The Call to Sanctify the Family

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Today I began chapter 18 in the book by Sister Lucia of Fatima: “Calls” From the Message of Fatima. I was immediately struck by the title of this chapter because it is such a crucial need in the world today – more than when I first read this book – and perhaps more urgent than ever before in the Church and in the world. In the chapter, “The Call to the sanctification of the family”. Sister Lucia wrote:

God chose to conclude the Message in Fatima, in October 1917 with three further apparitions which I regard as three more calls placed before us for our consideration, so that we may keep them in mind during our earthly pilgrimage…

…The first was the apparition of the Holy Family: Our Lady, and the Child Jesus in the arms of St. Joseph, blessing the people.

God willing, I’ll continue this in my next post.

I have to agree our families need special help right now…

Our pastor gave an excellent homily on the breakdown of families today.

I am reminded of Venerable Archbishop Sheen’s book “Three to Get Married”. The Lord needs to be first in the husband and wife’s life, then each other, then the children.

And I also remember Father Peyton’s favorite saying…“The family that prays together, stays together.”

Dear Dorothy and Petra,

Thank you both so much for your replies. I want to continue posting more on what Sister Lucia wrote in this chapter of her book: * “Calls” From the Message of Fatima* It was the last book before she died (in her nineties) and to me, this Chapter 18 is a very significant chapter on the “Sanctification of the Family”. I may not have time to post more today, since I need to prepare a talk on the “Legion of Mary” for the RCIA class.

Each year, the different ministries are invited to share with the RCIA class what their individual ministry is about so the neophites, may begin to discern by the power of the Holy Spirit what form of apostolate they may be called to as new members of the Catholic Church.

The Legion of Mary welcomes men, women, and children so I hope to offer it as a possible ministry in which whole families may be involved and serve God and His Church. Please pray for me and for all who will be at the meeting tonight. Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.