The Catholic Church and demons

I’d like some insight here. It was my belief that demons were cast out of Heaven for sinning against God, and although they have already been judged, they are not yet powerless in Hell, since they are tempting and interfering with the affairs of mankind just as their unfallen peers are positively interfering with mankind as God’s servants. Yet I’ve heard on many instances of Satan being in Hell. Is there the liberty of speculation on this?

Demons are fallen angels. Like their more obedient counterparts (and also Saints), demons cannot directly influence humanity unless God specifically grants this. It requires a miracle of God for a demon (or a Saint) to directly influence humanity on our mortal level.

Nice two pronged question there TK421. Lemme take a crack at it cracks knuckles

Okay so in the beginning before Creation (Earth, humanity, twinkies) God created the hosts of Heaven ,the celestial beings we call angels. Lucifer having rebelled against God and refusing to bow before His created beings and His authority felt that he hinself could be like God. He and a third of Heaven’s hosts were cast out by St. Michael with the infamous battle cry “WHO IS LIKE UNTO GOD?!”

So. There’s a brief recap of the story of The Fall, lacking MUCH detail as you seem already familiar with it. In the Prayer to Saint Michael (The archangel who cast Lucofer from Heaven) we ask that he "by the power of God cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits who roam the Earth seeking the ruin of souls. Now having said that we can assume Satan and his minions are roaming the same Earth we walk on in order to tempt us and ruin our chances for salvation. The Church teaches this. However the devil is bound by exactly HOW much he can do.

God does not allow him to RULE the Earth (Revelation states he will have this chance shortly before The Ressurection) and as such only holds any semblance of authority in Hell itself. Now there have been many depictions in literature such as Dante’s inferno that show Lucifer bound in chains in the bottom lf Hell. I believe it is depictions such as these that lead some to have the giew that he is chained up in hell. Does that help?**

Woe I failed to mention a huge point. It is important to note that celestial beings are pure spirit and as pure intellects with no physical form or body to speak of there is no way that demons can be “bound” in the sense of chains or rope. They are bound by the Word of God. So when God said, “Look Lucifer your teachings and attitude are kinda wearing on my last nerve here you are banished from my Kingdom” (may have paraphrased a LITTLE) we have the depiction of two human like creatures with wings and spears battling over control of Heaven but in actuality they would have no such need of wings nor weapons. The language of the Holy Spirit is always interpretted to human language…to our deficit. The human mind can not comprehend angels nor God. At least not while living. However my point is that it was the fact that God commanded Lucifer to leave that caused him to leave. And as a pure spirit (though lacking omniscience, omnipotence and omnipresence) his capabilities are FARRRRRR greater than we could ever comprehend. It is possible that he travels between Earth and Hell or has a limitted ability to reside in both. One of my favorite things to say…It’s a mystery :wink:

You’ll more than likely find your answer in the CCC391 thru395
Catechism of the Catholic Church - The Fall CH7 (Vatican - English translation)
Personally, I’d read the entire chapter for context; however, you can always skip down a tad. :slight_smile:

You are wrong.

God is able to do whatever He wants. If He wanted to bind Satan with a feather He could.

The fact that they are celestial beings means we couldn’t tie them up but God can do absolutely anything imaginable.

While I will not engage in semantics here on the OP’s thread you can feel free to private message me if you feel that what you have just said somehow contradicts what I said to the OP. God bless.

:stuck_out_tongue:

I differ with this view.
Adam & Eve were influenced by the devil to disobey God. Jesus cast out demons from people who were possessed. Today all the evils that are committed is as a result of demonic influence, although there is the evil nature of mankind.

Satan and the fallen angels were cast out of heaven and thrown into the earth. None has gone to the burning hell so far. On the day of judgement, the devil, fallen angels and all those whose names are not written in the book of life will be thrown in the lake of fire.

Some people believe this already happened. When Christ ascended into Heaven from Sheol and unlocked its gates, the dead of Sheol went to their final destinations. The wicked into the lake of fire, the washed into life.

I’ve heard this in the Islamic account of Adam & Eve. After having made man out of clay, Allah commanded Satan to bow down before His creation. Satan, a jinn who is crafted from fire, responded in his pride that fire is greater than clay, and he would not bow.

I’ve also heard something similar to this from Bishop Fulton Sheen (although it is somewhat different). That some of the angels were filled with contempt that man, inferior to the angels in his ability, would bear the image of God rather than angels. This isn’t in Genesis, so where does it come from?

FUN FACT: Archbishop Fulton Sheen may be canonized soon or at least have one of the tso required miracles acceptes. A father asked his intercession for his stillborn child and 51 minutes after birth the stillborn was healed and had a normal heartbeat, no tissue damage from lack of oxygen- is now a healthy three year old.

