The Book of Mormon Musical

I don't know if anyone has heard about this, but the makers of South Park have created a new Broadway musical called "The Book of Mormon". I was wondering what your thoughts were on this.

I have not heard anything about it. Although I do not agree with the Book of Morman I also do not think South Park should be making any kind of show about it. I would not appreciate it if they make something about the Bible or the catholic church.
South Park is South Park...it may be good for a little laugh but I feel it will insult many many people...I don't know about this...

The creators of “South Park” create very sick work… Under the first amendment they have the right to do so… However, it is still sick… They have mocked almost every major religion in the world.

While I haven’t see this musical, nor do I want too, I’m sure it is very offencive.

Though I don't typically watch South Park, I did see the episode about the history of the Mormons and Joseph Smith. It did a good job of educating how the story came to be, although they put it in a way to trivialize the beliefs (ultimately making it seem like a giant scam).

I do not agree with the beliefs of Mormons, but still feel religion should be respected. It is one thing to put it on their TV show known for being trashy and offensive. But to make a Broadway play seems too far...

Here is a song from the musical youtube.com/watch?v=vA1IMSRN2Xk. I have to admit I did chuckle, but I don’t think a Mormon would appreciate this.

I got involved with the Mormon Church, and even joined it,
very briefly in 1987/1988. They are very sweet, lovely people and I respect
them very much. Of course, I do not agree with some of the doctrines
of the LDS religion.
That being admitted,
I am deeply offended by the idea of a Broadway show like THE BOOK OF MORMON.
People’s religious beliefs are very sacred things, deeply bound up with their consciences and not to be disrespectfully toyed-with. I don’t like the idea of a satirical attack
on the Mormon faith one bit, and I would hope that people would
boycott this show. ESPECIALLY since it comes from the creators of SOUTH PARK.

Jaypeeto4

It's one thing to disagree with the tenets of a religion and even argue passionately against it; it's another thing to mock it and the people who practice it.

We live in a very snarky age, where the automatic and instinctive reaction to sincerely held belief is to snicker and mock it. This is a roadblock to critical thinking.

With respect to Mormonism, I think the conversation is better focused on what the distinctive doctrines are and whether they can be supported historically, versus making fun of their underwear, or their clean living and family values, or their missionary work, or their former polygamist practices, and whatever else they get mocked for.

Why isn't it relativism to say we have to respect others' religious beliefs no matter how risible? Certainly a lot of posters here feel free to demonise each other based on their political beliefs.

Yes, I'm sure Mormons are lovely, sincere people but I'm sure many Wiccans, atheists and Muslims are as well.

As for the show, hmmm. No, it's not nice to make fun of somebody else's faith BUT their beliefs pretty much beg to be mocked and they put themselves out there knocking on your door trying bring you over to their side.

I guess it’s different when it is Catholic priests and missionaries from Spain and other parts of Europe going on ships overseas and working on converting the natives, right?

I don’t know about you, but I have seen a lot of talk about why Wicca, atheism, and Islam are wrong, and sometimes misguide people, but not specifically against these people.

Look, I agree that a lot of their teachings are things I find to be a bit different from what we know of Christ. However, let’s focus on education instead of humiliation.

From what I understand the show isn’t that offensive and has actually received a positive response from many Mormons.

Here is the church’s official statement:

newsroom.lds.org/article/church-statement-regarding-the-book-of-mormon-broadway-musical

Here is another take on it:

usatoday.com/news/religion/2011-03-18-Mormon_Broadway_17_ST_N.htm

I have yet to see it, but from what I understand this show has been very well-received by critics as well as the average joe.

Well I wouldn’t really use the official statement to support it is okay - all the statement says is that the play seeks to entertain people, but the actual scripture The Book of Mormon will educate people about Christ.

As for the USA Today article, several mormons said it wasn’t as offensive as they thought it would be, and they thought of it as ‘playful teasing.’ USA Today called it ‘bawdy and irreverent’. The response by the Mormons may make it seem alright, but a link in the first article describes that they often choose not to respond to attacks, and ignore criticisms so as not to keep themselves in the news.

[quote="Mumbles140, post:11, topic:251047"]
Well I wouldn't really use the official statement to support it is okay - all the statement says is that the play seeks to entertain people, but the actual scripture The Book of Mormon will educate people about Christ.

