The book that claims Jesus had a wife and kids — and the embattled author behind it

The authors want to talk about Christ. They want you to know that, buried beneath centuries of misinformation and conspiracy, Jesus had a secret wife, named Mary Magdalene, and he fathered two children with her. And they want you to know that their book on the matter, named the “Lost Gospel,” is on sale soon for $21.74. “If true,” reported the Daily Mail in an overheated dispatch, “this would make it the greatest revelation into the life of Jesus in nearly 2,000 years.”

Indeed. If true. But is this just the latest theory of an embattled theologian?

Rekindling one of the Jesus Christs’s greatest mysteries, a la “The Da Vinci Code,” the new book draws from a 1,500-year-old Aramaic-language manuscript found inside the British Library. There, the authors say, the secrets of Jesus’s family life have been in plain sight for more than a century.

“What the Vatican feared — and what “Da Vinci Code” author] Dan Brown only suspected — has come true,” begins the book, authored by York University (Canada) professor Barrie Wilson and documentarian Simcha Jacobovici.

washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/11/10/the-book-that-claims-jesus-had-a-wife-and-kids-and-the-controversial-author-behind-it/

Silliness, I didn’t even bother to read the news article.

People give Dan Brown too much credit. He borrowed heavily from Holy Blook Holy Grail. That book was shown to be mostly fiction even though it was marketed as non-fiction.

LOL, a 1,500 year old manuscript still is written 500 years after the time of Christ.

That’s approximately as credible as ME writing a book about Ponce De Leon today and historians finding it in 1,500 years and declaring it to be more reliable than conventional history on the matter.

Pure drivel.

Exactly. May as well just take the Jefferson Bible or Tolstoy’s Gospel in Brief as more historically accurate than the Gospels.

I think all of this mess is hogwash. BUT would it change anything if it were true? Why would it be ground breaking if He really did get married and have kids. Nothing sinful in that. :shrug: I haven’t thought long about this, but if it did happen I don’t think it would change my views on Him or Christianity as a whole.

I guess enough years have passed since “The Da Vinci Code” came out that they feel another book in that vein will find an audience. :shrug:

You know people find that stuff to be true and unfortunately many will eave God because of this.

What will be next? :rolleyes:

The Da Vinci Code was released in theaters about 10 years ago.

I was intrigued seeing something about this on Facebook, but then I remembered this kind of ideologically-driven historical revisionism is as old as the hills. :yawn: Heck, the guy who wrote this book was accused of committing an archaeological hoax in 2002!

These sacriligious folks are insufferable. No cockeyed crock is too wild that some fools will not buy it. :smiley:

It is very related to the same reason there can be no female priests. Christ is the Bridegroom of the Church, just as a female cannot be a Bridegroom, neither can an already married man in the most sacramentally legit marriage one could ever imagine no less, take another Bride. There are other sources on this out there. I would suggest googling or yahooing. Not being facetious or offputting here just a bit busy tonight -chuckles-.

If you haven’t read the article you really need to. We had a good laugh over it earlier.

They claim the meaning of the text had been shrouded in code and “embedded meaning.” It speaks of a figure named Joseph, who apparently bore striking similarities to Jesus. He was depicted as “savior-figure,” the book said. “Joseph, like Jesus, was assumed dead and turned up alive; he too had humble beginnings and ended up a king of sorts.” So they contend Joseph was really Jesus in the text.

And this Joseph, they said, had a wife named Aseneth, whom they purport represented Mary Magdalene. “Put simply, in order to convey the stature of Aseneth — perhaps Mary the Magdalene — to his audience, the unknown author of our manuscript selected a dominant image … he could be sure his readers would readily understand.”

So Joe goes missing for a while. People including his wife, Aseneth, think he’s dead, Then he comes back. I think Joe sounds more like Han Solo than Jesus.

The character in the book that people say is Jesus is named Joe, and the lady he is married to is not named Mary…

It is a bit of a stretch to even say that the book claims that Jesus had a wife and kids with that in mind.

He probably did.

Just not THAT Jesus.

(I only capitalized “he” because it started a sentence).

If you keep reading to paragraph 10:

The book’s purported findings, however, tell only part of the story. Jacobovici, widely known in the theological community, has already come under criticism for pursuing theories of early Christianity that many scholars have dismissed. The controversy is a subplot to the grander drama surrounding the study of Jesus’s life, illustrating the tug-and-pull between popular interest, entrenched doctrine, the potential for big payouts and the limits of academic inquiry.

In 2002, Jacobovici, a Canadian filmmaker who studies biblical archaeology, pushed out a documentary that hailed a seemingly pivotal relic called the James ossuary, which allegedly showed that Jesus had a family. Time reported it was later named one of the top 10 scientific hoaxes of all time by the Discovery Channel, and its owner was indicted on charges of forgery. ** Archaeologists from Israel to the United States denounced the ossuary as a hoax.**

“It’s a publicity stunt, and it will make these guys very rich,” University of Arizona archaeologist William G. Dever told The Washington Post in 2007. “And it will upset millions of innocent people because they don’t know enough to separate fact from fiction.”

Over the years there have been so many “shocking revelations”: Jesus faked his death (and resurrection), He was gay, married, never existed, Christianity was invented by the Romans to to dupe the masses, blah, blah.

Debunking the Latest “Married Jesus” Hoax

:clapping::rotfl::clapping: Best complementary photofunny I’ve seen in a while.

Best use of the verb “burble” since Lewis Carroll coined its past tense use in his classic poem Jabberwocky (1872).

Which is a better thing to read (for all its intentional absurdity) than THIS … stuff … again. :wink:

jabberwocky.com/carroll/jabber/jabberwocky.html

Jimmy Akin has an article on this book now:

Have they discovered a new “lost Gospel” that says Jesus was married?

Not for a normal person, no. But for Christ?

It would be an abomination, a trivialization, and a denial of all He came to do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.