The cashier is always right?

Today at the grocery store, the cashier accidentally rang up 19 avocados, when I was only buying one. Thankfully, I noticed the mistake before swiping my card. It took her several more tries to get it right. When I finally saw the total, I knew that was much too low for all that I had bought. I told her the total didn’t look right, and she said she had taken a few items off for all the trouble she caused me. I saw on the receipt she had taken $14 off my purchase.
Should I go back to the store and pay the $14 she took off my purchase? She wasn’t the manager and I don’t think she had the authority to do that. Or, have I done my part already by bringing it to the cashier’s attention and her insisting that she give me that discount?

I’d say you’ve done your part.

I’ve been a cashier multiple times and to do something like that would have been way above my authority, but that’s her concern, not yours. She may have even made a mistake taking the items off and didn’t want the hassle of ringing up the missing items again, especially if there was a line. Cash registers can be very, very picky about how items are rung up, and it can be a very stressful job to have. I would say a prayer for her and be thankful it worked out for you, but you didn’t steal from the company.

Leave it.
Why cause more trouble for the cashier?

Well, you might get the cashier in trouble :stuck_out_tongue: Those receipts are all ID’d. Personally I’d just let it go. Donate the difference to something if you feel so compelled.

I think a lot of the interfaces on a lot of cash registers in stores is pretty retro (designed 10-15 years ago and not replaced yet); it’s not as easy to do things as what it could be. She probably became flustered at the idea of upsetting you and/or piling up a long line and couldn’t think straight anymore, so just promptly rang you out. I work as a clerk in the evenings and I’ve taken a pro-active approach to training myself to become immune to customers and lines, but it takes time & discipline.

Hi Mariagoretti24,

No, you can keep the money. I honestly think you’re being a little too scrupulous.

A cashier does have the authority to drop prices at their discretion for valid reasons. If she didn’t have the authority to do it, the manager would have had to come over and punch in a code to authorize it.

While she may not have been the manager, her particular store may allow cashiers some flexibility in the name of customer service. In some cases, a cashier may be authorized to allow a small loss if it restores a customer’s faith in the store and their service. Since you brought it up and she didn’t mind I wouldn’t worry about it. If you are very concerned then like others have said, you can just donate the same amount to a charity.

Place the $14 in the collection basket and let it serve as it may.

When I have cashiered, I have made similar mistakes. The responders are correct about the difficulty in correcting errors on cash registers. I doubt the cashier had the authority to deduct $14 off your purchase; I think that he or she was probably just trying to get you through the line. However, the store would not expect you to pay the $14.00. The cashier made the decision, not you. But it is just and charitable of you to be concerned about this.

I agree with the others. I’ve also been able to provide discounts or refunds at my discretion (if they were under a certain amount) at a previous job, for customer satisfaction. Most likely, there is a monetary cap amount on what the cashier would be able to refund before she’d have to ask the manager for approval.

You might think of this way as well; if the cashier *doesn’t *actually have the authority to do what she did, and you go back to the store and report this to a manager, the employee could get in trouble, or possibly fired. It could be a case of the store losing money because of her actions; but then it’s not as though she pocketed the money for herself. And since the store most likely considers such an amount to be negligible (as far as losses), I don’t see any moral reason to bring it up again.

I recall twice getting charged for less bottles of drinking water than what I actually had. I went straight to the service desk and payed the difference. I don’t bring every similar situation to the store’s attention. A few cents difference would probably make things more problematic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.