That Baptism is necessary
That Baptism is not necessary
That you must be baptized in the Spirit and speak in tongues
That you do not have to be baptized in the Spirit and speak in tongues
That you must handle snakes
That you do not have to handle snakes

and more....:confused:

It's possible to interpret the Bible in a less condemnatory way, although probably not as being in 'support' of homosexuality.

For instance, the parts of the Bible that condemn homosexual behaviour speak about men and women who exchange wholesome desires for unwholesome and are condemned for doing such a thing.

It is possible to interpret it such that it's the exchange that is the wilful refusal to follow one's created nature and it is that refusal which is the sinful part. It would be a heterosexual woman deliberately acting in a homosexual way in rebellion to God. One could argue that a person who never felt anything other than homosexual desires would be rebelling against their nature if they were to try to act in a heterosexual manner.

Whether that holds water for every mention of same sex acts in the Bible, I don't know as I can't recall every single word of the Bible (although I must have read most, if not all of the Bible by now, I don't have an eidetic memory!) but certainly I recall St Paul speaking about the exchange of natural for unnatural lusts. It rather depends on how you interpret the scriptures as to how you come to the conclusion about whether they 'support' or 'condemn' certain things. The Bible is not, perhaps unfortunately, a rule book.

[quote="DexUK, post:7, topic:322008"]
It's possible to interpret the Bible in a less condemnatory way, although probably not as being in 'support' of homosexuality.

For instance, the parts of the Bible that condemn homosexual behaviour speak about men and women who exchange wholesome desires for unwholesome and are condemned for doing such a thing.

It is possible to interpret it such that it's the exchange that is the wilful refusal to follow one's created nature and it is that refusal which is the sinful part. It would be a heterosexual woman deliberately acting in a homosexual way in rebellion to God. One could argue that a person who never felt anything other than homosexual desires would be rebelling against their nature if they were to try to act in a heterosexual manner.

Whether that holds water for every mention of same sex acts in the Bible, I don't know as I can't recall every single word of the Bible (although I must have read most, if not all of the Bible by now, I don't have an eidetic memory!) but certainly I recall St Paul speaking about the exchange of natural for unnatural lusts. It rather depends on how you interpret the scriptures as to how you come to the conclusion about whether they 'support' or 'condemn' certain things. The Bible is not, perhaps unfortunately, a rule book.

[/quote]

Thanks be to the Lord that we have His authority on faith and morals given to us by the Magisterium of His Church! The Church gives us the guidelines we need to understand!

Catholics have a three-legged stool: Sacred Scripture, the Divinely appointed Magisterium, and Sacred Tradition. (Capital "T" Tradition!)

Sacred Scripture needs the other two!

[quote="DexUK, post:7, topic:322008"]

It is possible to interpret it such that it's the exchange that is the wilful refusal to follow one's created nature and it is that refusal which is the sinful part. It would be a heterosexual woman deliberately acting in a homosexual way in rebellion to God.

[/quote]

Dex,

One could argue that a person who never felt anything other than homosexual desires would be rebelling against their nature if they were to try to act in a heterosexual manner.

This argument fails as it begs the question that a homosexual is by nature a homosexual or the homosexual when born becomes a homosexual.

When is the homosexual by nature a homosexual?

At Birth?

Sometime after Birth?

The Bible teaches two people of same sex can't lie together for sexual purposes. So gay/lesbian relations are Perverse sins of very grave nature.

Whether it is at birth or later that same-sex attraction occurs (I am no expert), it remains that it is greviously sinful to engage in such actions.

I have heard testimonies of some with same-sex attraction that had acted on those attractions, and then finally responded to the grace of the Lord to be celibate. They are at peace and are serving Him. With God all things are possible!

Is it a struggle? I am sure it is. In fact, to rid ourselves of any vice, for example: selfishness, greed, lust, manipulating others for our own gain, etc., etc., is a struggle. But the grace of God can prevail if we allow Him to work in us.

[/quote]

Seen this from Dr. Taylor Marshall? I think it's deals with exactly this question brilliantly.

If you're still not convinced, this CDF document goes through the whole of Scripture and Tradition and shows where and how it is wrong.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.