The casserole poll! Love them - hate them?

Everyone has a distinct feeling about casseroles - either you love them or you hate them. Very seldom do I see anyone who is mostly indifferent.

So - in this cold season of comfort food - do you love them, hate them, and what are your favorites?

~Liza

I really don't make any... but I'm open to trying something new!

Any recipe ideas???

Love 'em! Convenient, easy, healthy and nutritious--what's not to love?

Unfortunately, my husband doesn't like them, so I haven't had or made a casserole in a really, really long time.

What I used to like doing when I was a kid was, the next day with the leftovers in the fridge, when they have thickened and turned to "jelly", slice them and make sandwiches out of them. Yum! :)

I can't remember the last time I had one, but I have fond memories of my moms cheesy tuna casserole!

Perhaps Ill call her and get the recipie!

hrm?
casserole… uh. you know. i am not sure i ever had one.

what exactly is a casserole anyway?

[quote="fabricdragon, post:6, topic:186460"]
hrm?
casserole....... uh. you know. i am not sure i ever had one.

[/quote]

Typically something baked in a casserole dish (wide and somewhat shallow) that is a combination of ingredients such as rice or noodles, a sauce of some sort, a meat, and possible veggies. All mixed up and baked into bubbly goodness.

Mmmmm!! :thumbsup:

Can ya tell how I voted?

I love good old fashioned tuna-noodle-casserole with potato chips on top. :D

~Liza

[quote="lizaanne, post:7, topic:186460"]
Typically something baked in a casserole dish (wide and somewhat shallow) that is a combination of ingredients such as rice or noodles, a sauce of some sort, a meat, and possible veggies. All mixed up and baked into bubbly goodness.

Mmmmm!! :thumbsup:

Can ya tell how I voted?

I love good old fashioned tuna-noodle-casserole with potato chips on top. :D

~Liza

[/quote]

Have you ever had macaroni and ham casserole with Kellogg's Corn Flakes sprinkled on top? :)

'Round these parts, they’re called HOTDISH! :smiley:

Greenbean hotdish.
Stroganoff hotdish.
Rice hotdish.
Spaghetti hotdish.
Tator Tot Hotdish.
Etc…

a thing with noodles and rice.. plus other stuff, and cheese or sauce.... but BAKED at least in part?

so... if i made my rice, beans, vegetables and cheese in a baking dish its a casserole?

my various noodle and whatever and canned soup dishes would be a casserole if i baked them instead of heating them up separately and putting them on a plate, or heating them in a microwave?

i will have to try it.
i dont eat ham, but i have plenty of dishes i make that sound like they could be baked into this casserole....

[quote="fabricdragon, post:6, topic:186460"]
hrm?
casserole....... uh. you know. i am not sure i ever had one.

[/quote]

Casserole comes from the French word for sauce pan. It is a deep pan in which food is cooked and then taken to the table. That's the classic definition.

[quote="lizaanne, post:1, topic:186460"]
Everyone has a distinct feeling about casseroles - either you love them or you hate them. Very seldom do I see anyone who is mostly indifferent.

So - in this cold season of comfort food - do you love them, hate them, and what are your favorites?

~Liza

[/quote]

I love 'em. Husband says he hates them until I remind him that lasagna, baked ziti, mexican lasagna and such are casseroles.

Absolutely! I’ve made things up before and done them as a casserole based on what I had in the fridge/cupboards. What my husband calls “spare” food - or leftovers - make great casseroles.

~Liza

I’m in St. Louis…never heard them called that.

I LOVE casseroles, but seldom get them. I make a couple pseudo-casseroles, the kind that never make it to the oven instead. Macaroni and Cheeseburger…Brown a pound of ground beef (rinse and drain it in hot water), make 2 packages of mac and cheese, and toss it all together with a 12 ounce can of V-8. Gets some sneaky vegetables into the guy whose motto is “nothing from the earth”. You can toss a can of beans and a package of chili seasoning and make it Chili Mac and Cheeseburger.

I love the Jiffy corn casserole, with the Jiffy corn bread mix, cream corn, regular corn, sour cream…I don’t remember what else. I toss some chopped up ham or a can of beans in, and it’s a meal instead of a side dish.

However, I wouldn’t eat tuna casserole if it was the last thing on earth. My worst nightmare is going to someone’s house for dinner and she serves cooked tunafish in any form at all. Gag.

We make a vegetable casserole as a Thanksgiving side dish that knocks our socks off. It has green beans, corn, water chestnuts, shredded cheese, sour cream, cream soup, and it's topped with crushed Ritz crackers and butter. Oh my goodness.

Betsy

I like many casseroles but totally agree with you! Tuna casserole is the definition of disgusting! I don’t mind tuna and love Kraft macaroni and cheese but my mom would mix the two together and yuck!!! On Fridays, I’d have to beg her to save some innocent macaroni and cheese from a tuna death so I could eat something.

I promise to never serve you tuna casserole at my house!!!

Kris

So, that’s what “bring a hot dish to pass” means. Here I thought it didn’t have to be a casserole. All those years of disappointing the hostess explained. :smiley:

in general no, too many carbs in most recipes, although some classics are indeed comfort food. I guess because my dad hated them we never got used to them. I do like the green bean thing with the onion rings, and the broccoli-cheese-chicken-rice thing. We always had turkey tetrazinni the day after Thankgsgiving for some reason

no way i’m gonna post my potatoes au gratin recipe again. but i love casseroles.

what to do with leftovers and not enough meat for much else? casserole!

(i hate tuna casserole, too.)

Hot dish for us mid-westerners. I grew up calling them hot-dish unless it was something extra fancy. My mom made tuna noodle hot-dish often on Fridays. We had hamburger hot-dish other times.

Brenda V.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.