The Bride of Christ

In another thread it was seemingly unknown that the Church is the Bride of Christ, and thought that only charismatics believed this. Are others unaware of this teaching? It is a document proclaimed officially by Holy Mother Church.

1. And first of all let us imitate the breath of His love. For the Church, the Bride of Christ, is one; and yet so vast is the love of the divine Spouse that it embraces in His Bride the whole human race without exception.
    True love of the Church, therefore, requires not only that we should be mutually solicitous one for another as members of the same Body, rejoicing in the glory of the other members and sharing in their suffering, but likewise that we should recognize in other men, although they are not yet joined to us in the Body of the Church, our brothers in Christ according to the flesh, called, together with us, to the same eternal salvation. It is true, unfortunately, especially today, that there are some who extol enmity, hatred, and spite as if they enhanced the dignity and the worth of man.

adoremus.org/MysticiCorporisChristi.html

The latter paragraph is a beautiful reminder as we begin our new year that all men are worthy of dignity and respect, even those who are not yet joined to us.

CCC#823 *"The Church . . . is held, as a matter of faith, to be unfailingly holy. This is because Christ, the Son of God, who with the Father and the Spirit is hailed as ‘alone holy,’ loved the Church as his Bride, giving himself up for her so as to sanctify her; he joined her to himself as his body and endowed her with the gift of the Holy Spirit for the glory of God."289 The Church, then, is "the holy People of God,"290 and her members are called "saints."291 *

CCC#789 The comparison of the Church with the body casts light on the intimate bond between Christ and his Church. Not only is she gathered around him; she is united in him, in his body. Three aspects of the Church as the Body of Christ are to be more specifically noted: the unity of all her members with each other as a result of their union with Christ; Christ as head of the Body; and the Church as bride of Christ.

Thanks, Karin,

I found this one from the CCC, also:

808 The Church is the Bride of Christ: he loved her and handed himself over for her. He has purified her by his blood and made her the fruitful mother of all God’s children.

After posting, I got my coffee and went to read my Catholic Newspaper that our diocese mails to each Catholic, and did a doubletake, for on the front page was the Pope’s message on New Year’s Day:

I do so particularly with the special message I prepared – with my collaborators of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace – whose theme this year is: “The Human Person, Heart of Peace.” The latter touches an essential point, the value of the human person, who is the pillar of the whole great edifice of peace. At present there is much talk about human rights, but it is often forgotten that they need a stable – not relative or debatable – foundation. And this can only be the person’s dignity. Respect for this dignity begins with the recognition and protection of the person’s right to freely live and profess his religion.

Zenit
Code: ZE07010105
Date: 2007-01-01

How utterly timely! May we all heed his message and be instruments of peace, cherishing one another.

Was this the question? It was the Holy Spirit in question, not Christ. I asked because it was a statement that I heard was misguided. Perhaps I was wrong.

• The Church is not on trial here, and there is never a good reason, IMO, to air her weaknesses publicly to put Her in a bad light. This is the Spouse of the Holy Spirit,* and nobody speaks evil of their bride… never!

*So do you call Mary the Bride of Christ?

The only people I have heard call the church “The Spouse of the Holy Spirit” are the Charismatics.*

The question about Mary being the Bride of Christ came in the middle, as more of a question about the Holy Spirit than Our Holy Mother or the church.

Some here are actually quite smart, quite savy and extremely open in what he/she believes.

I wish I was as intelligent as some of our posters.

7) Don’t jump threads. If you get involved in an argument in one thread, it’s considered poor manners to restart the previous argument in the middle of an unrelated thread. Also, if the moderator closes a thread, consider the subject closed and do not begin it anew in another thread.

Let us all remember the WISE MODERATORS words!

Interesting post, but what does it have to do with the main topic of this thread (that the Church is the Bride of Christ)…cherish one another…does that mean I have to cherish your form of worship?

**Net, **

You can spin this any way you wish. It was a FYI type of thread that would serve to educate and hopefully inspire with the beautiful document I referenced in the link.

Since the Father, Son and Spirit are ONE, it is not a misnomer to say that the Church is the Bride [aka Spouse] of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is continuing the work of Jesus, as He reminded us in the latter chapters of John, that “the Spirit would bring to mind everything I have said to you.”

You are fastidious about semantics, forgetting to look at the spirit in which something is stated.

Karin,

Did you read the Holy Father’s address at Zenit? May I invite you to form your own opinion on his words, and that we cherish one another as living souls in the Body of Christ. As such, we begin with respecting everyone’s dignity, as the Pope exhorted us.

Yes I did…but my question is what does it have to do with the Bride of Christ? The address does not apply to your OP.

I can respect your dignity but we are back to the original question I posed to you…did you post this article because you want us to cherish you the person or cherish the worhsip service that the person attends?

You know I have yet to find a document that states that the Holy Spirit is the Bride of Christ…every thing I see is that the Bride of Christ is the Church and the Church is the Temple of the Holy Spirit.

**III. THE CHURCH IS THE TEMPLE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT **
CCC#797 "*What the soul is to the human body, the Holy Spirit is to the Body of Christ, which is the Church."243 "To this Spirit of Christ, as an invisible principle, is to be ascribed the fact that all the parts of the body are joined one with the other and with their exalted head; for the whole Spirit of Christ is in the head, the whole Spirit is in the body, and the whole Spirit is in each of the members."244 **The Holy Spirit makes the Church “the temple of the living God”:**245 *

Good morning Joysong!
I had not heard too much about the church being the “Spouse of the Holy Spirit” except from the women who took over at my last parish.
The title of the thread and your first post didn’t convey the question that was brought up before.
The one holy and apostolic church has always been known as the Bride of Christ, so I’m not really sure where the question came from.
If it concerns “The Spouse of the Holy Spirit” I was looking for a reference to that statement, not just personal opinion.
I would prefer to have guidance from the Vatican on matters of scripture.

So perhaps looking at the spirit in which something is asked should be from both sides.
Starting a statement accusing someone of spin, doesn’t seem to me to be in that spirit.

Er, is this spirit any relation to the Spirit of Vatican II?

Sorry Joysong, I just couldn’t resist. :smiley:

Aye, what a wonderful rule, thanks for posting this :slight_smile: Let’s ALL try to remember this one. :wink:

Now to the matter at hand. I’m confused, I thought we did call the Church the Bride of Christ? I apologized I didn’t read through CCC quotes Karin put up. I’m mainly blundering in, a lazy thing I know. :o My heater is broke and I’m cranky but HEY I have a fire going:thumbsup: and YES it gets cold in Cali…39 degrees this morning…sorry off topic. :slight_smile:

Geez oh Pete, it’s warmer here in MI!
Hot chocolate and a rosary. Cures all that the weather can throw at ya!

Yes **ALL **of us:)

well if you read the CCC reference or the OP…you would see that we **DO **call the Church the Bride of Christ…

Every Church reference that I have read----the Church is called the Bride of Christ.

That is what I have read also…:slight_smile:

Well, I was having tea but hot chocolate sounds good and my rosary is sitting right here next to me :wink: I’m trying to get better about praying everyday again. I got really lazy about it.

well if you read the CCC reference or the OP…you would see that we **DO **call the Church the Bride of Christ…

Now that would require effort Karin, I’m still trying to talk myself into putting away Christmas dishes :rolleyes: :wink:

to much effort to even read the Original Post (OP)??

I’m joking, I’m actually posting on another thread as I’m part of the internet junkies clan :wink: I will read it my friend. To be honest when I was converting that was a concept I had trouble understanding. I like it when things like this come up because it forces me to go read the catechism more often :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.