The Blessed Sacrament on Video

Greetings my beloved sibblings in Christ,

First of all, I apologise if I posted this in the wrong category.

I was just wondering, and this is probably a stupid question(s) but you know how you watch tv and you see a celebrity and you’re like “Look at that celebrity being all celebrity’ish” even though technically the footage being run is not in real time. Well, I watch EWTN who has been putting the Benediction and Devotion on YouTube and so I was wondering:

1. Is that still really Jesus Christ even though it’s not in real time?
  2. Is it okay if I watch the same video over again, or does that some how diminish the fact that it’s Jesus.

I want to know because I want to visit with Jesus at like 2am , 3am, etc and the Church isn’t exactly open during those hours. I know that Jesus is always present wherever we are but it’s just different before the Blessed Sacrament, its more intimate.

Peace be with you,

Nicole

Watching the videos of Benediction is like looking at a picture of Jesus. The picture is just an image not the real thing. However, I do not see anything wrong with viewing the video over and over. The people in the video are looking at the Real Presence. You could adore Jesus in spirit by mentally placing yourself in that church or in your own church or any place where Jesus is truly present in the Blessed Sacrament. That is where you want to be- not worshiping the TV screen.

Thank you for your response!

You addressed my unspoken fear of accidentally commiting idolatry. I’m so thankful I waited for a response before I watched the video. Thank you so, so very much!

God bless you!

You cannot accidentally commit any type of mortal sin.

That’s right: Looking at a picture/video of a consecrated host is the same thing as looking at a picture/video of God (if that was possible).

So wait, if I am committing a sin that would normally be a mortal sin only I’m not really completely aware whether or not it is a sin, I then commit venial sin?

Because I kinda thought I would be a committing a sin though clearly I didn’t understand fully what it was, but doesn’t that partial recognition that it could be a sin and had I gone ahead without waiting to if it in fact was mean that I would commit a mortal sin, since I’m atleast partially aware though I don’t understand?

Sins are rated as Grave or Minor; Mortal vs Venial is a matter of culpability, not the nature of the sin.

If you knowingly and willfully commit a grave sin, it is a mortal rent upon the soul. If it is done either unknowingly, or is done under compulsion, it is still a grave sin, but the soul is less damaged by it, and is merely venial.

But all sin, willful or not, is still sin.

Well, the clears up my confusion beyond a single doubt. Thank you :thumbsup:

You’re welcome.

Just remember, the obligation (as stated in the Code of Canon Law) is to confess all grave sins.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.