The Bill Nobody Noticed: Forced National DNA databank On All Newborns

The Bill Nobody Noticed: Forced National DNA databank On All Newborns

naturalnews.com/025116.html

(NaturalNews) In April of 2008, President Bush signed into law S.1858 which allows the federal government to screen the DNA of all newborn babies in the U.S. This was to be implemented within 6 months meaning that this collection is now being carried out. Congressman Ron Paul states that this bill is the first step towards the establishment of a national DNA database.

S.1858, known as The Newborn Screening Saves Lives Act of 2007, is justified as a “national contingency plan” in that it represents preparation for any sort of public health emergency. The bill states that the federal government should “continue to carry out, coordinate, and expand research in newborn screening” and “maintain a central clearinghouse of current information on newborn screening… ensuring that the clearinghouse is available on the Internet and is updated at least quarterly”. Sections of the bill also make it clear that DNA may be used in genetic experiments and tests…

<more at link, including “Read The Full Bill”>

I had no idea.
Why wasn’t this issue covered in any media before any bill was passed? So much for citizenship representation.

Personally, I’m all for a national DNA database, so we can keep track of everyone, in case something horrible happens to a person and it’s needed to identify their remains, or in the case of someone with amnesia, so they can be positively identified and returned to their family. I just wish the authorities use it only for things like that.

[quote=DawnInTexas;4578415 The bill states that the federal government should “continue to carry out, coordinate, and expand research in newborn screening” and “maintain a central clearinghouse of current information on newborn screening… ensuring that the clearinghouse is available on the Internet and is updated at least quarterly”.
[/QUOTE]

Um… this is a national database on information from studies on DNA screening. not the DNA itself.
[/quote]

Neil I understand what your saying but:

I’m retired military so the government knows everything about me.

If they are not taking DNA itself only for screening but next time they will take DNA without consent and how could a new born say no. I see a big problem with this.

First it’s DNA what’s next?

I don’t smoke but I remember when as a little kid the government said all we want to do is put a little label on a pack of smokes. Now look some people want to ban smoking in peoples private homes!

Social Security Numbers was not to be used for Identification now look try to apply for anything without one.

Give the government an inch and they will take 100 miles.

Seriously, the government can have my DNA.

Consider this:

How many times do we have criminal cases in which there is DNA evidence but it takes a long time to find the suspect? How many times does the suspect harm or even murder more while the police try to figure out who the DNA matches?

I really have to wonder what exactly the government is going to do with DNA information other than use it to fight crime or identify people. Neither of those actions is a real problem.

Honestly, if a DNA library could help catch dangerous criminals faster, then I am for it.

If you consent that’s not a problem but what if they take your DNA without your permission? That is the problem I see.

What if they take your DNA and use it to make a clone of you? It could happen in the future.

In Germany in the eighties the police could draw your blood by force for DWI or PI.

Thank God I was born in America where I can say no you can’t take my blood without my permission.

What’s next our police forcing us to give up our blood or DNA?

All I’m saying is don’t give the government that power they already have too much power as it is.

To me it’s taking away more of our civil rights, and no I’m not one of those conspiracy people.

Ok it’s Christmas Eve and I’m messing around on these boards but I really don’t have anything to do until midnight Mass.

Merry Christmas—Stan.

Well, the government is empowered to do a great many things which may be against someone’s will from time to time. The question is if it is for the benefit of our society to allow them such a power.

DNA profiling allows for the capture of criminals. It seems highly unlikely that any human cloning will be resulting from it.

I suspect that if you had a loved one threatened by a serial killer, then you would want the police to use DNA to find that criminal.

And yes Merry Christmas.

As with all things modern, this can be a blessing or a curse. I have no faith in man that this won’t be used in the future against our inherent human dignity. I find it very disturbing.

I just thought I’d throw this in there ‘cause I thought about as I was reading this article. I saw a special a while back on Discovery or The Learning Channel about people born chimeras or something like that. A person originally had a twin (fraternal, I think) in utero but some how that other twin doesn’t make it and gets absorbed into the living twin. The living twin now has organs or other body parts from that other twin with different DNA. The person has two types of DNA in their bodies. The show featured a court case where a mothers’ who were chimeras were going through heartbreak trying to prove to the courts how their DNA tests were wrong. I can’t imagine what these mothers were going through trying to prove their innocence.

