The Birth of Christ in the Quran

Greetings .
Today ,I’ll be showing you an extract from the Quran dealing with the annunciation and the birth of Jesus the Messiah ( “المسيح عيسى ابن مريم” = "Almasih Isa ibn Maryam ) and how an Angel appeared to his Mother Mary .
This verses are from the “Chapter of Mary” (“سورة مريم” = suratu Maryam )

بســـــم الله الرحــــــمن الرحــــــيم
In the Name of God , the most Beneficent , the most Merciful

16 And mention Mary in the Book. When she drew aside from her family to an eastern place;
17 So she screened herself from them. Then We sent to her Our spirit and it appeared to her as a well made man.
18 She said: I flee for refuge from thee to the Beneficent, if thou art one guarding against evil.
19 He said: I am only bearer of a message of thy Lord: That I will give thee a pure boy.
20 She said: How can I have a son and no mortal has yet touched me, nor have I been unchaste?
21 He said: So (it will be). Thy Lord says: It is easy to Me; and that We may make him a sign to men and a mercy from Us. And it is a matter decreed.
22 Then she conceived him; and withdrew with him to a remote place.
23 And the throes of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a palm tree. She said: Oh, would that I had died before this, and had been a thing quite forgotten!
24 So a voice came to her from beneath her: Grieve not, surely thy Lord has provided a stream beneath thee.
25 And shake towards thee the trunk of the palm-tree, it will drop on thee fresh ripe dates.
26 So eat and drink and cool the eye. Then if thou seest any mortal, say: Surely I have vowed a fast to the Beneficent, so I will not speak to any man to-day.
27 Then she came to her people with him, carrying him. They said: O Mary, thou hast indeed brought a strange thing!
28 O sister of Aaron, thy father was not a wicked man, nor was thy mother an unchaste woman!
29 But she pointed to him. They said: How should we speak to one who is a child in the cradle?
30 He said: I am indeed a servant of Allah. He has given me the Book and made me a prophet:
31 And He has made me blessed wherever I may be, and He has enjoined on me prayer and poor-rate so long as I live.
32 And to be kind to my mother; and He has not made me insolent, unblessed.
33 And peace on me the day I was born, and the day I die, and the day I am raised to life.

On my phone and have five minutes till I need to be at work but I’ll say this quickly and someone else I’m sure can expand on it.

This story is clearly a plagiarized version of the exact same story that was made up centuries after the death of Christ. This story was invented (as well as Jesus making birds out of clay) to give more information on Jesus’ youth.

I love that God allowed Muhammad to put these stories in the Quran to show that it’s not from Him. Muhammad got his stories mixed up and accidentally added a false one from a later time!

Thank you for the information. It is difficult to determine legitimate sources for discussion, and what’s worse, my knowledge of the Koran is admittedly zero. This next link seems to attempt to prove the divinity of Jesus through the Koran. Would you care to comment on it? My intent is to try to put everything in context so we can understand basic points.

ecclesia.org/truth/koran.html

Thanks again.

what is the intent of the original post?

what am I missing?

Arabic and Greek aren’t even interchangeable either. :shrug:

MJ

I think he just wanted to show what the Quran says about Mary and the birth of Jesus. :shrug:

How do you know that this to be true since the Quran was written about six hundred years after Christ as contrast to the Gospels which was written about the same time as Christ?

I think Arabic is beautiful in writing. I don’t speak or read Arabic, but it is very
pretty. There are other languages in the East that are beautiful the way they are
written.
Does anyone know if Arabic is read left to right like Hebrew?

What reason can you provide to believe the Quran’s “version” of the Annunciation over that in Luke’s gospel?

Unfortunately for Arabic, it isn’t going to describe the meaning of Christ which is Greek. Since the Quran is Arabic then Christ doesn’t make sense. Beauty is external. Christ is Eternal.

MJ

Would that mean the Torah not written in Hebrew would not make sense?

The Torah is a different proposition all together. Jesus “Christ” is not mentioned in the Torah as any Jew will tell us; Jesus is not the Christ;he is nothing to Judaism.

But the Quran accepts Jesus as Almasih. Son of Mary. He’s a Messiah of some sort (Word of God) but that is a very poor and incomplete understanding of Jesus Christ with no follow up and no tracing of the teachings of Jesus Christ. The Almasih is not the Jesus The Eternal Son (the only Begotten) of the Living God when it comes to the Quran.

MJ

but aren’t there some parts of the Torah that point to Christ?

IMO the Koranic “Isa” is a different Jesus than the one depicted in the Gospels. He’s basically a uncrucified, talking baby and slave of Islam’s Allah. His role of Messiah and the “Injeel” or Gospel message was only for the Jews, not the whole world. And in their theology Isa comes back to this world to break crosses and kill pigs…to show the world and especially us mislead Christians, that Jesus was badly misquoted.

I believe our letters are formed from the Arabic, can’t be sure.

I think our man left the stage.

That is why I posted random thoughts. The poster has not returned to make his/her
point.

Hi 7 Sorrows. I have taught at two schools which teach Arabic and they read from right to left.

Some young children have troubles if they then have to switch to reading English from left to right.

thank you abucs. I realize I made a mistake in my post because I meant to say right to left like Hebrew. I would think it would be hard to switch.

I wonder when reading and writing left to
right was developed.

language and alphabets and written language
interest me.

This is basically the exact same narrative as the Infancy Gospel of Thomas, a New Testament apocrypha work which most scholars believe was written in the early 3rd century. Islam basically is Gnosticism or more accurately, Manichaeism. Mani and Muhammad both claimed to be the paraclete spoken of in the New Testament, and both heavily used Gnostic beliefs . The only difference is Manichaeism seems to have been more influenced by Zoroastrianism and ancient Iranian beliefs with the concept of Dualism in their beliefs. Islam doesn’t really believe in that concept at all. But if you study the lives of Mani and Muhammad, you begin to realize both were false prophets. Manichaeism was very popular in the 3rd-7th centuries, even being a rival to Christianity. Saint Augustine of Hippo was a famous convert from these beliefs and spoke out against them in his “Confessions”. It died out mainly because of persecution in the west but held on much longer in the east. Ironically during the expansion of Islam, many prominent Imams actually embraced Manichaeism and became apostates to Islam. This is a fact although not many Muslims would acknowledge it today. But back to Islam, I respect it but the adherents were lied too. Muhammad didn’t have any revelations, he simply grew up in an area that was known to be where heretics were exiled. Thus the Quran being almost parallel to Gnostic teachings doesn’t seem to be a coincidence. Actually even the teaching in Islam that Christ didn’t actually die on the cross was a teaching in certain Gnostic sects. It’s almost like the Church stamped these heresies out, contended with Manichaeism, finally deposed that, and then the adversary through Muhammad and Islam at us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.