The Catholic Church in Canada and gay marriage

Is there anyone on here from Canada? Over the years I recall learning that speech is a lot more restricted in Canada. I seem to remember a well-known conservative from the U.S. being threatened with arrest for a speech she gave in Canada. I also seem to think, though I’m not sure from where, that gay marriage is accepted in Canada. Is this correct? If so, are people allowed to criticize and speak out against gay marriage there, or is it considered hate speech? Can priests in Canada lecture about it being disordered and about the virtues of traditional marriage? Or has the Church given up the issue? Does anyone know anything about this?

My Mother is from Montreal-many family members there-suspect you have been shocked too many times-free speech -and no the Catholic CHurch does not condone same sex marriage in Canada -nor Zimbabwe or any place else-

It had nothing to do with Gay people. If she represents the average American - well we don’t need that kind of talk here. Gay marriage is not allowed in a Catholic Church just like everywhere else and the priest can have a sermon against gay marriage but as you know as of late there is the chance of backlash from all sorts of people - even in the USA as I have read lately especially on abortion. You can say anything you want as long as it is not promoting hatred against any identifiable groups in the populations - colour, race, religion, ethnic origin or sexual orientation. Speaking genocide is crimanal offence as it should be.

I hate to tell you this but you guys are going down the same road - its just a mater of time.

As you can see she was not threatened with criminal prosecution she was told to be careful with her comments as with her mouth the possibility was there that she would cross the line.

In 2010, Coulter had to cancel her scheduled tour of three Canadian universities. Students gathered outside of the University of Ottawa hall where Coulter was prepared to speak, and successfully forced organizers to cancel the event. The backlash there resulted from a remark that Coulter made to a Muslim college student during her first event on that tour, at the University of Western Ontario. The young woman was responding to comments that Coulter had previously made regarding invading Islamic countries, killing their leaders, and converting their citizens to Christianity, and another instance where Coulter said that she had reviewed the civil rights lawsuits against airlines so that she could choose to fly with the one that had subjected Arabs to the most “egregious discrimination,” and also suggested Arabs could use “flying carpets” for transport.

The student, Fatima Al-Dhaher, asked Coulter, “First of all, as a 17 year-old student of this university, Muslim, should I be converted to Christianity? Second of all, since I don’t have a magic carpet, what other modes do you suggest?” With her customary quick wit and class, Coulter told the student to “take a camel.” This comment came after Coulter had been politely encouraged by University of Ottawa VP Academic and Provost, François Houle, to review what defines hate speech under Canadian law. He was even nice enough to point out to Coulter that under the Criminal Code of Canada, “promoting hatred against any identifiable group would not only be considered inappropriate, but could in fact lead to criminal charges.” Naturally the attention-hungry Coulter responded to his letter with outrage, saying that Houle was “threatening to criminally prosecute” her before she “even set foot in the country.”

My priest spoke specifically about same-sex attraction at the Sunday Masses. As a matter of fact, the municipality we are living in is encouraging through a formal letter that all the schools implement a non-bullying program, which specifically has a formation of education that denies what the Catholic church teaches re same sex attraction. As a result there will be a forum at our church for parents of children in secular schools locally to understand what is happening and how to address it with their children. He spoke of the statement in the Catechism of the Catholic Church ( 2357-2359).

Due to problems in Canada re: facilities being used for purposes that are against Catholic teaching and later being sued for not allowing the facilities, we have changed the use/purpose of all our facilities to church-related events only, unless specifically approved by the pastor.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.