Here’s a story about it. This special is a lot older than I thought so some of you may have seen it already.

abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=2315693

What if they take your DNA and use it to make a clone of you? It could happen in the future.

In Germany in the eighties the police could draw your blood by force for DWI or PI.

Thank God I was born in America where I can say no you can’t take my blood without my permission.

What’s next our police forcing us to give up our blood or DNA?

All I’m saying is don’t give the government that power they already have too much power as it is.

To me it’s taking away more of our civil rights, and no I’m not one of those conspiracy people.
[/size]

A little paranoid, aren’t we? Actually, from a law enforcement point of view there are hundreds of reasons why it would be a good idea, not least of which would be kidnapped children, recovered bodies with no ID, etc…

If one isn’t doing anything wrong, one doesn’t have anything to worry about.

FIRST TEAM! HOOAH! :thumbsup:

To each his own. Let’s see if you both feel the same way when your child or grandchild is kidnapped, assaulted and then murdered and the body cannot be identified because there is no way to link the DNA and they can’t prosecute the suspect because there was no DNA database. I think you both are worrying about things that are not going to happen in our lifetime or any other. I also think you are over estimating the science available to do what you are IMAGINING will happen.

If, if, if, that’s what a cop told me few years ago when I ran a stop sign. What if a car was coming? If a car was coming I would have stopped.

All I know I had six relatives murdered in Auschwitz by a government with too much power. This happened before I was born. You don’t think things like that could happen here?

I remember in Chicago a lady yelled at and said what she thought to President Clinton, later on that night the Secret Service busted down her front door with local police and hauled her and her husband off to jail. Yeah they were released but the government had no right to do that.

What about Mayor Nagin and Police Chief Riley of New Orleans, LA in the travesty that occurred in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina… (If you’ve forgotten how the Second Amendment was trampled upon following Hurricane Katrina, law abiding citizens their guns taken away and some hauled off to jail for owning a gun! Or if you have friends or family members who still naively believe “it can’t happen here” well it can and did.

You ask about “what if” well these last two examples are not “if’s” I didn’t imagine them it happened by government officials using power thay didn’t have.

So no to taking DNA without permission I don’t trust all these government officials. I think you’re over estimating the trust you have in government.

I will not give up mine or my children’s liberty and civil rights that easily.

I understand what you are saying - I myself have three children. But I also understand that using fear to usher change is a sure sign that something doesn’t “smell” right.

IMHO this has little to do with crime and safety.

Just another move on the part of Big Government to ensure further control over its citizens. This bill was passed in the stealth of night just like the Patriot Act, the MCA and NDAA.

Here’s what Ron Paul, a TRUE Constitutionalist had to say about this bill:

"I cannot support legislation, no matter how much I sympathize with the legislation’s stated goals, that exceed the Constitutional limitations on federal power or in any way threatens the liberty of the American people. Since S. 1858 violates the Constitution, and may have untended consequences that will weaken the American health care system and further erode medical privacy, I must oppose it."

Paul, a medical doctor himself continued, “S. 1858 gives the federal bureaucracy the authority to develop a model newborn screening program. Madame Speaker the federal government lacks both the constitutional authority and the competence to develop a newborn screening program adequate for a nation as large and diverse as the United States. …”

“Those of us in the medical profession should be particularly concerned about policies allowing government officials and state-favored interests to access our medical records without our consent … My review of S. 1858 indicates the drafters of the legislation made no effort to ensure these newborn screening programs do not violate the privacy rights of parents and children,” Paul continued.

“In fact, by directing federal bureaucrats to create a contingency plan for newborn screening in the event of a ‘public health’ disaster, this bill may lead to further erosions of medical privacy. As recent history so eloquently illustrates, politicians are more than willing to take, and people are more than willing to cede, liberty during times of 'emergency,” he concluded.

Ben Franklin’s answer to this:

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

I agree! God bless Ron Paul

I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with this. In fact, I think law enforcement should be allowed to take a DNA sample of everyone they arrest, just as they do fingerprints.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.