The case of Magdalena Dela Cruz and Mysticism

Mercy unto you, and peace, and charity be fulfilled. Jude 1:2 D-R Translation

Hello and good day to you all

Quite recently I read about Magdalena Dela Cruz,the nun who appeared to be a Christian mystic but was actually being manipulated by the devil. :(

Is this why people especially the church and clergy should be and are extremely wary and cautious of mysticism? Is there any way to differentiate our personal experiences with God and with the Devil playing tricks on us? Or is it simply better to have faith,be a good person and to follow God's Word through scriptures and the church.

[quote="RCIAGraduate, post:1, topic:333537"]
Mercy unto you, and peace, and charity be fulfilled. Jude 1:2 D-R Translation

Hello and good day to you all

Quite recently I read about Magdalena Dela Cruz,the nun who appeared to be a Christian mystic but was actually being manipulated by the devil. :(

Is this why people especially the church and clergy should be and are extremely wary and cautious of mysticism? Is there any way to differentiate our personal experiences with God and with the Devil playing tricks on us? Or is it simply better to have faith,be a good person and to follow God's Word through scriptures and the church.

[/quote]

Good day to you also,and the peace of Christ be with you.

I think the church is very wise in their cautious approach to mysticism. Many who truly experience consolations from the Holy Spirit accept the gift silently or speak with their priest. Mysticism should never be the focus of your spiritual growth.

If you have faith,are a good person,and truly seek God through scripture and the church,you cannot go wrong or be mislead. Humility and obedience are the key to all virtues.

In the case of Magdalena de Cruz, she had made a pact with the devil. She cooperated with the evil one.

Such stories should not stop us from pursuing a deeper prayer life, with the help of good teaching about prayer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.