The boring issue of the images.

The images are prohibited by Exodus 20,4-5. In fact, the punishment covers third and fourth generations of idolatry practitioners. That in itself is sufficient to make Catholics abandon the Church. And yes they will be newly baptized non-Catholic Christians. But what about Exodus 20,6,? "God promises to bless the tenth generation of those who abandon the practices of worship of saints," the flock was told at the local non-Catholic Church. And yet, any body can find non-Catholic brothers whose sons and daughters felt victims of bad habits, locked up in jail, or ended at the local cementery. Out of curiosity one could always remember, "God promises to bless the tenth generation of those who abandon the practices of worship of saints". Will you?

Attempting to make Catholics leave the Church is forbidden here. Strange that as a fellow Catholic you would want them to.

Wow. A real, live iconoclast. I thought we got rid of your like centuries ago. Shame. Every heresy lives on in modern times, and is taken as bravery by fools. “Will you?” Will I what? Turn my back on those who have entered the heavenly Jerusalem and pray for us before the throne of God? Surely you jest!

Enjoy! :wink:

[quote="Ricardo_Gomez, post:1, topic:305655"]
The images are prohibited by Exodus 20,4-5. In fact, the punishment covers third and fourth generations of idolatry practitioners. That in itself is sufficient to make Catholics abandon the Church. And yes they will be newly baptized non-Catholic Christians. But what about Exodus 20,6,? "God promises to bless the tenth generation of those who abandon the practices of worship of saints," the flock was told at the local non-Catholic Church. And yet, any body can find non-Catholic brothers whose sons and daughters felt victims of bad habits, locked up in jail, or ended at the local cementery. Out of curiosity one could always remember, "God promises to bless the tenth generation of those who abandon the practices of worship of saints". Will you?

[/quote]

Have you found an image of the golden calf at your church? :D

Exodus 20:6 and showing loving kindness unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments

Again I ask you have you seen any one worshiping saints?
By the way you need to know that saints = us the members of the Church, Saints = those that are in Heaven with our Lord

The Cathechism of the Catholic Church says:
Article 1

"I BELIEVE IN GOD THE FATHER ALMIGHTY, CREATOR OF HEAVEN AND EARTH"**

201 To Israel, his chosen, God revealed himself as the only One: "Hear, O Israel: the LORD our God is one LORD; and you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might."4 Through the prophets, God calls Israel and all nations to turn to him, the one and only God: "Turn to me and be saved, all the ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other.. . To me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear. 'Only in the LORD, it shall be said of me, are righteousness and strength.'"

We Catholics worship in adoration only GOD for He is the only worthy of receiving "Latria"

All the Saints and Angels and the Blesses Virgin Mary Mother of Jesus our Lord are our friends in Heaven and we love them and respect them and wish to imitate them in following Jesus. We do NOT worship them we Honour them and give praise to the Lord that He gave us them as examples to follow and we ask them to intercede with our Father that he sends his Guifts to us.
In other words we catholic send prayers to God through them so that it may be fulfilled. For it is written:

Revelation of John 5:8 8 And when he had taken the book, the four living creatures and the four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having each one a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.

and also:

Revelation of John 8:3 And another angel came and stood over the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should add it unto the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.
Revelation of John 8:4 And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, went up before God out of the angel’s hand.

We are the saints, members of the Church here on earth as St Paul wrote in Romans:

Romans 1:7 To all that are in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans 15:25 but now, I say , I go unto Jerusalem, ministering unto the saints.

Romans 15:26 For it hath been the good pleasure of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor among the saints that are at Jerusalem.

Romans 16:15 Salute Philologus and Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints that are with them.

There is much that you need to learn yet, let not be said of you that you have lead astray saints:

Matthew: 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man lead you astray.
Matthew: 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am the Christ; and shall lead many astray.

Well, see, here’s the thing, we don’t worship saints, so that practice can’t be abandoned because it isn’t done.

also, Exodus 20:6 says “but showing love down to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.”

What about Numbers 21:8 "The LORD said to Moses, "Make a snake and put it up on a pole; anyone who is bitten can look at it and live."(I just picked a random translation).

God said to Moses to make an image, did God break his own law? God did not want that we worship pictures but this did not prohibit pictures completely.

Actually this issue of images taken out of context by our protestant brethen is annoying to say the least for it really shows how little they actually know the scriptures. This from people that are supposed to be “Sola Scriptura”

So let’s look at Exodus the same book they take the quote were “images” are forbidden.

Here God is instructing Moses on how to build the Ark of the Covenant:

Exodus:
25:18 And thou shalt make two cherubim of gold; of beaten work shalt thou make them, at the two ends of the mercy-seat.
25:19 And make one cherub at the one end, and one cherub at the other end: of one piece with the mercy-seat shall ye make the cherubim on the two ends thereof.
25:20 And the cherubim shall spread out their wings on high, covering the mercy-seat with their wings, with their faces one to another; toward the mercy-seat shall the faces of the cherubim be.

So God tells Moises to make 2 images in pure gold! :bigyikes:

And here we see Solomon building the Temple in Jerusalem:

I Kings:
6:23 And in the oracle he made two cherubim of olive-wood, each ten cubits high.

(4.5 Metres High) Mighty BIG statues eh!

6:24 And five cubits was the one wing of the cherub, and five cubits the other wing of the cherub: from the uttermost part of the one wing unto the uttermost part of the other were ten cubits.
6:25 And the other cherub was ten cubits: both the cherubim were of one measure and one form.
6:26 The height of the one cherub was ten cubits, and so was it of the other cherub.
6:27 And he set the cherubim within the inner house; and the wings of the cherubim were stretched forth, so that the wing of the one touched the one wall, and the wing of the other cherub touched the other wall; and their wings touched one another in the midst of the house.
6:28 And he overlaid the cherubim with gold.
6:29 And he carved all the walls of the house round about with carved figures of cherubim and palm-trees and open flowers, within and without.

So please stop this nonsense of the Jews not having statues in the Temple because it is UNBLIBICAL!

Mr. Gomez,

Did you ever see a person talking to themselves on the street? At first glance, you think that their crazy!, But when you get a second look - you see the bluetooth headset in their ear. What was once craziness, turns out to be a normal phone conversation!

Thinking that we worship statues is no different than this. What you see, is really not what's going on and requires only that you give them a second look. Will you?:)

[/quote]

If you're going to quote Scripture, at least quote it correctly.

Thou shalt not make to thyself a graven thing, nor the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, nor of those things that are in the waters under the earth. Thou shalt not adore them, nor serve them: I am the Lord thy God, mighty, jealous, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me: And shewing mercy unto thousands to them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Exodus 20:4-6 (emphasis added).

Once you read the actual words of Scripture, it all becomes clear: you can't worship or adore the graven images. You can't hate God. But making graven images? Not banned at all.

If you truly believe that graven images are prohibited even if you don't worship them, then get rid of your coins, currency, credit and charge cards, photographs, identification, and so on. Then, since the very same passage also prohibits "the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, nor of those things that are in the waters under the earth," get rid of your children's stuffed animals, most sports memorabilia, that finger painting your kid made of the family, and (just to top it off) the Ichthys (that Christian fish symbol used during the Roman persecutions).

Or you could agree with the Catholic Church that Scripture forbids the worshipping of idols in God's place -- but not the making of objects not for worship.

[/quote]

I don't believe you are Catholic. Nothing wrong with that except for the deception.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.