As for the USA Today article, several mormons said it wasn't as offensive as they thought it would be, and they thought of it as 'playful teasing.' USA Today called it 'bawdy and irreverent'. The response by the Mormons may make it seem alright, but a link in the first article describes that they often choose not to respond to attacks, and ignore criticisms so as not to keep themselves in the news.

[/quote]

I guess I really need to see it myself before I actually judge it. That being said, I don't have a problem with anything Sout Park or Parker/Stone have done.

[quote="freethinker83, post:12, topic:251047"]
I guess I really need to see it myself before I actually judge it. That being said, I don't have a problem with anything Sout Park or Parker/Stone have done.

[/quote]

Agreed, and that's the point where we differ. I feel that just because every group is targeted on the show doesn't mean it isn't offensive to a specific group when they are targeted.

[quote="Mumbles140, post:13, topic:251047"]
Agreed, and that's the point where we differ. I feel that just because every group is targeted on the show doesn't mean it isn't offensive to a specific group when they are targeted.

[/quote]

I agree, I'm sure it does offend many people. That is a consequence of free speech.

Absolutely - I just find it in poor taste to make a profit off of it by presenting it so brazenly as a Broadway play. But I guess if people don't like it they don't have to pay to see it, just like they can change the channel on TV.

I think Matt & Trey are geniuses. They are actually some of the few individuals in the media who aren't afraid to actually defy political correctness that only applies to certain select groups. They actually take the time to make sure their satire is based in truth rather than mindless sterotypes. They love Mormons. Often humor is best when it revolves around something close to those it comes from. People who dismiss them as mean spirited usually aren't familiar with their work.

Before anyone just accuses them of hating religion period, it might be interesting to know that the group they most enjoy mocking is atheists. Here is a quote from Trey about religion that might explain where they are coming from:

"Basically ... out of all the ridiculous religion stories which are greatly, wonderfully ridiculous—the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah ... there's this big giant universe and it's expanding, it's all gonna collapse on itself and we're all just here just 'cause ... just 'cause'. That, to me, is the most ridiculous explanation ever."

I guess I could get all offended by the story if I wanted to. After all, my parents have given up 2 years of their lives to be missionaries in the Congo. I read their emails, and I'm convinced they are doing God's work, bringing knowledge of Jesus to the people, and they are doing a lot of charitable work as well.

[quote="JoArtist, post:5, topic:251047"]
Here is a song from the musical youtube.com/watch?v=vA1IMSRN2Xk. I have to admit I did chuckle, but I don't think a Mormon would appreciate this.

[/quote]

I'd be surprised if I don't think it's funny. I'm a long way from New York, but my wife and I did laugh at the South Park stuff on Mormons, and got another huge laugh just out of the wikipedia description of the Book of Mormon show. The idea of a young missionary not knowing the LDS doctrine very well is actually plausible, and the idea of him filling in the gaps from Star Wars and Lord of the Rings is positively hilarious.

Of course Parker and Stone aren't terribly accurate with respect to the LDS church, and yet they are orders of magnitude more accurate than any other media protrayal, such as Big Love. You'll get more correct ideas about the LDS theology, and fewer false representations, in 25 minutes of South Park than in five whole seasons of Big Love. :mad:

It's sad (but a little funny too) that Trey Parker and Matt Stone end up being the closest things we have to friends in the media. They've even expressed puzzlement as to why Mormons treat them so well when they come to Utah -- actually treat them better than any other audience. The reason is that they are the only big talking heads that aren't telling people to hate and fear us, and that aren't trying to depict us as non-Christian.

How can we not appreciate that? With enemies like these, who needs friends?

[sees the video]

"I believe that in 1978 God changed his mind about black people"

Oh ...:eek: :whacky::rotfl: :D :clapping:

On the contrary, I think that a non-mormon can't possibly appreciate just how funny that was. Ouch. I literally hurt my gut laughing.

Just wanted to add -- my praise of Stone and Parker isn't unqualified ... I'm actually a bit disgusted with how they've treated the Catholic church, and particularly with how they depict Catholic clergy. :mad: Now that's some unjust fearmongering, and I didn't find if funny, either.

im sorry but this may sound a little bit jesus freak, but does anyone think that watching south park could be a sin? im just wondering because there is alot of humor at the expense of other people, they have said some pretty cruel things, let me know because im not sure what to think

I live in a (fairly) large LDS area, had a lot of LDS friends growing up and, until recently, the owner of the company I work for was LDS, so I also work with a lot of them too.

I laughed SO hard when I saw the Tonys, I cried!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.