Anyway back to your original question, Genesis like many other books have a great deal of oral tradition passed down with them. It is from that oral tradition that we hear Lucifer refused to bow before Creation. However this is not an official part of the magisterium. I simply wanted to cover all the bases very quickly so as to get to your more interesting- is Satan in Hell or not?

One of the visions of the children at Fatima was of a burning lake with demons and the souls of the damned being consumed. What are we to make of that???

These are very good questions for the Ask An Apologist forum- when I replied to the initial post I was only giving background and explanation of satan and his whereabouts in terms of spiritual planes. I actually never completed my thoughts because I believe it was four in the mor.ing and I had been awake for far too long. Hell is not neccessarily a place as much of a state. Just as purgatory is a state of purgation so is hell a state of permanent detachment from God. It has been depicted as a lake of fire, a pit beneath the Earth etc etc however Satan can roam the Earth while still being in Hell. At the time it was easier to say it’s a mystery lol.

Now YOU are asking WHY God did what He did. Well I’d answer by saying that God gave all His creatures free will and if the consequences for disobeying him was vaporization that wouldn’t be much of a “free” creature would it? I’d equate it to a member of Jonestown back in the seventies…sure you can go against Jim’s teachings…here have some flavor aid… Anyway God gives all of His creatures free will and our actions carry consequences set by a righteous and just God. The Fallen and Satan are punished beyond our comprehension I assure you.

They will never again know God’s embrace. To be accepted into the kingdom of the Lord. They will wander knowing nothing but agony and pain which of course they will attempt to inflict on others but I would not say this brings them “enjoyment”. Happiness, love, grace- these things stem SOLELY from God and to be cut off from Him would be to be cut off from all these things.

Take your questions to an apologist but also try to accept God knows everything, is everywhere at one time and is all powerful. His decisions are perfect just as He is perfect even if we in our flawed nature disagree. God Bless.

St. Faustina Jesus Divine Mercy

1797 Today, the Lord came to me and said, My daughter, help Me to save souls. You will go to a dying sinner, and you will continue to recite the chaplet, and in this way you will obtain for him trust in My mercy, for he is already in despair.

1798 Suddenly, I found myself in a strange cottage where an elderly man was dying amidst great torments. All about the bed was a multitude of demons and the family, who were crying. When I began to pray, the spirits of darkness fled, with hissing and threats directed at me. The soul became calm and, filled with trust, rested in the Lord.

412 I kept praying the rosary all the while, and toward dawn these beings vanished, and I was able to get some sleep. When I entered the chapel in the morning I heard a voice in my soul, You are united to Me; fear nothing. But know, my child, that Satan hates you; he hates every soul, but he burns with a particular hatred for you, because you have snatched so many souls from his dominion.

520 During the night, a soul I had already seen before visited me. However, it did not ask for prayer, but reproached me, saying that I used to be very haughty and vain…. “and now you are interceding for others while you yourself still have certain vices.” I answered that I indeed had been vain and haughty, but that I had confessed this and had done penance for my stupidity, and that I trusted in the goodness of my God, and that if I still fell occasionally, this was indeliberate and never premeditated, even in the smallest things. Still, the soul continued to reproach me, saying, “Why are you unwilling to recognise my greatness? Why do you alone not glorify me for my great deeds as all others do?” Then I saw that this was Satan under the assumed appearance of this soul and I said, “Glory is due to God alone; begone Satan!” And in an instant this soul fell into an abyss, horrible beyond all description.

540 How terribly ugly Satan is! The poor damned souls that have to keep him company! Just the sight of him is more disgusting than all the torments of hell.

1167 Satan has admitted to me that I am the object of his hatred. He said that “a thousand souls do me less harm than you do when you speak of the great mercy of the Almighty One. The greatest sinners regain confidence and return to God, and I lose everything. But what is more, you persecute me personally with that unfathomable mercy of the Almighty One.” I took note of the great hatred Satan has for the Mercy of God. He does not want to acknowledge that God is good.

1465 Taking the form of an apparition he said, “Do not pray for sinners, but for yourself, for you will be damned.” Paying no attention to Satan, I continued to pray with redoubled fervour for sinners. The Evil Spirit howled with fury, “Oh, if I had power over you!” and disappeared. I saw that my suffering and prayer shackled Satan and snatched many souls from his clutches.

1583 As I write this, I hear Satan grinding his teeth. He cannot stand God‟s mercy, and keeps banging things in my cell. But I feel so much of God‟s power within me that it does not even bother me that the enemy of our salvation gets angry, and I quietly keep on writing.

How is it possible for satan to be in 2 places at once? I thought only God had this ability?

Where does it say that Satan was in two places at once?

Don’t forget Satan doesn’t need a bus to get around. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.