The Bloody Bible

Is this the God we know who loves us?

home.inu.net/skeptic/bloody.html

Dear Sir.

What do you think? What do you think of how death entered the world in the first place, as far as the Bible is concerned?

Does not death remind us of the sin burden which we carry?

And, do not the many deaths in the Bible show the injustice of men taking lives which belong only to God? Doesn’t the sparing of Isaac mean anything? How does it fit in with Louis Cable’s thesis?

According to Cable, then, no one should die, in the Bible or elsewhere. So, in one sense, he is committing something like the sin of Cain, in being angry with God, a sin of pride.

Moved from the Sacred Scripture to the Apologetics forum.

Mane Nobiscum Domine,
Ferdinand Mary

What’s your point Sirach?

I am not sure how to approach the question.
If one has read the Bible, none of the quotes are a surprise.
The real issue would then be the authors interpretation or spin on these verses…and that would take a very long time. Suffice to say, God’s law had its reason…and that reason finds fulfillment in the sacrifice of Christ. Like I said, no surprises at all if you have read the Book.
BrianH

This type of spin is made possible only by the fundamentalist attitude that every single word of the Bible must be taken to mean literally exactly what it says. Where the article complains about Jesus advocating castration, he is actually advocating celebacy. The “if your eye offends you” teaching is hyperbole. They’re freakin’ figures of speech!!! As for the Old Testament quotes, show me any country with 1,000 years of history that has had no wars, no atrocities, and no madmen in control, and then I’ll listen to babble like this.

Forthright I completely agree. :thumbsup:

[quote=forthright]This type of spin is made possible only by the fundamentalist attitude that every single word of the Bible must be taken to mean literally exactly what it says. Where the article complains about Jesus advocating castration, he is actually advocating celebacy. The “if your eye offends you” teaching is hyperbole. They’re freakin’ figures of speech!!! As for the Old Testament quotes, show me any country with 1,000 years of history that has had no wars, no atrocities, and no madmen in control, and then I’ll listen to babble like this.
[/quote]

The trouble is is that God in the OT is the author of these atrocities. He tells his soldiers to kill their enemies, men, women, and children.
I have a friend that will have nothing to do with the Bible, or God because of these incidents.

[quote=Church Militant]What’s your point Sirach?
[/quote]

This may interest you.

catholicintl.com/qa/2005/qa-dec-05.htm#Question%2038

Scroll down to question 39

[quote=Sirach14]The trouble is is that God in the OT is the author of these atrocities. He tells his soldiers to kill their enemies, men, women, and children.
I have a friend that will have nothing to do with the Bible, or God because of these incidents.
[/quote]

God can see far into the future. I have always believed that ancient Caananite culture must have been so horrific that it had to be wiped out. I remember reading about one of the Gods of the Caanite culture named Molech. His followers burned their children alive for him. Perhaps God saw that such a culture would influence future generations and without its total annhilation then we might be, today, consider burning one of children alive as a worthwhile act. I would think that God would not condemn the children to hell, perhaps even death was preferable to living and growing up in such an atmosphere.

[quote=Sirach14]The trouble is is that God in the OT is the author of these atrocities. He tells his soldiers to kill their enemies, men, women, and children.
[/quote]

Sirach,

Tell your friend to read the NT. The OT is not only found in the Bible but also the Torah and the Quran.

The OT was in a different time, era, beliefs and customs. God, who sent his only son Jesus to preach and be a fisher of men, spread the word of God. It was all about love - of yourself, your God, you neighbours and your ENEMIES - this is completely contrary to the ‘Author of… atrocities’ in the OT.

Did not Jesus come and add to the law of Moses. Matthew 5:38-48

“(38) You have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth. (39) but I say to you not to resist evil…”

God is a Merciful but just God. God is loving and eternal, God is Divine, powerful and almighty.

Holy God, Holy Mighty one, Holy immortal one. Have mercy on us and on the whole world

God Bless,

Anthony

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.