The Catholic Bible & The Book of Tobit

Hello Everyone, :slight_smile:

My parish mentioned a new bible study for young adults on Ruth and Tobit and I decided to go. I will be honest and say that I had only heard of Tobit once I prefer to read the NIV Bible (hence why I couldn’t find Tobit ) instead of the New American Bible or other Catholic based bibles. I wanted to invite some of my non Catholic friends (a Mormon and a Baptist) to the study since the study was on friendships/relationships. My Mormon friend couldn’t come due to work and my Baptist friend said that she had never heard of Tobit which made sense, as a result she didn’t come either.

I want to find a way to explain why Tobit is in our Bible and what a great story it is and how they can apply it to their lives.

This link did explain a few things about how Tobit and Ruth were found in the Dead Sea Scrolls but if anyone could add additional thoughts that would be great!

• I did post this in the scripture forum as well but wanted to get opinions on here as well :wink:

Well many non-Catholics do not know because their respective faiths do not include Tobit in non-Catholic Bibles.

They first need a lesson on where and how we got the Bible to begin with. Knowing a little bit about Mormons and Baptists, I would say you have your work cut out for you.

Very simply, ask them how they know that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant word of God? The answer is that the Catholic Church, led by the Holy Spirit, determined that it was. Most of them have never considered the question. You might also let them know that the Catholic version of the Old Testament was the version referred to by Jesus and the Apostles as no other version was in existence at the time. Before you can discuss Tobit, they must first believe that it is inspired. There are some other threads, currently on this forum, that discuss the canon of Scripture. I would review those as well.

Blessings.

Steve

Well the reason it’s on the Bible today is because it has been in the Bible.

First, Sadducee test Jesus by asking about the woman with seven husbands who died,
wondering to whom she would be married after the resurrection. Obviously from TOBIT!!!
That’s the most relevant as I can get, but some more information below:

Before and During the time of Jesus, there were different Jewish sects, each with their own par-
ticular canon, and the matter was never settled by the Jews until LONG after the Ascension of
Christ. By then, the Jewish leaders (after the Temple was destroyed) were understanding that
early Christians were using their own writings, particularly well also, to prove that Jesus is the
Messiah and even God.

In response to this, leaders such as Rabbi Akiva, who were particularly antichrist (1 John 2:22),
started to reform Judaism, no more sacrifices for lack of Temple, no more High Priest also lack-
ing the needed genealogical records, and even changing the Scriptures. It was by that time that
Judaism had their OFFICIAL canon, excluding the Deuterocanonical books, especially Wisdom
which probably is the most clear Old Testament witness to the coming of Jesus (See Chapter 2).

Not only were books rejected, but some things that were kept were ALSO CHANGED!
Take Psalm 45:Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: the sceptre
of thy kingdom is a sceptre of uprightness.
– ( Psalm 45:6)
That was a prophetic verse foretelling of the Messiah, but Jews didn’t like the idea
that their Messiah would be God, so they changed it (perhaps unintentionally) to :Thy throne given of God is for ever and ever; A
sceptre of equity is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
– (Psalm 45:7 - JPS Tanakh 1917)
(Also):Your throne, O judge, [will exist] forever and ever; the scepter of equity is the scepter of your kingdom.
– ( Psalm 45:7 - From chabad.org)
Too late though, because we have the more ancient and unedited
manuscripts saying different, corroborated in the New Testament:But to the Son: Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever:
a sceptre of justice is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
– (Hebrews 1:8)
We also have David saying in one of his psalms (110) that:The Lord said to my Lord: Sit thou at my right hand: Until I make thy enemies thy footstool.
– (Psalm 110:1)
The most ancient manuscript containing that verse uses the word Adonai in
both cases of “Lord”, Adonai referring most often to God. Again, Jews didn’t
like the idea that the Messiah, to which Psalm 110 was referring, being God.
So modern Jewish versions will read not “Adonai and Adonai”, but "Adonai
and “ADONI”, “Adoni” being a lesser to “Adonai.”

When is reads “Adonai spoke to my Adoni,” in modern Jewish versions
again it should truly read “Adonai spoke to my Adonai,” and this is cor–
roborated by the Dead Sea Scrolls.

So after discussing the reformation of Judaism, reformulation of Scripture, based in part
from antichrist-based attitudes towards the growth of Christianity, and especially the ed-
iting of the Tanakh to take the Divinity of the Messiah away, you may want to do some
more research on this yourself before sharing, see if I got everything correct for you.

Let me add to make clear: The Old Testament used by Protestants is the product
of antichristian Jews between the first and second century, and despite having un-
edited some of these changes, many Christian bibles today still bear the scars of
these edits, like if you read Psalm 110:1, seeing first “LORD” then “Lord,” THAT´s
from the Adonai/Adoni Edit, because many more recent bibles use the Masoretic
Texts, which are different from the pre-Christian Jewish Scriptures.

So with that, revisiting Tobit, Jews officially excluded it AFTER Christianity began, so they had no real au-
thority anymore, it’s been part of the Christian Bible since the beginning, and Protestants who reject Tobit
and other Deuterocanonical works are party to antichrists (Again: 1 John 2:22) such as that Rabbi Akiva.

Hi Steve,

I do have my work cut out for me. I think having a discussion like you suggested would be helpful. I think it would help to know what Bible they prefer to use so I have an idea. Thank you for mentioning the other threads on here I will review them too. :slight_smile:

I have a number of sources that respond to your OP, but there’s a catch: I’m affiliated with a University, and thus have access to a lot of material the general public doesn’t (a sad fact for “Academia” in general – most research and scholarly output is restricted behind firewalls that only University systems can afford to pay for)

You might be able to find these through an inter-library loan, or if you’d be able to access a local college’s library system.

Deuterocanonical and Cognate Literature Studies : Marriage in the Book of Tobit
Miller, Geoffrey David (isbn: 9783110247879 )

“Tobit’s Theological Blindness” – Micah D. Kiel, found in Catholic Biblical Quarterly. Apr2011, Vol. 73 Issue 2, p281-298.

The Jewish Teachers of Jesus, James, and Jude What Earliest Christianity Learned from the Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha by David A deSilva (which I don’t have an isbn for)

All of these are available online in full if you can access the right archives.

I think, though, you might be better served by a bookstore oriented toward a popular audience that could provide materials that provide a quick run-down of Canonization in Christian history (whether Catholic Answer’s resources, or a Catholic or Christian bookstore locally)

While Orthodox and not Catholic, I really liked Invitation to the Septuagint, which can be found here: amazon.com/Invitation-Septuagint-Karen-H-Jobes/dp/080103115X

It provides a solid defense of traditional canonization.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.