The Blood of Christ

Once the congregation has consumed the Blood of Christ, does the priest need to consume what is left or is it acceptable for the lay ministers to consume the rest?

The priest in the EF consumes all the contents of the chalice prior to distribution of communion. After distribution the priest adds water to the chalice to mix with any drops of Precious Blood that may be remaining. He consumes that mixture and cleanses the chalice. I do not know what the OF rubrics are at this time but it seems to vary from priest to priest.

According to the General Instructions (284, a and b), if there is no deacon present, a “a duly institued acolyte or another extraordinary minister of Holy communion, or aby a member of the faithful” may consume the remaining Precious Blood.

What you state is not correct. Your reference to a member of the faithful is misleading. It means any member of the faithful may choose to receive Communion under one species only. That has nothing to do with consuming what remains of the Blood of Christ after everyone has received Communion.

1. When Communion is distributed under both kinds,

a. The chalice is usually administered by a deacon or, when no deacon is present, by a
priest, or even by a duly instituted acolyte or another extraordinary minister of Holy
Communion, or by a member of the faithful who in case of necessity has been
entrusted with this duty for a single occasion;

b. Whatever may remain of the Blood of Christ is consumed at the altar by the priest or
the deacon or the duly instituted acolyte who ministered the chalice. The same then
purifies, wipes, and arranges the sacred vessels in the usual way.

Any of the faithful who wish to receive Holy Communion under the species of bread alone
should be granted their wish.

I think I extrapolated when I shouldn’t have.

I stand corrected.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.