The Brave New World

BRITAIN’S leading medical ethics expert has suggested that the frail and elderly should consider suicide to stop them becoming a financial burden on their families and society.

Baroness Warnock spoke on the eve of a Commons debate on the Mental Capacity Bill, which critics claim will allow “euthanasia by the back door”.

In an interview with The Sunday Times, she said: "I know I’m not really allowed to say it, but one of the things that would motivate me [to die] is I couldn’t bear hanging on and being such a burden on people.
"In other contexts, sacrificing oneself for one’s family would be considered good. I don’t see what is so horrible about the motive of not wanting to be an increasing nuisance.

“If I went into a nursing home it would be a terrible waste of money that my family could use far better.”

Warnock, 80, a Lords’ cross-bencher who helped frame Britain’s legalisation on embryo research, also suggests that parents of premature babies should be charged to keep them on life support machines if doctors write off their chances of leading a healthy life.

“Maybe it has come down to saying ‘Okay, they can stay alive but the family will have to pay for it.’ Otherwise it will be an awful drain on public resources,” she said. Warnock sat on a Lords select committee which agreed on a ban on euthanasia in 1993, but last year she conceded that the law needed to be reviewed.

timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,1-523-1400140-523,00.html

[quote=HagiaSophia]BRITAIN’S
Warnock sat on a Lords select committee which agreed on a ban on euthanasia in 1993, but last year she conceded that the law needed to be reviewed.

timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,1-523-1400140-523,00.html
[/quote]

Conditions change, you see…now THAT’s relativism! :frowning:

:frowning:

I need to reread that book…

As Christian perhaps we might want to consider putting our money together to buy Islands up. If this keeps up the medical industry will just be a another term for an ampitheator.When you open a can of worms, don’t be surprised if snakes crawl.God Bless

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]As Christian perhaps we might want to consider putting our money together to buy Islands up.
[/quote]

Well Mel Gibson just did.

If only she realized that it could very well be the prayers of these poor suffering souls that could very well get hers into heaven.

Linda H.

I am so thankful to be Catholic. The cross is still a scandal.I can only imagine a family member saying to grandma," well grandma we love you very much, but your old and your draining our finances, so would you consider committing suicide,so you are not a burden on us?":crying: Seriously, the thought of old or sick people being made to feel that way breaks my heart.Lets pray for Britain,and a change of heart as well as our country, there are forces who would love for us to take this possition,too.God Bless

How long will it be before we hear such proposals in the U.S. as an effective way of solving the Social Security crisis?

[quote=chicago]How long will it be before we hear such proposals in the U.S. as an effective way of solving the Social Security crisis?
[/quote]

They are already here - it’s just not as overt due to the strong religious base in the country - but we are going to hear more and more about it - it’s going to be disguised under various “names” but the bottom line will always be the same - utilitarian quality of life. An individual has no innate dignity or right to life - being “useful” is the sole purpose. Like dead plants we are to be weeded out when we can’t meet the criteria.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.