The Blessed Mother

Someone i know has recently asked me a few questions regarding the Catholic relgion (i’ve been raised a catholic and was somewhat emberrased that i couldn’t explain a few questions=). One of them concerning the Blessed Mother.Here’s what i was asked : “Catholics believe that Mary was sinless…the Bible doesn’t say that anywhere, and she even refers to Jesus as her savior. If she was sinless then why would she need a savior? The Bible also says that there is only one mediator between God and man and that is Jesus Christ (1 TImonthy 2:5). But the Catholic Church teaches that you can pray to Mary who will intercede on your behalf.” Anyone who as suggestions, ideas or comments on how to explain this would be a great help…i have to admit that i’m stuck. Thank-you!

Read Scott Hahn’s “Hail, Holy Queen”

It’s quite short, shouldn’t take long to read. I’ll bring it with me tomorrow to quote from it.

Mary prays to her Son Jesus, they are trying to catch you up and confuse you.:wink:

Mary’s sinlessness not in the Bible they say?? Au contrair.

In Gen. 3:15 (woohoo!) God puts the same enmity between Jesus (the seed) and evil and between Mary (the woman)and evil. Since we know Jesus never sinned, we can say that it’s total and perfect enmity. Since Mary has this same perfect enmity between herself and evil, it follows that she also did not sin. :thumbsup:

Mary doesn’t intercede?? Why this is Biblical as well.
Check out the part about the wedding feast at Cana (John 2). Jesus says it is not His time, yet He performs His first miracle at the request of His Mom. This is great too because He calls her “woman” just like the Genesis prophecy above.:thumbsup:

There may only be one mediator between man and God (Jesus), but there can be mediators between man and Jesus. Ask your friend if he has ever asked someone to pray for him. That person is a mediator. St. Paul says we should pray for one another(1 Tim. 2:1–4) and James declares: “The prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects.”(Jas. 5:16–18). And there isn’t any mere human more righteous than the mother of Jesus.:thumbsup:

Thanks to you both…now i need to go home and do some reading in the bible at these scriptures =)

Hail Mary, full of Grace, the Lord is with thee:

“Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.” (Luke 1:28)

Blessed art thou amoung women and blessed is the fruit of they womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God,

“Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?” (Luke 1:42-43)

Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

“Pray one for another, that you may be saved. For the continual prayer of a just man availeth much.” (James 5:16)

Just in case they say the Hail Mary is not in the Bible.

Mary - the Immaculate Ark of the New Covenant

Exodus 25:11-21 - the ark of the Old Covenant was made of the purest gold for God’s Word. Mary is the ark of the New Covenant and is the purest vessel for the Word of God made flesh.

2 Sam. 6:7 - the Ark is so holy and pure that when Uzzah touched it, the Lord slew him. This shows us that the Ark is undefiled. Mary the Ark of the New Covenant is even more immaculate and undefiled, spared by God from original sin so that she could bear His eternal Word in her womb.

1 Chron. 13:9-10 - this is another account of Uzzah and the Ark. For God to dwell within Mary the Ark, Mary had to be conceived without sin. For Protestants to argue otherwise would be to say that God would let the finger of Satan touch His Son made flesh. This is incomprehensible.

1 Chron. 15 and 16 - these verses show the awesome reverence the Jews had for the Ark - veneration, vestments, songs, harps, lyres, cymbals, trumpets.

Luke 1:39 / 2 Sam. 6:2 - Luke’s conspicuous comparison’s between Mary and the Ark described by Samuel underscores the reality of Mary as the undefiled and immaculate Ark of the New Covenant. In these verses, Mary (the Ark) arose and went / David arose and went to the Ark. There is a clear parallel between the Ark of the Old and the Ark of the New Covenant.

Luke 1:41 / 2 Sam. 6:16 - John the Baptist / King David leap for joy before Mary / Ark. So should we leap for joy before Mary the immaculate Ark of the Word made flesh.:blessyou:

If there is only one mediator - why do they bother asking their pastor to pray for them?
Or their friends and family members to pray for them?

In that sense - none of us should be praying for each other right?
Everyone should just be praying directly to Jesus right?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.